Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Taurus Armed Rifle Shootout - April 2013

Ammo saving version!
All categories are 3 shots per target for April.
Plus, Rimfires and Centerfires compete against each other!

Pick up to 7 categories in which to submit an entry!
One target entry per category per shooter. You may choose to shoot a rimfire or centerfire per each category, but you cannot enter a target from both a rimfire and centerfire per each category. You must choose only one target to enter in each category regardless of how many rifle types you shoot.

Standing Offhand Categories - may use sling
1. Rimfire or Centerfire rifle - 25 yards - 3 shots - (iron sights or non-magnified red dot sights)
2. Rimfire or Centerfire - 50 yards -3 shots - (iron sights or non-magnified red dot sights)
3. Rimfire or Centerfire - 50 yards -3 shots - (magnified optics 1.5x and above)

Bench Rest Categories - bench rested* on fore end only or bipod (no mechanical rests**)
4. Rimfire or Centerfire rifle - 50 yards - 3 shots - (iron sights or non-magnified red dot sights)
5. Rimfire or Centerfire rifle - 50 yards - 3 shots - (magnified optics 1.5x and above)
6. Rimfire or Centerfire rifle - 100 yards - 3 shots - (iron sights or non-magnified red dot sights)
7. Rimfire or Centerfire rifle - 100 yards - 3 shots - (magnified optics 1.5x and above)

Target ~ Any target the shooter chooses whether handmade, printed from computer, purchased at store, or purchased at shooting range

Shots per target ~ 3 shots 25 yards, 50 yards, and 100 yards. No flyers to be removed from groups fired.

Scoring ~ Group size in inches + farthest shot from center of target in inches = Scoring Measurement
Example: a 1.250" group with farthest shot 2.410" from the center of the target gives a scoring measurement of 3.660".
- Smallest Scoring Measurement wins the category entered. All measurements are made center-to-center.
- If there is a tie in the Scoring Measurement between entries, the entry with the closest farthest shot from center is the 1st tie breaker.
- If another tie breaker is needed, then the smallest group size is the 2nd tie breaker.

Number of entries ~ One target entry per category per shooter. Pick a rimfire target or a centerfire target for a category, but not both.

Each entry requires a photo of the target posted by the shooter with measurements marked on target using ruler/calipers or with target software. Each entry also requires the mention of the Make, Model, and Caliber of the rifle. If optics are used, please include a description of that, too. A photo of the rifle used in the entry would be helpful as well. As with all internet shooting competitions, this is an honor system event.

* Fore end of rifle may be rested on sand bags, rubber, carpet, wood, etc. or shooter's hand/forearm/elbow. Rear of the rifle must not be supported by anything other than the shooter's free hand and/or shoulder. No rear sand bags or rests allowed.
** A mechanical rest is any rest that uses a screw thread or other mechanical device to adjust level, elevation, or windage.

The last date for a target submission is after dark on the last day of April 2013. Any targets posted a bit late due to time zone differences will be allowed to enter. I will do my best to have all entries compiled by the end of May 2, 2013. :angel:

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Last month's results!

Taurus Armed Rifle Shootout - March 2013 Results!

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/firing-line/89937-rifle-shootout-march-2013-one-more-time.html

Standing Offhand
Categories - may use sling

1. Rimfire rifle - 25 yards - 5 shots - (iron sights or non-magnified red dot sights)
No entries

2. Rimfire rifle - 50 yards - 5 shots - (iron sights or non-magnified red dot sights)
No entries

3. Rimfire rifle - 50 yards - 5 shots - (magnified optics 1.5x and above)
No entries

1st Place
mingaa =
score 2.740" / far shot 1.031" / group 1.709"
Rifle = Mossberg 702 .22 LR
Optics = Simmons 3-9x32
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/f...t-march-2013-one-more-time-4.html#post1238345

4. Centerfire rifle - 50 yards - 5 shots - (iron sights or non-magnified red dot sights)
No entries

Bench Rest Categories - bench rested* on fore end only or bipod (no mechanical rests**)

5. Rimfire rifle - 50 yards - 5 shots - (iron sights or non-magnified red dot sights)
No entries

6. Rimfire rifle - 50 yards - 5 shots - (magnified optics 1.5x and above)

1st Place
mingaa =
score 1.465" / far shot 0.507" / group 0.958"
Optics = Simmons 3-9x32
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/f...t-march-2013-one-more-time-4.html#post1238345

2nd Place
gwk1951 =
score 1.791" / far shot 0.672" / group 1.119"
Rifle = Savage 64F .22 LR
Optics = Centerpoint 4-16x40
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/f...t-march-2013-one-more-time-4.html#post1235293

7. Rimfire rifle - 100 yards - 3 shots - (magnified optics 1.5x and above)

1st Place
mingaa =
score 1.222" / far shot 0.585" / group 0.637"
Optics = Simmons 3-9x32

8. Centerfire rifle - 50 yards - 5 shots - (iron sights or non-magnified red dot sights)

1st Place
mingaa =
score 2.365" / far shot 1.016" / group 1.319"
Rifle = DPMS Sportical .223/5.56
Iron Sights = BUIS type
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/f...t-march-2013-one-more-time-2.html#post1213113

9. Centerfire rifle - 100 yards - 3 shots - (iron sights or non-magnified red dot sights)
No entries

10. Centerfire rifle - 100 yards - 3 shots - (magnified optics 1.5x and above)

1st Place
mingaa =
score 1.305" / far shot 0.565" / group 0.740"
Rifle = DPMS Sportical .223/5.56
Optics = Simmons 1.5-5x32
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/f...t-march-2013-one-more-time-2.html#post1213113

2nd Place
darbo =
score 3.673" / far shot 2.495" / group 1.178"
Rifle = S&W M&P Sport .223/5.56
Optics = 3-9x32
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/f...t-march-2013-one-more-time-3.html#post1214576

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Nicely styled for conserving ammo and 'bye-bye' unscored flyer. "Shots per target ~ 3 shots 25 yards, 50 yards, and 100 yards. No flyers to be removed from groups fired." 22 vs 30-06 who will win the glory!?

To the TA gang - shoot what you have ammo for. Make that trip to the range a little more interesting - push yourself! Help keep the pistol and rifle shootout tradition fun and vital in these trying times!! Old guard - show 'em what you're made of, noobs - make a name for yourself. Everyone - if you are shooting this month have some fun with one or both of these challenges!! :)

Reactions: Wolf1477 and darbo

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Well gents the future bar is set quite high!

Reactions: Wolf1477

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I keep saying i will get out..... But i keep getting busy. I will try yet again to get to the range.....

Reactions: Wolf1477

·
Administrator
35,714 Posts
Chich, I'm waiting on my 30-06 to come back from the gunsmith - somebody borrowed it and broke it. As soon as it comes back I will be taking it, as well as my Marlin 30-30, to the range to give this a try.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I'll have some targets in pistol & rifle later this week.
A member on the Mossberg forum started a 22LR rifle match - 50' and 25yds. - I grabbed 200 rounds of Rem/Eley Match ammo (the rationed limit) - hoping that gets rid of my flyers and I can shoot that match with just a few targets then get to TA business and warm up for IDPA Sat.! If it's as good as it is supposed to be I'll sit on my bulk 22 this month!

·
Registered
20,085 Posts

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Since I can't read very well, my target has a four shot group. I used a Mosin Nagant 91/30 with a Vortex 4-12 scope at 100 yards. Ammo is 7.62X54r, silver bear with 203gr softpoints.

1.069" far shot + 1.525" group = 2.594" scoring measurement

Reactions: chicharrones

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
multiple target, target. I was sighting in the scope for change in ammunition.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Since I can't read very well, my target has a four shot group. I used a Mosin Nagant 91/30 with a Vortex 4-12 scope at 100 yards. Ammo is 7.62X54r, silver bear with 203gr softpoints.

View attachment 54035
You know, it completely slipped my mind . . .

I need to know the distance of your farthest shot of that 4 round group from the center of that small target.

Group Size + Far Shot from center = Scoring Measurement

All measured center-to-center of holes or center of hole to center of target. The shootout here is scored by the Scoring Measurement.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I'm back from a week on the road and am ready to do some shooting at the rifle/pistol club that I (finally) joined. I waaaaay overstayed my 'guest' status!!:)

Reactions: stallard

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Got a lot done today and the rain is supposed to hold off until late tomorrow afternoon so looks like I may get my range trip that got canceled last week. Plan on shooting a few of the iron sight categories this time.

The ammo saving 3 shot groups should help with money and my groups.

Also, is a bi-pod ok?

·
Registered
3,000 Posts

I need to know the distance of your farthest shot of that 4 round group from the center of that small target.

All measured center-to-center of holes or center of hole to center of target. The shootout here is scored by the Scoring Measurement.
I'll have to measure that tomorrow and amend the target. I left the target at work.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts

1.069" is the max distance to center

1 - 20 of 28 Posts