Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first saw the video of this belt buckle that was also a knife, I was intrigued. When I saw it was available in a patriotic theme, knew I had to have it. At first I was hesitant about the price, $110.00. But now that I have the knife in hand, I'm thoroughly satisfied with my purchase. The following is my review of this dual purpose, stealth belt buckle knife:

Buckle with Knife Specifications:
Length 3-1/4"
Height 1-5/8"
Buckle Thickness 1/2"
Overall Thickness with Belt Hook 15/16"
Can accept a belt width up to 1-1/2"
Weight 5-7/8 oz.
Patriotic Theme, others themes available
Shown with 1-1/2" belt (not included) and .45 ACP 230 Grain Speer Gold Dots

Knife Specifications:
Blade Material 440C Stainless Steel
Blade Length 2-1/2"
Overall Length Closed 3-1/4"
Overall Length Opened 5-5/8"
Weight 3-1/8 oz.
Includes Linear Safety Lock

A quote from wikipedia.org: "Type 440—a higher grade of cutlery steel, with more carbon in it, which allows for much better edge retention when the steel is heat-treated properly. It can be hardened to around Rockwell 58 hardness, making it one of the hardest stainless steels. Due to its toughness and relatively low cost, most display-only and replica swords or knives are made of 440 stainless. Also known as razor blade steel. Available in four grades: 440A, 440B, 440C, and the uncommon 440F (free machinable). 440A, having the least amount of carbon in it, is the most stain-resistant; 440C, having the most, is the strongest and is usually considered a more desirable choice in knifemaking than 440A except for diving or other salt-water applications."

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Fit & Finish. The buckle and knife are extremely well made with all pieces fitting nicely together. The brushed stainless with oxidized accents accentuate the patriotic theme. I cannot detect any side-to-side play in the blade. Once the blade has been opened, the lock engages exactly when the blade is in its most extreme open position. The blade locking mechanism tolerances are very tight and at the same time do not require any undue force to engage. The knife is held securely in place by a rare earth magnet and a pin which prevents any lateral movement of the knife while in the buckle. I do not believe the knife is able to pop out of the buckle even under extreme physical activity.

Appearance. The buckle is not as big as I was expecting, which is to say, a typical cowboy or biker belt buckle. But, I feel this works to the wearer's advantage because it allows the buckle to be worn with a wider variety of dress styles. Its styling fits well with jeans, cargo pants and shorts, khakis and even casual business attire.

Function. You remove the knife by placing your thumb behind the top edge of the knife and pushing it outward, away from your body. A clicking sound will be heard. I have not yet been able to remove the knife silently. Pushing the knife away from the body is the only method of removing the knife from the buckle. The blade does not have a spring assist. Opening the blade is a one-handed operation and is accomplished by using your thumb to push upward and outward on the brass nub. The blade is extremely sharp due to its 440C stainless composition. Given the constraints of its stealthy design, the knife fits well in the grip of your hand. As you can see from the photos, the American Flag appears on just one side. The magnet and hole for the buckles retaining pin are on the other side.

Summary. I am very pleased with the fit and finish of this knife. I love its dual stealth nature. The choice of materials used in the construction of this knife lead me to believe I will receive a lifetime of use. No doubt, some lucky relative will feel very fortunate to some day receive this unique heirloom. The blade is engraved with the phrase, "UNLIKE MOST." I believe that statement to be true.

http://www.belt-buckle-knife.com/
Videos: http://www.belt-buckle-knife.com/video

·
Super Moderator
21,439 Posts
Great write up I think I'm convinced that i should add thet to my collection. I have a gun and scope to get first but i will own one. Thanks for the write up the vidio is impressive but does not answer many questions.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
45 Forever said:
Thanks for the write up the vidio is impressive but does not answer many questions.
You are quite welcome. I wrote it up Sunday night and was in a bit of a rush. A couple of things I should have added were:

1) The maker says he guarantees the knife "until the earth stops spinning." While that's a nice sentiment, I'd say that means until is he no longer is in business.
2) He claims the knife is legal in California, which means it should be in all other states.

If you have any questions, go ahead and ask. I might even have an answer. ;)

·
Administrator
35,111 Posts
just don't forget you have it on when you're about to board a plane...... :eek:

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
texastaurusguy said:
just don't forget you have it on when you're about to board a plane...... :eek:
It only has a 2-3/8" blade, so I do not know if it passes the FAA's new penknife rules. I am flying in three weeks, but I do not want to risk getting it confiscated. That would suck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
i wounder if the knife would even be detected by metal dectector or security? P.S. i have one and love it!!!

·
Administrator
35,111 Posts
That stupid metal detector went off with my el cheapo belt buckle....told me if I set it off again, i'd have to go be strip-searched (exaggeration) off to the side....so I had to take my belt off and pass thru, no problems. it wasn't that much metal, and not very thick, but it sure detected it.

I agree with Vegasguy, that would REALLY suck if you spent $100 on a knife and it got taken up......unless you had somebody standing right there who could take it back, I don't think I'd try it. You can just stuff it into your checked luggage, though, and have it with you for your whole trip. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts