Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a growing desire to aquire another 1911 .45acp. I have been looking at the new number of less expensive manufactures of import 1911 pistols. They seem to be priced from the $440 to $500 range for a blue/black parkertized finish pistol. I have come across a one owner, never fired Taurus Duo-Tone Taurus 1911 that has the two factory mags plus 3 additional aftermarket mags, a Hogue wrap around grip, plastic case, all original papers and 250 rounds of ammo....priced at $620. Also seeing as this is a pre-owned face to face purchase there would be no taxes or FFL transfer fee, where these cost would apply to the import pistols.

Which route would you go?

I do already own the full Bling Polished Stainless with gold Taurus 1911. So this would be more of a shooter, than a polish and rub the fingerprints off of a gun piece.

·
Registered
29,765 Posts
I'd go with the Taurus but I'm biased :) I like the RIA's as well and have been thinking of getting one. If I remember correctly I saw a PT 1911 Duo tone at cheaper than dirt for something around $620 new. Now you'd pay about $670 with tax... plus you would not get the extra magazines and ammo.

If its in good shape, it doesn't sound like too bad a deal to me.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
I am fully aware that this is a TAURUS forum, but for not much more than the imports (in some cases LESS if you can find one), look at a Ruger SR1911 (if you can find one!).

They are 100% American made, and in terms of quality, totally trounce the Philippine and Turkish made 1911's.

SR1911's are still scarce, even though Ruger has recently doubled production to over 700 per week.

On the Ruger Forum (price listings):
SR1911: What did you pay? / What have you seen them tagged at? - Ruger Forum

I paid $569 + tax = $616 out the door for mine. The most common price has been in the $629 (+tax) range.

I may be prejudiced, but this is one beautiful pistol:

SR1911-Left-4.jpg

SR1911-Rght-7.jpg

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
There is really nothing wrong with the RIA or the Iver Johnsons. Of those two I would buy the Iver. However, the Taurus is all over both of them when it comes to build material. The forged parts and hand fitting of the Taurus will beat the other two any day.

·
Registered
13,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am fully aware that this is a TAURUS forum, but for not much more than the imports (in some cases LESS if you can find one), look at a Ruger SR1911 (if you can find one!).

They are 100% American made, and in terms of quality, totally trounce the Philippine and Turkish made 1911's.

SR1911's are still scarce, even though Ruger has recently doubled production to over 700 per week.

I paid $569 + tax = $616 out the door for mine. The most common price has been in the $629 (+tax) range.

View attachment 22199

View attachment 22200
You got one heck of a price, if I could find one at that price I would jump on it also.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Choosing a 1911 is somewhat like choosing a woman to date in Rio De Janeiro during Carnival;making a wrong decision requires more work than pointing at random. Insofar as the Ruger is concerned the only negative news on that topic is that finding one is about as likely as discovering a tropical palm tree in the wild in South Dakota.My local gun store has a 37 person deep waiting list on my last contact for one of those elusive SR1911s, and Ruger is rumored to be backordered in the thousands nationwide for those guns.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
If you want a full size shooter, of course I vote Taurus first, then Ruger (due to availability). If you're looking for a smaller size, I recently got the MAC/Amigo 3.5" and it has been flawless so far. I hadn't heard about the 'new' Iver's being out, but will be looking there also. I think that the Filipino 1911s kinda have the old Taurus rep/stigma about them. Good luck with that, and keep us posted.

·
Registered
36,301 Posts
I have a growing desire to aquire another 1911 .45acp. I have been looking at the new number of less expensive manufactures of import 1911 pistols. They seem to be priced from the $440 to $500 range for a blue/black parkertized finish pistol. I have come across a one owner, never fired Taurus Duo-Tone Taurus 1911 that has the two factory mags plus 3 additional aftermarket mags, a Hogue wrap around grip, plastic case, all original papers and 250 rounds of ammo....priced at $620. Also seeing as this is a pre-owned face to face purchase there would be no taxes or FFL transfer fee, where these cost would apply to the import pistols.
Which route would you go?
I do already own the full Bling Polished Stainless with gold Taurus 1911. So this would be more of a shooter, than a polish and rub the fingerprints off of a gun piece.
Well first off right out of the gate!
I don't like nor trust anyone that don't like dogs and anyone that owns a 1911 and hasn't shot it!
- alot!
that out of the way!
a new duo-tone here is about 629 ish, the problem is finding one as they are by far the hardest of the bulls to locate!
If you can test fire the weapon and it aceptable i say jump on it with the ammo and extra mags, although after market mags are not going to break the bank for a 1911 unless you get totally A brand snob on the mags.
can't help with the Iver Johnson, but the RIA has a good reputation, i don't particularly take to them bcause of the GI sights, but the tacticals would work for me and my old eyes.

·
Registered
29,765 Posts
Choosing a 1911 is somewhat like choosing a woman to date in Rio De Janeiro during Carnival;making a wrong decision requires more work than pointing at random..
That does it I'm going to Rio, attending carnival and Buying a Brazilian made Taurus! :D

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
36,301 Posts
Well here the Ruger SR1911 is going for right at 700 bucks, thats my range price IF they ever get them in, they actually have gotten so fed up with waiting on them they have quit taking orders or waiting list!
they do have 1 in stock that Ruger sent them as a test weapon and I have shot it.
The 4 that i actually saw in stock ( 2 at 2 different gun shops) was priced at 750 they sold in short fashion.I
like the pistol , its a 1911 !
the Ruger has a very nice clean apperance to it, not to many frills and just enough to be nice, and being a Ruger it has quality that you can see, even down to the grips!
but its going at 150-200 bucks above the Taurus and more on some of the other import 1911's.
I would have a hard time buying one at the going rate honestly.
Now if I was looking at a Colt price and pistol then i would take a close look at the Ruger.
But honestly now days with the 1911 being around for over 100 years, anyone that wants to make a quality 1911 pretty much has the ability to do that, its not anything new or iinovative.

·
Registered
36,301 Posts
That does it I'm going to Rio, attending carnival and Buying a Brazilian made Taurus! :D
ROAD TRIP!!!!!!
and I want one that has really big, big bullets, at least 38's !!
the gun, the gun man get your mind out of the gutter!

Reactions: Zylo_X

·
Registered
29,765 Posts
ROAD TRIP!!!!!!
Yeah and I prefer mine without jackets covering the points... The bullets, lead, no copper, yeah thats what I meant.... the bullets

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
ROAD TRIP!!!!!!
Oh wise One, with your vast experience and knowledge, perhaps you could enlighten me as to why someone would take perfect, all natural 45s, and do a bullet reduction to 38 supers?? :D

Reactions: blackpanzer

·
Registered
36,301 Posts
Oh wise One, with your vast experience and knowledge, perhaps you could enlighten me as to why someone would take perfect, all natural 45s, and do a bullet reduction to 38 supers?? :D
More power- Less recoil!
to be different!-LOL
actually i got hooked on 1911's back about 1962-63, and then i got hooked on the 38 Super in about 1970-71, you know how this addiction is, try it one time and your hooked for life!
its amazing that lil 1/4 inch difference in length!
the 9 MM in a 1911 doesn't have any effect on me at all, but add a 1/4 inch to the case and well it got me!

·
Registered
515 Posts
My last 1911 purchase was a 9MM PT1911 & I couldn't be happier - but I will admit the day I bought it I was at a show & looking for the RIA 1911 but couldn't find it. Everything I've read about those guns has been positive.

Depending on which model RIA; the Taurus will give you better sights & some "custom" features you won't get in the RIA - but you'll pay for them as the RIA is generally cheaper.

I still need to get an RIA! I want a 1911 in .38 Super, but something inside me says that pistol will have to be a Colt. Maybe an RIA in a 9MM Commander?

·
Registered
36,301 Posts
I still need to get an RIA! I want a 1911 in .38 Super, but something inside me says that pistol will have to be a Colt. Maybe an RIA in a 9MM Commander?
yep, decisions, decisions, decisions??
do i want a Colt 1911 in 38 Super or do i want 2 Taurus Pt1911 in 38 Super, or 1 Taurus PT1911 in 38 Super at half price?

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
I'll throw in a vote for the RIA, i love mine and it runs absolutely great. Got about 350 rounds through it without a single jam, misfire, FTE or FTF. I'll have to give Arsmcor a thumbs up on that one, and the new trigger i put on looks great. Now i'm just waiting on my hammer strut so i can swap the hammer and grip safety already.

·
Registered
13,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well the Taurus deal was a flake out in the end. That's OK however. I ran into an old family aquaintance on a recent trip to the Dr. office and got talking guns. He was telling me that he has sold a few of his guns over the last year and was going to sell a few more. Then he told me about a Colt semi he purchased back some 30 years ago and has never fired. Wondered if I may be interested in it, so I asked him what he was wanting for it. He said he paid $950 for it back then and would take the same now if I was interested. Now keep in mind I don't know what model Colt this is, but I said sure. So well hang is and see what may become of this deal.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Sounds interesting, when it comes to 1911's, you can't argue much with a Colt. Especially an older one that adds to the rarity.

·
Registered
36,301 Posts
Well the Taurus deal was a flake out in the end. That's OK however. I ran into an old family aquaintance on a recent trip to the Dr. office and got talking guns. He was telling me that he has sold a few of his guns over the last year and was going to sell a few more. Then he told me about a Colt semi he purchased back some 30 years ago and has never fired. Wondered if I may be interested in it, so I asked him what he was wanting for it. He said he paid $950 for it back then and would take the same now if I was interested. Now keep in mind I don't know what model Colt this is, but I said sure. So well hang is and see what may become of this deal.
HMM?? 30 years ago and $950??
sounds like a Gold Cup!
Colt makes a few 1911's that you see out in the road at 950 today but you don't see a lot at that price in gun shops.
Colt is generally in the 800-850 range around here unless its one of the specialty guns, I got a Colt Govenrment Combat Elite that lists for about a grand but actual pricing here is about 900 bucks.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts