Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put this in the "Smithing" forum but haven't gotten any replies. Not to be impatient but maybe not as many read that forum as this one. So here goes again:

I have a 605SS2 38/357 5-shot revolver that I like a LOT. It wasn't shooting POA even considering my poor marksmanship. :D After close inspection, the barrel was about 1 degree twisted to the right. I sent it back to Taurus and they fixed it.

About 6-8 weeks later, I noticed the same problem. But I didn't feel like sending it back again, plus I was annoyed so I took a towel and some pliers and turned the barrel back straight. I tried to let some blue LocTite seep into the seam and am going today to fire the pistol to see if it stays. A friend said possibly the 357 ammo with the r/h twist of the rifling could cause the twist. Sounds like a good point.

So I am gonna go shoot some 38 and some 38+P to see how it makes out. If it stays straight, I'll do 357 next trip but just a little 'cause that stuff is expensive and hard to find! Plus I have a blued (black) model of the exact same pistol that doesn't experience the problem.

If it twists, is the barrel something I can remove myself? Or turn it just a bit more and actually apply red Loctite or other permanent locker to the threads (or whatever) before tightening it back up? Any other suggestions other than a return trip to Florida?

Thanks to all for advice and/or ideas.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I can't say for sure but I would say if you can easily unscrew it, take it out and look at the threads. One or the other may have cut too deep. I can't see where applying some red loctite to the threads would hurt. Just make sure you get it correct or you will have to apply heat to the frame to move it again. The only problem I may see with this is if the barrel may damaged already and you will have to send to Taurus anyway. Good luck.
As far as no one responding, don't lose faith but we don't like to give advice we don't know whether it will help or hurt.

·
Registered
83 Posts
... Or turn it just a bit more and actually apply red Loctite or other permanent locker to the threads (or whatever) before tightening it back up? ...
I would. It's been years since I unscrewed a barrel but I think that should take care of it. I'm always more worried about scratches than anything else.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AHA! Thanks, guys, that's pretty much the info I was looking for. IF the barrel could be unscrewed. It is not loose. It had just shifted a tiny bit so the sight post was a degree or so off. Made shootin' real interesting! :( When I tightened it, I wrapped it with a towel and got some channelocks on it (gently...) and turned. Then I put the blue LocTite on the seams. Should have done it prior to turning the barrel but didn't think of it.

If this happens again, now I know I can unscrew it. I don't plan to take it all the way off (I don't think...) but loosen it just a turn or two more so I can put the Red LocTite actually on the threads. Not being able to easily remove the barrel doesn't really bother me.

At this point, it's not damaged in any way and shouldn't need to come off again. Nor go back to Taurus (he says with his fingers crossed :D). So I feel good about this. Hoping it is fixed as it is now, but ready to be re-tightened if it moves again.

Thanks for the replies and info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts