Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Reunited *RANGE PICS*

While building my 6.8 SPC i realized i shouldn't have got rid of my RRA Mid-Length 5.56... :'(
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/other-long-arms/64202-parted-ways.html
so i have my 6.8 SPC lower waiting for it's AR Performance 16" Classic Combat Upper to arrive,and now i decided to buy a DPMS HBAR 5.56 Carbine upper
Darn! now I don't have a lower for my 6.8...... but i can start shooting an AR again :thumb:
If i decide to buy another lower i'll post it (I probably will)

I got a chance to put some rounds down the barrel... i shot some of my "plinker" loads and my favorite 223 rounds
55gr SGK with Varget the groups were still under .500 (3 shots) but with my old rifle i was getting flat primers
not anymore when i have a chance i'll chronograph them with this rifle see if they still go 2950 fps
I think i need to buy a new camera and quit buying gun stuff...lol
If i get a chance at work I'll check my sights again try another set of groups
now i need to test my 10mm loads...to many loads not enough time..... :mad:

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I'm not up to speed on all the "uppers" and "lowers" of the tactical rifles, but I know an awesome looking firearm when I see one!

WOW! :eek:

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Nice!

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Sweet looking rifle. I've been thinking about a 6.8 build, but got more confused than all the 5.56 combos when I heard about the different specs for the round and barrel twist rates. What barrel twist did you go with, and what do you know about the dif specs?? Thanks.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sweet looking rifle. I've been thinking about a 6.8 build, but got more confused than all the 5.56 combos when I heard about the different specs for the round and barrel twist rates. What barrel twist did you go with, and what do you know about the dif specs?? Thanks.
I've always shot 1:9 twist rates for 55gr bullets, i've also read 1:9 is good up to 69gr... but i never tried them, my pet load flies 2950fps 16"barrel under .500 groups @ 100yds so i never bothered. The reason for the 6.8 was the caliber.. with 223 placement is real critical IMO.... my Remmy 700 in 308 kills just about anything where i hunt...even if you shoot it in the !#$$.... lol so i wanted a little more in an AR platform we'll see... I chose an upper from AR performance due to the 11.25:1 twist 5R barrel and short leade
AR performance has got a good reputation with the 6.8 forums Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com - Home of the 6.8 SPC cartridge! that there is a long wait for 6.8 barrels and uppers...the down side to the 6.8 is brass availability (i work at a range part time so i find it) and bullet avilability (most using 85-95gr Barnes TTSX or 110gr Sierra Pro Hunters).... you got me on a 6.8 rage again...lol
for the 5.56 I'd do a 1:9 twist / HBAR for a happy "medium" in bullet selection and Heavy Barrel for accuracy and put a good trigger.... single stage 3lbs for me... someone here recommended Bill Springfield - www.TriggerWork.net he is good fast and reasonable
PM if you like....

Reactions: Zylo_X

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I've always shot 1:9 twist rates for 55gr bullets, i've also read 1:9 is good up to 69gr... but i never tried them, my pet load flies 2950fps 16"barrel under .500 groups @ 100yds so i never bothered. The reason for the 6.8 was the caliber.. with 223 placement is real critical IMO.... my Remmy 700 in 308 kills just about anything where i hunt...even if you shoot it in the !#$$.... lol so i wanted a little more in an AR platform we'll see... I chose an upper from AR performance due to the 11.25:1 twist 5R barrel and short leade
AR performance has got a good reputation with the 6.8 forums Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com - Home of the 6.8 SPC cartridge! that there is a long wait for 6.8 barrels and uppers...the down side to the 6.8 is brass availability (i work at a range part time so i find it) and bullet avilability (most using 85-95gr Barnes TTSX or 110gr Sierra Pro Hunters).... you got me on a 6.8 rage again...lol
for the 5.56 I'd do a 1:9 twist / HBAR for a happy "medium" in bullet selection and Heavy Barrel for accuracy and put a good trigger.... single stage 3lbs for me... someone here recommended Bill Springfield - www.TriggerWork.net he is good fast and reasonable
PM if you like....
Thanks for the info. I'm getting the 'itch', but can't decide if I want to build the 6.8 or wait for the Colt LE901 (7.62). Since I have the Colt LE6940, I'm leaning toward the 901.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
There is a dealer up in New Braunfels who is selling COMPLETE (including charging handle and BCG) for $419 on Texasguntrader.com - I have been looking for a very inexpesive upper for awhile now as I have a complete lower already. I don't need an AR15 as I already have a 5.56 SU-16 and will probably sell it as they tend to go for more than they should around here. The SU-16 is more AK than AR in its action and is a cleaner gun to shoot; just doesn't have near the aftermarket the AR does.

Someone asked what complete upper and complete lower means. You can buy all the parts from an AR15 individually and put a gun together. They essentially come in two halves that are pinned. The upper that contains the bolt and carrier, charging handle, barrel and the frame with the parts that hold these together. You have the lower which contains the trigger group and butt stock, etc. If you buy a complete upp and a complete lower, you can put them together in seconds via the pin. The lower aka receiver is the part of the gun that carries the serial number and must be treated as a firearm as far as the BATF with correspoinding FFL regs. If you ship a lower, you must ship as you would a handgun where the upper can be shipped as parts only and doesn't need to go through an FFL. You can also buy complete AR15 kits where you can assemble an AR15 inexpensively. These kits are generally sold minus what is called a "stripped receiver" and you buy it separate; again because it is the part of the gun with the serial number.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
3,789 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OH [email protected]!! Gee Thanks, now you've got me looking again. :D

Is there any difference / advantage to using a 6.8 designated lower receiver, or is that just more marketing hype??
Nah...no difference to me, mabey to others wanting a caliber designation.... most AR lowers are supposed to be the same (Mil-Spec)
My Lower is a Mega Arms Multi (caliber)....and I just picked up another for the 6.8.... 5.56 stole the other Mega...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts