1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24,606 Posts
Grillin season for sure.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Do you have a cast iron skillet and a damn hot (preferably gas) stove? If so..... you really should try cooking them in a cast iron skillet over extremely high heat! As a disclaimer, I am a native Texan from the Central part of the state, and literally have been around grilling for as long as I remember. That being said - I can cook a far better RIBEYE on a cast iron skillet than on a grill.

The method is really easy - rub the steak in salt (kosher works best), pepper, a bit of oil or butter, and light amounts of other spices. Don't do any gooey or sugary marinades.

-Take your dry cast iron skillet and stick it in the oven. Heat the oven to 500 degrees. When it reaches 500, put it on your stove at the highest setting possible and let it heat further for about 5 minutes. It should by then be obscenely hot - almost hard to stand near.
-Toss the steak(s) in the pan and cook for 30 seconds each side. You are searing it. It will make a LOT of smoke.
- Place the pan back in the over and cook at 500 degrees for 2 minutes each side (pull the pan out, flip, and return to the oven)
- take it out of the oven, let it sit for 5 minutes under foil, and serve!

In summary, 30 seconds each side on the stove, 2 minutes each side in the oven. Best steak I can cook these days. I've attached an article that details this method as well - for your next ribeye.

How To Cook Perfect Steak in the Oven ? Cooking Lessons from The Kitchn | The Kitchn

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Thanks! I was trying to make up my mind if what I wanted for dinner and this
thread reminded me I have a couple of ribeyes in the freezer. That sounds like
a plan to me.

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
You guys are making me hungry..

Reactions: RonPT24/7

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
The wife picked up a few really nice thick T-bone steaks the other day. So yesterday I whip them out, season them up, light the Weber and go to work. Both grilled up perfectly. I brought them in to rest on the platter. A few minutes later I return to the kitchen where the wife has already cut off and removed the smaller side section of the T-bone from each steak.

She then gives me that all knowing S.E.G. and tells me that she is not really all that hungry so she left both of the larger sides of the two T-bones for me. BLESS HER HEART!!!!! As all of us steak eaters know, the little side of the T-bone is the most tender of steak meat once would every care to have. GOD HOW I MUST LOVE THIS WOMAN!!!!

Hmmmmmm, come to think of it, I still have one of those large half of steaks remaining. Thanks to your photos I now hungry.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do you have a cast iron skillet and a damn hot (preferably gas) stove? If so..... you really should try cooking them in a cast iron skillet over extremely high heat! As a disclaimer, I am a native Texan from the Central part of the state, and literally have been around grilling for as long as I remember. That being said - I can cook a far better RIBEYE on a cast iron skillet than on a grill.

I 2nd that! I save the grill for chicken, burgers, and brats. Been doing stuffed-bacon wrapped tenderloins on the skillet/oven. mmmmmmmm

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Looks great! I'll third the cast iron!

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wife just bought a cast-iron in red with handles on both sides and a lid . But I have one of those charcoal starters and I can get it going and 15 mins I have hot charcoals ready to cook on the weber . Thing is while I'm letting the charcoal get ready I'm inside preparing the steaks , cutting up the squash and zucchini have them prepared while the oven is heating for the veggies . 20 mins from start to finish prepping the food , charcoal is ready so steaks go on the grill , veggies in the oven for 30-mins . Meanwhile 15-20 mins steaks are ready and resting waiting to be eaten and when the resting is over the steaks are ready to eat and time for the veggies to come out of the oven . Salad has already been made , table set and here comes the wife . Total time approx. 50 mins from very start to eating .

I understand using the cast-iron technique and don't doubt the steaks will taste great but if I do that technique in my house not only would I have a lot of smoke and smell for the rest of the night but that 500 deg heat would have my small house heated like the oven in no time then my a/c would not stop running til 3:00am next day . But besides that I just really enjoy cooking things on my Weber . What's the use of an outside grill if your going to cook inside all the time ? I use my grill a lot during the summer just to keep the heat out of the house . But thanks for the great tip ! I do plan sometime to use the cast-iron out on the grill and see how steaks turnout using that technique .

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
I will give your Iron Skillet method a try next winter. Cranking the oven up like that around here will cause the A/C to run for hours.

·
Super Moderator
17,704 Posts

The method is really easy - rub the steak in salt (kosher works best), pepper, a bit of oil or butter, and light amounts of other spices. Don't do any gooey or sugary marinades.

-Take your dry cast iron skillet and stick it in the oven. Heat the oven to 500 degrees. When it reaches 500, put it on your stove at the highest setting possible and let it heat further for about 5 minutes. It should by then be obscenely hot - almost hard to stand near.
-Toss the steak(s) in the pan and cook for 30 seconds each side. You are searing it. It will make a LOT of smoke.
- Place the pan back in the over and cook at 500 degrees for 2 minutes each side (pull the pan out, flip, and return to the oven)
- take it out of the oven, let it sit for 5 minutes under foil, and serve!

In summary, 30 seconds each side on the stove, 2 minutes each side in the oven. Best steak I can cook these days. I've attached an article that details this method as well - for your next ribeye.

How To Cook Perfect Steak in the Oven ? Cooking Lessons from The Kitchn | The Kitchn
...and then go outside to eat it and endure the wife's glare while the house clears of smoke and the smoke detectors shut off...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts