Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
check out this guys review of the taruus 1911.wait till you see what he says about other taurus models.

·
Registered
33 Posts
that was a pretty professional review i'd say.

"99.9% of Taurus handguns are sh!t" that must be why you ran out & bought one of your own!

judging by his other videos, i wouldn't put too much stock in anything he has to say. he's even worse than the typical 1911, AR15, and Glock leghumper IMO.

edit: i'm not saying any of this because i have a special love for the Taurus 1911, in fact i think they are one of Tauruses cheapest feeling products. for the money i'd pick Rock Island Armory's 1911's long before Taurus.

·
32,658 Posts
As a side note Massad Ayoob has the new 'Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery' and 'Harris Outdoor Group Presnets- The Complete Book of Handguns' out now.

In these he has the facts that the PT1911 is being used by professionals for defense,who it is, PT1911 are at IDPA competitions more than ever, and articles that laud the PT1911.

He and other gun writer instructors are giving the PT1911 high marks,seeing them come through classes and holding up well through those high round count classes.

Reliability, very good accuracy, durability,good ergonomics, user friendliness, and factory extras that can be found normally on the 'higher priced spread' 1911 guns were cited by the authors of the articles.

So there is positive feedback from the working professionals on this. This despite Internet Commandos and their ilk.

The supposed problems that many have criticized or have heaped abuse upon this model have not been seen by the professional public. Not just the gun writers. That point was driven home by the fact that those who have used PT1911s as working guns have not had the problems others have coem up with.

Not to say that all is strawberries and cream. As with any mechanical contrivance things can happen or go wrong at times.

However things have taken a positive turn. :)

·
Administrator
35,530 Posts
Mas Ayoob reviewed the 1911 in Combat Handguns and gave it 2 thumbs up. He thought it was a well put together tackdriver with the right ammo. OlsenG360, I don't own a 1911, I've never owned one, but I'm just not sure where you are coming from on this......I haven't seen one bad review of the gun.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I own that Complete Book of Handguns and the article by Ayoob was very insightful. Combined with reviews I have read here about the PT-1911 I am glad I purchased it. No regrets whatsoever.

·
Registered
33 Posts
texastaurusguy said:
Mas Ayoob reviewed the 1911 in Combat Handguns and gave it 2 thumbs up. He thought it was a well put together tackdriver with the right ammo. OlsenG360, I don't own a 1911, I've never owned one, but I'm just not sure where you are coming from on this......I haven't seen one bad review of the gun.
i haven' seen any bad reviews on the Taurus 1911 either, but from holding & taking several 1911's apart side by side the Taurus doesn't come out on top, even in it's price range. It just has a really cheap look & feel to it compared to some others. It's just a personal preference.

·
Registered
162 Posts
OlsenG_360 said:
i haven' seen any bad reviews on the Taurus 1911 either, but from holding & taking several 1911's apart side by side the Taurus doesn't come out on top, even in it's price range. It just has a really cheap look & feel to it compared to some others. It's just a personal preference.
$20 for Hogues changed the "feel" positively in mine. I can come up with several reasons why I do and do not like the Heine sights. When it comes to the important part, performance, I've been very pleased. No mechanical problems and darned accurate. I haven't quite figured out what I get for 2-3 times the price of a PT1911B in the "better" 1911's. Doesn't seem to be accuracy and reliability and I'm way past the point I have to impress anyone with a name tag.

The review was interesting. First the PT1911 is the only Taurus he likes. The other 99.9% is based on his personal experience or word of mouth? I keep hearing how bad Taurus models are, but almost never find anyone who actually owned one giving the bad reports. Second, he modifies the grip base and then complains about the terrible mags not fitting an extension they weren't made to fit. Fair review, but not very compelling.

·
Administrator
35,530 Posts
Hold on - I've got to know what you mean by that - what exactly do you see that is sub-par or bad when you field strip a Taurus and another 1911 side by side? Exactly what parts are sub-standard in the Taurus that are not in the other 1911? And exactly which other 1911 are you using for this insightful comparison? Do you have any pictures of the side-by-side comparison you can post to elaborate on your points?

Thanks, I'm looking forward to your next post.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I don't understand the feel compared to others??

Doesn't the feel come from the grips anyway? or is it in ones mind that I am paying a lot of money for a pistol so it must feel better than others?

·
Registered
162 Posts
"Feel" can mean anything you want: grips, weight, balance, ease of lining up the sites...

My PT1911 holds more comfortably with Hogue wraparounds than the grips that came with the pistol. I happen to like Hogues. It could well be if I bought one of the high-dollar 1911's, I'd improve the "feel" with Hogues.

·
32,658 Posts
Of course when one wants to complain and has nothing to hand their hat on... like facts.. nor do they offer any, it's typical to do so in that manner.

The metalurgy has been picked apart by the writers,shooting instructors,as well as many owners and not found wanting. Much has been made about this. Anything made in Brazil ( includes some Springfield Armory guns and parts) somehow are not up to par on a mysterious way that the posters cannot quanitify and is of questionable unwise "Conventional Wisdom" at best.

Metal casting and 'poor quality' or 'low grade' steel is cited without definite proof because some how we're all supposed to know "that's the truth out there" and all else does not matter.
That's why it is interesting to find militaries, police units, and civilians world wide using X,Y,or Z brand and then see said guns get trashed at the gun forums with problems that no one else is seeing though it could happen or not at all. Ther is feed back through channels,printed, or word of mouth on all this.

Feel is subjective at best and can be changed. Intangible things are fun things to play with aren't they folks? :) :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Geez guys, sorry i didn't write a book after I mentioned the Taurus might make the best 1911 out there.

The 3 1911's i compared were the Rock Island Armory 1911 Tactical, Taurus PT1911B, and a Springfield Armory 1911 GI 45. I lumped them into the "under $700 1911" category. Only the Springfield was brand new, the Taurus and RIA were owned by other customers in the gun shop.

We field stripped them all down & laid them out on the counter. The only one that really stood out was the Taurus. It was because of all the metal shavings inside the slide rails and uneven wear on the right side of the barrel lug, there was a noticeable indentation there. The owner was dumbfounded at the sight of it, said he only had about 1,100 rounds through the gun (no malfunctions in that time either). The RIA had a couple burrs inside that gave it an unfinished look, but the owner said he hadn't had any function problems in 750'ish rounds.

After putting the guns back together we all dry fired them a few times to get a feel for the triggers. We all agreed that the new Springfield had the smoothest trigger of the 3, then the RIA, and lastly the Taurus with a really sticky, gritty feel to it (could be the metal shavings made their way into the trigger assembly). Also with the Taurus and RIA I personally couldn't reach the hammer because of the enormous beavertail. Had to use 2 hands to cock and decock these guns. But really, who carries their 1911 NOT cocked & locked anyway. A non-issue for the most part.

The wear on the slide rails and barrel lugs was really the only concern I'd have about buying the PT1911 for myself. Maybe this one Taurus was just a lemon from the start, it's the only one I've held so I couldn't tell you if they were all like this. Triggers can be reworked, internals deburred, beavertails bobbed, and there's tons of options out there for grips, as was seen in the original review (Punisher grips)

That's my $.02 take it for what it's worth. Opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one and they always stink. etc..

edit: i really don't care how 1911's stack up against each other, i don't own any or plan on owning any. the only reason i was there comparing them was because my dad wants to get a 1911 as a retirement gift to himself.

·
32,658 Posts
I can say the same thing about the Taurus 1911 samples I've seen... up to a point. Local gun guru behind the counter took two examples apart of the PT1911 while doing a check out and had curious gun aficianados (myself included in the store looking on and examining newly minted 1911 examples.

There were no troubles, out of spec stuff, or QC problems anywhere.
Not saying it can't happen. Just odd that's all.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i don't want to be branded a taurus basher by any means, in fact i'd love to see every gun that taurus makes never have a problem. but mechanical things wear out, they break, they have quality problems that remain unseen at the factory.

service after the sale, standing behind your products and making it right with the customer is far more important than a brand name, that's why i decided to take the chance and buy a taurus for myself. for example my dad bought a S&W .38 special about 2 years ago, and it's spent most of it's life at S&W being repaired or in the mail. Even then it was a $600+ revolver from S&W, problematic since day one. Less than 200 rounds have been fired through it by my dad. think he'll be buying another S&W anytime soon? not a snowball's chance in hell

·
32,658 Posts
No problem. Initially there wasn't any evidence as to why the statements were made. That can lead to pondering as to why that's so by the rest of us.

Like the National Inquirer inquiring minds want to know. Know we do. :)

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
If you look around this site you will find that those of us that have the PT 1911 and are happy with them way out number the ones who do not like them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts