Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I also posted this on the Rossi forum, but it has much less activity so I thought I would post it here as well. I am usually a semi auto guy, but I bought my first revolver, a Rossi 461 about a month ago. I haven't yet taken it to the range, but from practicing with snap caps one of the things I have noticed is that the trigger pull takes a lot of strength. It isn't much of a problem for me, but I bought the gun mainly for my wife to use as a home defense gun (she cannot rack the slide on my semi-autos). She can pull the trigger in DA mode, but is seems to take a lot of strength on her part. I am concerned she could not get a shot of quickly if rushed. Is there any way to decrease the trigger pull weight on these guns? Thanks!

Joe

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=3590.0

There's a couple of ideas in that thread. The article linked in the first post I also do and it does help. Beyond that, practice. Even if its just dry fire around the house (PLEASE DOUBLE CHECK THAT ALL THE AMMO IS OUT OF THE GUN!!!). Over time it will help smooth out the action. The weight will probably stay close but with less friction it will feel less. Snap caps are frequently recommended but not required for the dry fire practice.

Steelheart

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
I agree!

Guns are like wine, they get smoother as you go.

Let us know how the Rossi shoots after you take it to the range. I've been reading some good reviews on them lately from some happy campers.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just posted a question here about dry firing!

If the Taurus revolver manual states "Dry firing is bad for your Taurus revolver - do not dry fire" or something like that, then how is it that snap caps are "recommended but not required"?

Is dry firing okay? and if so, why does the Taurus manual state otherwise?

Steelheart said:
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=3590.0

Snap caps are frequently recommended but not required for the dry fire practice.

Steelheart

·
Super Moderator
35,150 Posts
I use snap caps even in my Rugers, don't care about the manual. The Rossi revolvers have a little stiffer and sometimes a little rougher DA trigger than a Taurus, especially a M85 which is slicker than a J frame Smith on the average. My M85 is so light and smooth, if she couldn't handle that, she'll just have to cock and fire. LOL But, my old Rossi 68, while still a little heavy, is smoothed out over time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Get a lighter mainspring and/or tell her to pull the hammer back first. Single action.

·
Registered
69 Posts
There is a safety issue with a revolver that is cocked for single action use in a home defense situation; if the threat suddenly goes away and there is no longer a need to fire, then the revolver is in a condition that makes it very easy to accidentally discharge. Even police officers have had accidents with revolvers in this mode because they actually forgot they had cocked their weapon in the heat of the moment. And it is possible that someone who is excited with sweaty hands may slip when attempting to safely lower the hammer. This is one reason why most many LEO revolvers have a shrouded or bobbed hammer - so it cannot be cocked - or because it will never be cocked.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
seems like you haven't found the right gun for her yet. I would recomend you go down to a smaller frame pistol and see if she can handle the trigger pull. I totally advocate a .32 h&r mag for people of smaller builds. Other than that if she is set on the gun have her shoot it in single action, a lot/ That way she will condition herself to thinking that the trigger isn't bad and her shots on target will be adequate. Also using the gun will wear the mechanism down. And even if it doesn't if she gets into a situation where she needs to fire it won't be problem because she's done it several times before and her body will react. Long story short is if you think something is hard, it is, but if you think it's easy, it will be.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts