Taurus Firearm Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Well, there is good news and bad news.
Good news. Looks like I will be able to make a trip to the Leeds Firing Range in the Sumter National Forest in the near future.
Should be able to make it out there before the end of this month.
Bad news. 100 yard accuracy will be crap if 50 yards is any indication of how .22LR ammo is so inconsistent.

Bought some 3/4" PVC and fittings to make my target stand portable.

Target Stand.JPG

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Stallard - wow. Looks like you can pick the color of the hair that you want to split on the 'yotes! 22LR flyers eliminate at least 50% of the tagets I shoot from consideration - I know this plagues gwk1951 as well. The Wolf sounds amazing.

I'll be out again this month testing new reloads in 9 and 223. I'll probably take the 22 with me as well. I shoot at a fairly busy range and still enjoy the looks and comments that I get from other shooters when I walk 3 all X targets from 100 yds. With my sub $200 18" plinker setup!:)

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Well, there is good news and bad news.
Good news. Looks like I will be able to make a trip to the Leeds Firing Range in the Sumter National Forest in the near future.
Should be able to make it out there before the end of this month.
Bad news. 100 yard accuracy will be crap if 50 yards is any indication of how .22LR ammo is so inconsistent.

Bought some 3/4" PVC and fittings to make my target stand portable.

View attachment 47737
Sounds fun - enjoy the trip M8! I'm off to Google Wolf Match 22LR!!!

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I have one entry for this month. I had to break in my 1 month old Ruger GSR. Due to sighting in the iron sights at 50 yds, the scope at 50 yds, and the scope at 100 yds, I have only one suitable target. My shoulder doesn't have the meat on it like when I was younger, so recoil took its toll on me. :laugh:

10. Centerfire rifle - 100 yards - 3 shots - (magnified optics 1.5x and above)

chicharrones = score 2.394" / far shot 1.062" / group 1.332"
Rifle = Ruger Gunsite Scout / .308 Winchester
Optics = Simmons ProHunter 4x32 handgun scope

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
My last category is # 10 Center fire 100 yards, 3 shots. My first outing with this rifle. Built it late last fall and have not had a chance to shoot it. Noveske lower with Bushmaster parts kit and JP precision trigger, Rock River upper with 1:8 twist 24" Wilson barrel chambered in .223Wylde and a Vortex Viper 6.5-24x50mm scope. I had high hopes this thing being my new yote killer and it did great. Took a few round to dial in, groups were decent with some 55grain Hornady TAP but got better with some 69gr PPU match. Finally tried some of my new handloads (69gr Sierra BTHP over 25.5gr CFE223 powder) and wow, this thing is a tack driver.
Tell us more about that chambering, I don't believe I've heard of it. Sure I could Google it, but I'd like your perspective on it. :)

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Tell us more about that chambering, I don't believe I've heard of it. Sure I could Google it, but I'd like your perspective on it. :)

The Wylde is a hybrid chambering of the 5.56/.223. There can be lots of confusion between the two so here are the facts,

The exterior (physical) dimensions of .223 and 5.56 ammunition are effectively identical.
5.56 ammunition may be loaded to higher pressures than .223 ammunition.
5.56mm chambers are dimensionally larger in certain critical areas than .223 chambers.
Given the same ammunition, 5.56 chambers will have lower pressures than .223 chambers.

The bullet has to jump farther to the lands and grooves on a 5.56 chamber which hurts accuracy but if you go with a .223 chamber you can get dangerous pressure spikes when shooting 5.56. Enter the .223 Wylde, it is a the minimum dimensions for a 5.56, so you can still safely shoot 5.56 but the tighter chamber will give close to the accuracy of a .223 only chamber.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Did not make it to the shooting range over the weekend due to rain and snow.
Maybe later this month.
Anyway, thanks to the generosity of Stallard, I was able to try some Wolf Match Extra .22LR, 1050FPS, 40gr. LRN.
I still get an occasional flyer, but out of 50 rounds there were only 2, and it may have been partly my fault on the trigger.
So here are a couple of target results, full bench support at 50 yards, scope at 10X and 16X.
I should probably put this in Factory Ammo or Firing Line, but I figure since I'm going to try an entry with this stuff, I thought y'all might be interested.
The setup.
SN851113.JPG
YUP! Wife bought me a bipod!

First target, 10 rounds, first 3 shots high, so 8 clicks down.
Yeah, there are only 9 holes you can see, but the top right of the red is 2 so close it's hard to tell them apart.
Scope at 10X.

wolf ammo 3-1.jpg

Scope at 16X.

wolf ammo 4-1.jpg

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The bullet has to jump farther to the lands and grooves on a 5.56 chamber which hurts accuracy but if you go with a .223 chamber you can get dangerous pressure spikes when shooting 5.56. Enter the .223 Wylde, it is a the minimum dimensions for a 5.56, so you can still safely shoot 5.56 but the tighter chamber will give close to the accuracy of a .223 only chamber.
That sounds like a great solution. Was the barrel already chambered that way, or did you have it re-chambered from .223?

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
That sounds like a great solution. Was the barrel already chambered that way, or did you have it re-chambered from .223?

It was already chambered that way. Rock River uses Wilson barrels in their Varmint uppers, they are air gauged and chambered in .223 Wylde, very hard to find custom upper that shoot better. JSE also uses Wilson Barrels and sells the barrels if anyone wants to redo their existing upper.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Wow - a week to go until March. I've been doing a good bit of loading and have plenty of tests lined up - multi gun action picks up starting next month and I'll do an IDPA qualifier as well. With some hand warmers in my pockets I'm hoping for a long range session Wed or TH next week. I have a lot of pistol loads to check but also a pair of 223 powders that I'll be trying out. They are getting harder to get a hold of so I'm looking for more than 1 or 2 to lean on. I haven't shot Varget (a classic) and have a pound of that and a new(er) one from Alliant - Power Pro Varmint SO I should get 1 or 2 more rifle targets in this month if all goes as planned!! I may not have time to re-shoot any of the rimfire stages but am still scanning the horizon for some Wolf Match Extra for future tests/shooting - way to help out a fellow shooter Stallard!! ;) A true gentleman!

Two off topic bits: Having not seen sm pistol primers for a long time I figured I'd do the tests recommended by those using sm rifle primers in pistol ammo. They did great in 9 and 40 - no cup problems, fired 100% of the time and when I was getting good numbers they were adding about 30-40 fps on identical loads. I have twice as many sr as sp - and some would say plenty of both but that's not my opinion!
:cool:

Big box disappointment. My neighbor and I share a lot from tools to guns etc. tim called Sun PM and asked me if I wanted 2k small pistol primers - b4 I could ansewr he said "GOOD - because I just bought 4k from Cabelas on line and half are yours - nice neighbor!! While I have him on the phone I go to the site and the ONLY primers even on line were shotgun. He looks "WOW" they took them down fast. He checks - his CC is charged AND he has a confirmation e-mail. That's usually pretty much a lock. I'm happy as can be until he tells me that TU he received an e-mail showing the order as CANCELLED and his CC had been charged back. What a pisser. Yeah they were on line and probably for a matter of minutes but am I off base? That just seems like a very bad way of handling the situation. I suppose that the answer is "because they can in the current climate". Tim's behind the 8 ball on reloading but has an older rig that he's bringing back to life. He has 800 primers total - sealed in an ammo can for about 8 years. They tested great. I wanted those primers - he really NEEDED them. Big box gorillas - FEH!!! :mad:

Rambling - results next week!

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Eeeeyup! :)

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
When is the deadline for entry?

I can out shoot anyone with my .17 hmr.

100 yard.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Oh and sorry for ego portrayal .......it happens when you are this good.......;).......hahaha......just kidding. :)

Reactions: darbo

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
When is the deadline for entry?

I can out shoot anyone with my .17 hmr.

100 yard.
Like gwk said. Last day of the month is the last day to shoot.

Be sure to check over the rules on page 1 and the category you want to shoot.

We hope to see your shooting results soon! :)

21 - 40 of 48 Posts