Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I just got a box of 357 mags from a guy and I dont know if I want them or not.
They are.

180gr hardcast bullet
12gr IMR 4227
CCI small Rifle primmers ???

Is this a safe load in a Taurus 605 ?

·
Super Moderator
35,599 Posts
Max load for IMR 4227 and a 180 grain cast in the Speer No. 11 manual is 14.2 grains, in a jacketed bullet load is 13.7. However, a rifle primer is very hot and will increase pressure an unknown amount in a .357 case. I'd steer clear for this and for another reason. I've had revolvers that wouldn't cap CCI (quite hard compared to other brands) magnum primers. I'd get misfires from light hits, but using Winchester small pistol, it was 100%. I have a Contender I reload for. Even though I've not had a problem with factory ammo, I can't get rifle primers to fire in it in less than three hammer strikes and they're not "high primers", they're seated all the way down, so I load my .30-30 with large pistol primers and it works fine. Most revolvers would not have enough hammer strike energy, I wouldn't think, to be 100% with the much harder rifle primers they're not designed for.

Therefore, I'd steer clear of these loads with rifle primers. I just can't tell ya whether the pressure is safe with them using rifle primers. They're close enough to a max charge that they could be over pressure and they might not function 100% in any case. They might be totally safe and function in your gun, but handloading is not the place to be taking chances. If he's fired 'em in a pressure barrel or with an Ohler strain gauge and determined a safe pressure level, that would make me feel better about them, but without pressure data, I know of no loading manuals that give data using rifle primers for the .357. Just not worth the risk, way I see it, even though the 608 is a strong revolver.

BTW, 4227 ain't the best powder with a 180 grain bullet in the .357 anyway. AA#9 is made to order for heavy bullets in the caliber and is hard to beat. I load AA#9 in a Blackhawk and get about 1450 fps out of a 6.5" barrel. It's a hotter load than the max in the Speer manual, worked it up from an article specific to the Blackhawk and won't shoot it in any other revolver. That load makes nearly 800 ft lbs. It's very accurate and I use it just for hunting in the Ruger. It's verboten in my Taurus revolvers, though. I get sticky extraction of some of the cases, a sign of high pressure, but the Blackhawk can take it. the Speer manual says that AA#9 gives 1100 fps out of a Dan Wesson 8 inch gun they used for testing using a max of 13.2 grains. IMR4227 only gave 986 fps with a charge of 14.2 grains.

·
Registered
62 Posts
About the 357 w/rifle prmrs (I'd think this load would be ok) here's why. I regularly use small rifle primers in my 40 race gun w/some pretty hot loads (1470fps). I checked with the guys at Blount about using small rifle in place of small pistol. I was told there's not much difference - as far as a hotter spark plug goes - just that in rifle the primer cup (part the firing pin hits) is heavier to take the higher rifle pressures without blowing back through the f/p hit (makin' a hole there). With my hot 40 loads the rifle primer gives me a margin of safety, by not allowing a blow back through the thinner cupped small pistol prmr when hit with the f/p.
The problem I see - as stated elsewhwere - they may not ignite due to the thicker cup needing a more firm hit by the f/p.
If using a 608 or a Ruger, I would not hesitate to shoot 'em! I've put some EXTREMELY hot hunting loads through my 608 without any problems or hesitation. Had some slight signs of high pressure - but that was it!
Love my 608!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wheels, be safe, don't shoot other peoples reloads. It is just not worth the risk to yourself or your firearm. Be smart and live to shoot another day!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.