Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
8,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sold a few guns and had dollars jumping out of my billfold. So I went by a few LGS's and found a few gems. This evening I will be reviewing one of them, A Taurus PT945 in shiny stainless.
P1030370bb.jpg
This beauty came in its original box with a manual and some bling ( a sweet Taurus keychain ) along with one OEM magazine and two aftermarket mags. My purchase cost was $349 OTD..The PT945 weighs 29.7oz's unloaded w/mag and 35.5oz's loaded with 8+1 185grn Golden Sabers. The DA trigger pull is about 1/2 inch long, very smooth with a crisp 9lb break. The reset is about 1/8" to a SA pull of 6lb's.
P1030369bb.jpg
My buddy Donald and his young son came over today to share in the cold,cloudy day and shoot a few guns. Together we put 150 flawless rounds through it of mixed HP's and 230 grn brass ball. It just keeps on ticking. As you can see this little pistol can get pretty dirty, oh did I mention it is ported!
P1030371bb.jpg
The recoil is very soft for 45acp and sight to target recovery time is nill. The porting changes the impulse dramatically, similar to how the 627 porting affects 357 mag recoil. The 945 is 7 3/4" long, 5 5/16" tall and at the slide it is 1" wide, at the ambi decocker/safety it is 1.39" wide.
P1030374bb.jpg
There is an obvious down side to the porting, the pistol gets quite dirty, I did touch up the rear sights with white paint, but used a bright red for the front sight. It seems to show the carbon less than a white front dot. But we all could still see the front sight after 150 rounds, and it was a cold, dark dreary day, with freezing mist.
P1030372bb.jpg
This is my target, the center was shot at 20 yards, the lower left was shot at 15 yards and the lower right was an attempt to try at 25 yards. But the mist and fog made seeing the target difficult. This is the mildest 45 I have shot to date, and pretty accurate for a 23 year old pistol ( the original owner put his NRA qual target, dated in the box). I will probably look to do a grip upgrade as the hard rubber grips, while tacky, are kinda cheesy. This 945 looks like a Taurus 92 and a Sig 227 had a kid. The slide looks Sig-ish and the alloy frame is all PT92. Great combo and very enjoyable to share and shoot.

·
Registered
950 Posts
The barrel in the breakdown pic looks kinda odd. Are those holes I see?

Reactions: silverstring

·
Registered
950 Posts
That would be the ports in the barrel.
I had to research that one. Factory ported even. Cool. I noticed that the inside of the slide was kinda dirty, then saw those holes in the barrel. Cool. I wonder how it chronographs? Looks like a 1'' barrel with a built in 2'' compensator.

It needs a set of the rosewood or mother of pearl grip panels as mentioned in the article. My 908 has a set of the black plastic jobs. Flimsy as hell.

Taurus? PT945 .45 ACP Pistol

Attachments

·
22,963 Posts
Very nice! Congratulations! Is this going to be a carry gun?

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Congrats! I really like those older models, especially something unique like the porting. That is a 'personality' that you just don't get with polymer, and such a $teal. Enjoy and shoot safe.

(Yes, I know glocks can be ported too, but it's just not the same.) :D

·
8,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very nice! Congratulations! Is this going to be a carry gun?
I have been thinking it would be a great carry with the right rig. The soft recoil, light weight with hard hitting 45acp would seem to be a good answer.

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
That would be the ports in the barrel.
yep! an actual functioning port, not just a slide with holes in it for looks.
of course IF one has not experienced the joy of shooting a ported weapon --especially with target ammo (ie slow, impotent,and dirty) then it does have its downside as mentioned by the OP. sights get dirty quite fast especially a fiber optic sight.
I can load up a 45 acp round using Unique and make a fiber optic rod disappear in about 30 rounds and thats not a ported barrel!

·
Registered
24,850 Posts
Congrats on your new to you slide gun. Very nice.

·
Premium Member
13,411 Posts
Great find on a gorgeous pistol. Congrats!

·
Administrator
18,181 Posts
Congratulations on your new-to-you Taurus PT945 and may it serve you well! :cool: :smile:

Had one for a few years, but I never shot it as well as I did my EAA .45 Witnesses. Later on, I traded it off for my Taurus .45 24/7 OSS.
My PT945 was a late production model that appeared like the stock photo below:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
35,349 Posts
That right there is a gorgeous handgun! Congrats!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts