Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my local gun stores has two shotguns which are tempting me.

One is a new Rock Island Armory M5 12 gauge shotgun in nickel finish. It's designed primarily for "social work," which would be its intended purpose. Imported from the Philippines, it has a 20 inch barrel and 5+1 (2 3/4 inch shells) or 4+1 (3 inch shells) capacity. Reviews give it high marks for value for the money. Its priced in the low $200s. The primary pluses are (1) it's new, with new technology in its design and new metallurgy, and (2) the LGS got it from Davidson's Gallery of Guns, and so includes a full replacement warranty.

The other temptation is a used High Standard riot shotgun, 12 gauge with 18 1/2 inch barrel and 5+1 capacity (2 3/4 inch shells only). It has wood furniture with well-deserved wear marks. Internet research reveals a proven workhorse that is still highly regarded in spite of its 40 plus years of age. It is priced at $270.

Please note that these are both generic internet photos, and not photos of the specific guns mentioned.

I'm leaning toward the Rock Island M5, but don't want to pass up on a bargain if the High Standard is a quality firearm with which I was not familiar until yesterday. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
15,137 Posts
I'd put the extra cash and get the high standard. The M5 will still be on the market for quite a while but the High standard might become harder and harder to find. If you want more capacity, you could always go with the Aquila mini shells. For the application the reduced loads won't be that bad.

·
Super Moderator
37,208 Posts
I'm still happy with my Maverick 88 Field and Security combo. 220.00 for two guns.

·
Banned
4,262 Posts
*Mini shells WILL NOT function in the M5 the shell lifter is a partial open bottom design and the mini shells fall through that opening to the ground or jam* and I suspect they won't in the High Standard either.

If you want something that may go up in value decades from now, then the High Standard is your choice.

If you want a work horse that is by far the fastest pump shot gun I've ever ran, with a heavy walled barrel and a corrorison resistant finish then the M5 is your ticket

It's heavy and that helps with recoil and my *sample of one* was damn accurate right out of the box. These were my first shots with it at roughly 25 yards firing at a fairly brisk pace between reloads.

The cons to both your choices: little to no after market support.

There is a two shot extention for the M5 but it costs almost half the price of the gun!

https://www.kakindustry.com/rock-island-m5-extended-mag-kit

There's also a pistol grip from RIA that is over priced, doesn't come with the mounting hardware and, or the folding stock it's clearly made for and well is crappy compared to other modern shotgun grips on the market.

SO good and bad in both choices IMHO.

I hope this isn't too much info, but I wish I'd have known this stuff before I bought it. I still would have for the simple fact of how damn fast it shoots and how rugged it is.

Hope the info helps.

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
I have a Maverick 88 with a fold over stock. Use it as a tactical shotgun or extend the stock and shoulder it, although when shouldering it can be a bit uncomfortable for the uninitiated.

Reactions: FreeInAZ

·
Banned
4,262 Posts
Yep (above). There are many good affordable options on the shotgun market today.

I've shot and owned Remingtons, Winchesters, Mossbergs/Mavericks, Benelli's and a M5. Best value of all them IMHO the Maverick. The fastest pump & best trigger the M5 as it comes from a bird gun design the old Flite King... and Armscor got that part 100% right IMHO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts