Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moderators if this is not the correct place for this question please remove to an appropriate section ? Young shooter wants to go hunting with me and I don't want to have her get gun shy from recoil.Other than a 223 ,What else do you have experience with,she is small in stature and prefers a bolt action.My 308 would be punishing ! TY in advance .

·
Registered
24,498 Posts
I would recommend a 243. Light bullet, fairly flat trajectory and not bad recoil. I would take her to a rifle range before the season and have her get used to the gun.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Amen on .243 Winchester. Short cartridge equals short throw for bolt. Stocks can be cut to suit, get a short barreled "youth model". You can load it down for practice and familiarity, and as kruizer says, light bullet and flat trajectory, still quite enough for whitetail, hogs, etc.

I just parted with my Win M-70 youth-model .243 after quite a number of my grandkids and their friends discovered the pleasures of shoting and hunting through a few decades.

·
Super Moderator
13,772 Posts
A .243 is a necked down .308 and is a short bolt action.

"The .243 Winchester cartridge was initially designed as a target/varmint round, it may be used for animals such as coyotes, black tail deer, whitetail deer, mule deer, pronghorns, and wild hogs.
This .243 is light, small and perfect for beginning deer hunters." http://americanshootingjournal.com/243-caliber/

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Short cartridge = short action = short bolt movement at least 1 inch less than 30-06 or 270 sized cartridge. Perfect for shorter arms and smaller hands.

·
17,571 Posts
Another vote for the .243.... this is a great cartridge that's more effective than the .223 and is very common making ammo easy to find. I know more than one guy that's gotten one for the wife/daughter/son and ended up with their own...

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Definitely the .243.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
i’m probably alone in this idea, but have you thought about a .22 rifle? Mossberg and Marlin makes a very accurate pair of rifles for younger shooters and old guys like me for taking out squirrels and other small game at relatively short distances. No recoil experiences whatsoever. Just an idea! The 243 is also a good recommendation. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
13,772 Posts
Wow! 100% consensus! I'm pretty sure that has never happened on TA.net! :)
Up to now, you mean. The contrarians are getting off work about now. They'll read your post and -well - we'll see. But you were right when you posted it. A remarkable event, indeed!

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
14,677 Posts

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
.25-35 just because everybody already said .243.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I use a 280 but much prefer shooting my 243...especially with a light shirt. But where i grew up a 7mmRem Mag kills them deader.

·
17,571 Posts
i’m probably alone in this idea, but have you thought about a .22 rifle? Mossberg and Marlin makes a very accurate pair of rifles for younger shooters and old guys like me for taking out squirrels and other small game at relatively short distances. No recoil experiences whatsoever. Just an idea! The 243 is also a good recommendation. Good luck!
I think you missed the part about "Deer".....

·
17,571 Posts

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Ever the contrarian I would not rule out the .300 Blackout. It's a very versatile caliber to own. Good for a lot of applications and very light recoil.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts