Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ribber grips have to be the silliest thing ever. Hey Taurus..bring back all the Trackers with a nice walnut or exotic ass. Traditions mean something to revolver guys.

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
Well, some of us might disagree on wood or rubber? As to the ribbers, I took them off my Tracker framed JUDGE, as they did not work for me. But I did replace them with Hogue rubber grips, which work for me.

Now on a SA revolver, I kind of like wood, but not on a double action revolver that I carry on a regular basis. It really is a personal thing!!

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
My only serious complaint is there are guns that there are no wood grips for like my 445. Wood at least needs to be an option!!!
I'll give you that one... I had a 357 once and wanted wood grips on it... Now, I need the cushioning effects and my braces to shoot...

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
I can respect the tradition thing, but all my weapons, including the revolvers, are tools.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Well, I have to admit outside of the exotic rosewood grips I put on my old Colt DS, I have never been the hugest fan of wood grips. It looks great, but it doesn't absorb recoil as well, and it is more fragile. All of my firearms have some type of synthetic grip of some kind. However, I do think that Pachmayr had the right idea when they made their American Legend series. I wish it were made for more models than just the 1911 and a couple of revolvers.......

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I got sick of searching and ponyed up for a set of Nill Grips. They are on the way to me now. They were very expensive but my Tracker is worth it. Super accurate!

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I don't like the Firestone, Bridgestone, Good Year, BF Goodrich, HanKook, Toyo, recaps either. My Taurus 441 has the best fitting, best looking, most serviceable OEM wood grips of any gun I have ever owned. My 327 has a set of the afore mentioned recycled red chinese failures on it, but not for long. Those retreads remind me of the foot gear most of the ethnicly pure citizens of a lush, green, very warm, country far across the pacific broadwater wore while I was living and working there under somewhat adverse conditions off and on from 1965 to 1975. OH, yes Michelins were heavily favored, but not for me, give me nicely checkered walnut any day.

·
Super Moderator
21,441 Posts
I have the American Legends on my 1911 and love them. I put the beautiful wood grips on my S&W 686 4" and shot a few rounds and no thank you and the Hogue grips went back on. For look the exotic wood grips win, for shooting I'll stick with a little cushion. I have to mention I have bad Arthritis in my hands that could help in my decision.

·
Super Moderator
40,412 Posts
I prefer the wood grips myself, I bought a used gun that had Pachmayr grips on it, they are nice but I was already thinking where can I get a set of the original wood grips. As I was leaving the shop owner said hold on I think that came with an after market case. He pulled the case out and there were the set of original wood grips. I put them on in the parking lot. :D

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I prefer the wood grips myself, I bought a used gun that had Pachmayr grips on it, they are nice but I was already thinking where can I get a set of the original wood grips. As I was leaving the shop owner said hold on I think that came with an after market case. He pulled the case out and there were the set of original wood grips. I put them on in the parking lot. :D
Now that's what I call some serious revolver love!!! :D

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I started using rubber grips years ago as replacements for the wood factory grips. Also replaced some fancy wood grips with rubber. I think nice wood is wonderful to look at. I am rough on guns, and they are as said earlier just tools to me. Rubber grips on a tool or gun are more comfortable not just in use but wear and abuse is never thought about. I have had fancy wood grips get a deep scratch or scrape, and cost of grips have a direct relationship to how sickning it is. I have some safe queens that will probably be sold to pay for some custom working guns for that reason. They may be beautiful but are not enjoyed as much as the working guns with rubber grips.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ribber grips have to be the silliest thing ever. Hey Taurus..bring back all the Trackers with a nice walnut or exotic ass. Traditions mean something to revolver guys.
I will say the wood grips add astethic quality, but boy those ribber grips. they sure are sweet on your hands when your shooting them magnum rounds, and relatively easy to clean.. But to each his own. Or as i prefer, different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
6,978 Posts

·
Registered
34,138 Posts
I've got guns with both. I'm not sensitive to recoil and 45 years ago I bought a pair of Herrett Shooting Stars for my .44Mag Super Blackhawk. They made that gun so much easier to shoot that I seldom buy a gun anymore that I don't change the grips on. Most of the time I get the wood ones. I prefer the grips to be stippled rather than checkered and I like the area behind the trigger guard on a revolver to be filled thus redirecting the hand grip to better absorb the recoil and stop beating my knuckles to death.

Reactions: TheOldRedneck

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
I've got guns with both. I'm not sensitive to recoil and 45 years ago I bought a pair of Herrett Shooting Stars for my .44Mag Super Blackhawk. They made that gun so much easier to shoot that I seldom buy a gun anymore that I don't change the grips on. Most of the time I get the wood ones. I prefer the grips to be stippled rather than checkered and I like the area behind the trigger guard on a revolver to be filled thus redirecting the hand grip to better absorb the recoil and stop beating my knuckles to death.
​Me too, it makes the revolver so much easier to shoot.

·
Registered
289 Posts
While I love the looks of wood grips, at this point in my life I prefer the ribber grips on my Judge. Due to extreme end carpal tunnel and arthritis my PT22 w/rosewood grips hurt my hand considerably more than any of the ammo I can run thru my Poly Judge. Plus, if a BG tried to get the PD away from me I'd have a much better grip. I just find wood grips to slippery for me.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
The one never changing, ever continuing, problem that I have with the composition (read tire recapped) grips is that it is nearly impossible to get a good fit. The only rubber grips I have found useable are the Hogue wrap around finger groove style in my 1911 A1 and my High Power. I have never found a Hogue or Pachmyr or OEM composition grip that lived up to the hype. I can take a set of cheap after market wood stocks like CDNN sells and custom fit them to the gun and a shooters hand. Then they can be checkered, stippled, carved or finger grooved and stained and finished in a variety of beautiful and highly useful ways. Try that with a recap.

Reactions: mesadeldoug
1 - 20 of 47 Posts