Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, it's late here, even later for all y'all. But it's the weekend, so who cares, right? lol

Okay, I got my 2-fer AG holster duo a month to the day I ordered it. This will just be a review of the OWB Slide holster. Still getting info on the Cloak 2.0 yet.

The OWB AG holster looks a bit unwieldy, but holds up well, and holds tight to the body, something I did not expect. So pleasant surprise there. I must say that finding the correct retension arrangement with the screws and spacers is a bit of a challenge. I wound up using the middle spacer by the slide, and removed the spacers entirely by the trigger guard. It's the only way I could get my pistol to retain securely to my satisfaction. It probably doesn't help that I am carrying a double stack Para 1911-style w/ a 3.5" barrel. It's wider in the back than single stack 1911s. And its more top-heavy. All that aside, it is very easy to position on the belt (slides very easily) and easy to draw from. I might recommend adding an optional body shield to aid some of us in reholstering.

I don't know if this was just my holster, but it took only a few days of wearing (4-6 hrs a day) before the leather belt loops in back started stretching out. They stretched to the point of not holding the butt of my pistol up close anymore, and was actually beginning to flop away when walking. AG wasted no time at all getting me a replacement back piece for no charge. So they definitely stand good on their warranty! The leather strips making up the belt slots were thicker. However, I strongly recommend making possible an option for hard plastic strips to serve in place of the current leather ones. It may even be a little cheaper to make that way, and would not be prone to stretching out with use. But so far, haven't had the "flopping away" problem with the replacement backing.

It is easily as good as any plastic OWB out there in this price range, and better than most. It's hard to even find leather OWB holsters at all in this price range, and one may question the quality of such leather. The AG Slide OWB is a nice marriage between the two and is really a value for the money. This is especially true when it comes to the interchangeability of the shells. Yes, the shell is the same format used for the IWB holsters, both 1.0 and 2.0. I may try to put my pt145 shell on it instead to see if it supports it better (plastic frame, fewer bullets, lower overall weight).

I hope this review is helpful to anyone who is considering buying one. I would probably get the 2-fer deal, save a few bucks, and order it for a different pistol, so you will get 2 shells that you can interchange! Hopefully I will be able to do a write up on the 2.0 IWB soon, but as it was for the wife, I have to wait until she gives me feedback on it!

Get your orders in now, and you may get it before the newly elected House members formally take office!

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Thanks for the review. Still waiting on mine. I think I am at 5 weeks now.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36,084 Posts
I received my tuck 2 in 6 weeks and 3 days from order.
So far I am pretty pleased with It.
been wearing it carrying my CZ P-01 and its working alright.
I have an extra shell for the Beretta PX4SC, which Is both lighter and smaller than the CZ but haven't tried that gun/shell on it yet.
The feedback from me was 1) improve shipping times, 2) offer a wider selection of shells for specific guns.
the CZ shell was only available for the CZ SP-01 which is a inch longer an so the shell is an inch longer than it needs to be, which comes onto play when one sits down.
The UP side to this is that my CZSP-01 Tactial, EAA Witness 10 MM , EAA Witness 38 super also fits the holster.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE: 2-6-15: Regarding the OWB Slide AG holster, I am going to try an experiment. I have been carrying a Para Ordnance P12.45 (officer length 1911 style) for a couple months, and I have to say that I think it is just too heavy a pistol for this holster. So, I am swapping shells with my pt145 IWB AG holster, in the hopes that a polymer frame, coupled with 2 less rounds, will make enough difference to keep the OWB Slide holster from sagging. The Para no longer even clicks into position, and would easily fall out if in any position besides upright. Here's hoping to a successful experiment. More to come...

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I have a few IWB which are completely different then OWB. I like the Cloak 2.0 as it breathes. I have the plastic belt clips and carry a Glock 23 comfortably all day. Like I said, IWB and OWB are different animals. Thanks for your review.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATED REVIEW: 2/28/15 - Regarding the Slide OWB Holster, I mentioned I was going to try a switch-eroo experiment. I have a Cloak 1.0 for mt pt145 (works great) and the Slide is for my Para p12 all-steel frame (doesn't work so great). So I swapped shells, hoping the polymer frame and 2 less rounds would put less weight on the Slide holster. This would in turn give my grip-heavy Para additional carry support of my waistband and a proper gun-carry-belt.

I also noticed the rubber washer-spacers for the belt loops were the "medium" thickness, allowing the Slide holster to reposition/slide along the belt almost too easily. I swapped them out with the thinnest washer/spacers that come with the holster, and it holds position MUCH better! So good, in fact, that I would strongly recommend to AG that they switch to using the thin spacers before shipping them from the factory.

The OWB Slide holster indeed works much better with the polymer frame pistol. I think that the all metal frame pistols might be a little much for this holster to reliably hold tight to the body. Also, Alien Gear should really consider incorporating some kind of body shield for this holster, as it is a little difficult to keep from holstering some of my shirt along with the pistol! The IWB holsters have one, this should at least be an available option for the OWB as well, rather than leaving it out in order to get more leather backpieces out of a single piece of hide.

As for the AG IWB, it will become my go-to holster for my heavier pistol, the Para p12.45 doublestack. But the OWB Slide will only carry my lighter weight pistol/s, and I will make future buying decisions accordingly. I do not know if the situation would be any different for a full size 1911. I do not have the shell to try it out with.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts