Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Rifle case headspace gauges

1K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  olfarhors 
#1 ·
Looking for feedback and information on these rifle headspace gauges, particularly the Lyman, Hornady and the Wilson. I have watched a couple videos about these gauges and what they will and will not do.

I was interested in buying the Lyman 223 gauge but it was out of stock so I bought the Hornady and it does not appear to be the same. I have never bought or used one on my pistol loads as I just use the barrel as the case gauge.

So if you have one do you use it and how do you use it.

#2 ·
I use my headspace gauges a lot. In the last step where I crimp the case, or if I decide not to crimp it, each newly loaded round goes into the headspace gauge to be sure that it fits and that there are no issues with the finished product. While that doesn't guarantee that it will be a perfect fit in my barrel, it does, in my opinion, guarantee that it will fit in most barrels of that caliber with no issues.

#6 ·
I use the Hornady system. Works well and can do most ammo.
I did look at that but for now it's way more advanced than I am :blush:

Maybe after I start to get a handle on these bottlenecks.

#4 ·
tex, which one do you have?

I was /am using it to establish headspace after sizing. The very first batch I did before I had the gauge when I put them thru the gauge they were all long. Ended up resizing the first 50.

#5 ·
Which type of gauge are you looking at ? For a bolt action take a fired case trim it to length, seat a bullet leaving it long so it will contact the rifling. Put some lube on the bullet, insert it into the chamber and close the bolt, then open the bolt as fast as you can and you will have your max overall length/headspace. I have the hornady straight OAL gauge, where you screw a case on it and then insert a bullet and push the bullet as far as it will go, case comparator, bullet comparartor, but the above will work the same.

#10 ·
I'm using the Lyman headspace gauge for 223. My other rifle calibers are the Wilson headspace gauge though. I've never had a problem with either of them.

#11 ·
kmw1954 quote "OK, you guys are talking way over my head!"

It's very easy. You measure a cartridge fired out of your rifle and set the shoulder back however many thousands you choose. Typically it's .001-.002. I used it when I started loading .223/5.56 with once fired brass. I measured a factory loaded case and set my dies to that dimension.

Reactions: oso
#20 ·
My problem child in 45acp is my XD mod2. I haven't slugged the bore yet, but I know for sure it's a much tighter tolerance than my PT1911 and my Citadel Officer 1911. I was having serious problems with getting lead bullets to feed and chamber in that gun. After much playing around with different bullets and loadings, I finally came up with a target round that feeds in all 3 of my guns. The headspace gauge was pretty crucial in that process, because every round I put in the gauge that passed, also functioned flawlessly in the XD. Of course they also function the same way in my 1911's, but then again I expected them to. I'm just glad to have target ammo I can use in any of my guns now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.