Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If some of you are new to double action revolvers I would like to impart with you on a right way and a wrong way to close the cylinder on a double action revolver, since I just had a friend of mine who actually does know a lot about guns do it the wrong way with mine: After you open the cylinder and reloaded it with the myriad ways they have of, you do not flick the cylinder closed like they do in every bad action movie I've seen. With your non shooting hand you grasp the underside of the gun and gently but firmly close the cylinder with your thumb. Flicking the gun to close the cylinder while cool to watch will cause undo wear on the locking mechanism and will whorten the life of said parts and does not hasten the reload process since you lost your sight picture anyway.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm not a fan of flipping the cylinder shut for a different reason.
I,ve heard you ruin the crane when you throw that load on it.

I don't plan on ever finding out if either or both are the case.

·
Super Moderator
35,016 Posts
Yeah, but after some years of flicking the cylinder closed and the stop gets bent and the revolver goes out of time, you can get on one of the boards like firingline.com and bash Taurus for building a crappy revolver. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Ace has it correct, I cringe every time I see someone flick a cylinder shut. One other trick I have learned is that if you will grasp one flute in the thumb & another flute on the other side of the cylinder with the forefinger & line them up paralell to each other you will almost always close the cylinder with the locking bolt in the locking notch & not put an unsightly drag mark on your cylinder as the locking bolt slides into the locking slot. Frank

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Older posts can be so cool

With your non shooting hand you grasp the underside of the gun and gently but firmly close the cylinder with your thumb.
Thanks Ace ;)
I have have never flipped my cylinder closed... :eek:
Nice info...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Also if you grasp one flute with your thumb & the opposite flute with the forefinger you can guide the cylinder into lockup often locking the cylinder as it closes & not dragging the locking bolt across the cylinder to score it. Frank

1 - 12 of 12 Posts