Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a revolver that has timing issues are any other problems send shrapnel or gas back on the shooter's face. Someone else was shooting my revolver and said that he felt something sting him while shooting. This was indoor range and nobody was close by.
I have noticed an occasional a light strike.

·
5,686 Posts
Any revolver can do that. It doesn't mean anything is wrong with it. That's why it's highly recommended you wear safety glasses. I believe it was Hickok45 that did a video about this. He put a piece of paper up by the front of cylinder and it shredded it. I'll see if I can find it. I've had it happen to me while shooting our Judge.

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
Unload the revolver and slide a business card or other piece of white paper between the cylinder and shroud and hold it up to a light, if the timing is off you will see the edge of the cylinder on one side when looking down the barrel.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I did check the timing by looking down the barrel with it in full lockup.
The best I could tell it was not out of time.
Just how tight are Taurus revolvers suppose to be in full lockup? I get a little bit of play.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
It could be timing, or an excessive gap and/or end shake. I've had revolvers with what would be considered a maximum gap, and often felt a little "sting", especially with hotter loads and lead bullets. But my rule of thumb is if doesn't require tweezers, suck it up Nancy.

I was shooting next to a guy once, about 30 years ago, who was shooting a S&W Model 29 .44 Magnum. He was shooting some full power (maybe over full power) reloads. It was hard standing next to that. Turned out the revolver was radically out of time. He had fired a lot of hot loads out of it.

He fired one off and I felt a stinging in my hand. I looked, and I had a trickle of blood dripping down my wrist. This required tweezers from the first aid kit. They pulled a piece of bullet jacket out of my hand, maybe the size of a grain of rice. The range officer told him to stop shooting that gun. They put a bandaid on me and I went back to shooting.

You really don't have much to worry about shooting it, but the guy next to you might be more exposed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts