Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i went to the range Saturday morning and took my 7 year old daughter along with me for her first shoot. I didn't get to shoot as much as i wanted, but i knew that would happen the second i said she could come along. So in letting her shoot my Marlin .22, i learned that she's cross eye dominant. She just couldn't get the concept of looking through the scope with her right eye while closing the left. We'll work on that at a later date, but i was really surprised that she shot 35 rounds out of my Hi-Point 995 and didn't even want to touch the .22 anymore because the carbine made a bigger bang. Much better than her big brother who shot 6 rounds and wanted to go back to the .22.

I got to run 150 rounds through my 1911, and have to say it was definitely a blast. I'm still not used to those GI "sights", but i'm getting better at putting holes where i want to with them. Went to aim for a head shot and threw one shot through the "left eye", so for the sake of symmetry, i gave it a "right eye" as well. The gun is definitely far more accurate than i am, so when i finally give it a sight upgrade i may be able to get our abilities in sync. As usual, i don't mark groupings because most of my handgun shooting is rapid fire. But i was happy to not have a ton of fliers on this target given the amount of rounds i shot.

Today while i was out i took a ride out to a LGS and cruised around the store a bit. I just happened to wander into the grips section and ran across a new set of grips. Hogue Exotic Woods 1911 grips with finger grooves, and boy do they feel as good as they look. They had about 15 sets with the finishes varying in slightly lighter or darker shades, but they were listed at $55 per set. Then i just happened to scan down a few hooks and found 2 pairs listed at $35, which i suspect were older models. There's a 1/16" gap between them in the grooves, but oddly enough i don't even feel it, and it's only seen if you turn the pistol in an unsafe direction. I love the way the wood looks on there, and feel of the finger grooves is what i loved about the rubber ones i had on it.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I always love the Hogue grips like that but the ones in walnut with the cross hatching are much more expensive. I settled for a set of the rubber finger grips version. I do like finger grips on these guns though.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I always love the Hogue grips like that but the ones in walnut with the cross hatching are much more expensive. I settled for a set of the rubber finger grips version. I do like finger grips on these guns though.
I have the rubber versions also, they felt good but sometimes had a bit too much grip. Every now and then my shirt would actually stick to the rubber and begin to expose the muzzle a bit. But the wood is a much better surface for less friction against clothing.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A shot in the left eye usually does the trip in discouraging bad manners. ;)
She's only 7 MOONDAWG, so i want to avoid that as much as possible. But if she's still trying to do it when she's 15, i might have to take your advice. Lol

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Wow, I like those grips.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, they feel great in the hand. Now i want to hit the range.

·
Registered
157 Posts
That is how my daughter was for a while, i bought an eye patch for her eye, untill it became second nature for her to shoot .... just a thought.... love the grips and the RIA ,

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Congrats on the new toy, and Thanks for sharing. Another option for the grips, Pearse makes a rubber 'insert' with the finger grooves. The 'flaps' go over the grip bushings, and are screwed down under the grip panels. That will add the finger grooves to any panels you like. Its available for GI and Officer size.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Love the look of it. I prefer the blued, Parkerized and non SS 1911's .Thinking of getting a RIA 1911 once I can afford one.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Very nice! :) Digging the grips - what wood are they?

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No idea what they're made of, they weren't specific in the packaging. All they said is that it's harder than the normal walnut that most grips tend to be.

·
Registered
436 Posts
No idea what they're made of, they weren't specific in the packaging. All they said is that it's harder than the normal walnut that most grips tend to be.
I know a lot use Cocobolo because it is really dense. I know I have worked with it in the past. A very hard wood. But I love the looks of it when it is used.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Montkun:

That's one fine-looking pistol.

The grips really dress it up! ;)

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you MPG, i thought they made it look pretty classy myself. There's something kind of iconic about the look of metal and wood paired together.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Nice!

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Nice looking RIA. The grips make it! Daughters are fun. I raised two. They grow up to fast.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sights aren't too hard for a gunsmith to swap out. I bought a used Colt 1991 with GI sights, and he had three dots on them in about a half hour of labor.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I replaced the sights on both of my GI's. As long as you have the staking tool, and a vise it is very quick and easy to do. I went with Fusion sights.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts