Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It has been a couple of years since I owned a Taurus. Previously, I have owned the PT 709 and PT 1911. The 1911 was a wonderful handgun. My 709 spent too much time in the shop. Well I recently traded a Colt Agent revolver for a PT 945SS. Have not had an opportunity to shoot it. Hope to this weekend when I try out my other recently firearm acquisition, a Sig M400 (AR).
Never really liked the Agent even though I sought one for two years before finding one. After owning it and shooting it, it was relegated to a bedside night stand. Even with light loads, it was no joy to shoot.
I am thinking the 945 will complement my Sig 2022 in terms of decent range guns. For carry purposes I have stayed with a cousin of the 709 - the Walther PPS in 9mm.
Have not found much on the 945. Would like to find what year mine was made. Never mind, it was made in 2001.
Of course any insight from existing owners or previous owners of this model would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
You have there, in my opinion, the best 45acp pistol available (ducks from the 1911 lovers). The only thing I would suggest is some wood grips. I found the factory plastic grips a little too skinny for my liking.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
You have there, in my opinion, the best 45acp pistol available (ducks from the 1911 lovers). The only thing I would suggest is some wood grips. I found the factory plastic grips a little too skinny for my liking.
You better duck sucker!:icon_ poke::D:D:D

I would like to shoot one to compare it to my Colt Gold Cup National Match. When and if I do, I will provide a complete report, good, bad, or ugly!:thumb:

To the OP, that looks nice indeed. Do provide a range report when you can.

Reactions: Magnum_Gauge

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Nice gun. Glad you are back with the Bull.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on your new pistol.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Indeed I am looking forward to handling this handgun on the firing range. I guess the question that begs to be asked, why was it discontinued?
I would not mind finding some wooden grips for the gun.

·
Administrator
18,116 Posts
I guess the question that begs to be asked, why was it discontinued?
It was not just the PT945 that was discontinued, but the whole PT900 series Pistols in the Taurus Lineup, which were considered replaced by the PT800 series Pistols.
The PT945 in essence, was replaced by it's Polymer Framed counterpart, the PT845.

I owned and carried a PT945 for about a dozen years. While I liked it, I did not love it, and it lost out to my .45 EAA Witness, as did my S&W 4506.
I traded off the PT945 for my Taurus .45 24/7 OSS.

Size Comparison of Taurus PT945 vs EAA Witness .45

·
Registered
21,118 Posts
Good looking gun. It's on the list.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm. Spent a little time at the range with the Pt 945. I kept it on the paper and it did not malfunction in a box of ammo. Accuracy for my part was not that good. But it was a nice shooting firearm. Definitely better than what I traded for it. The rear sight has some play in it. But so far I think of it as a nice acquisition. Was not as good with it out of the box as I was with the Sig 2022 or the CZ 2075.

·
Registered
12,088 Posts

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,185 Posts
welcome home.png

PT 945 is on my short list also! Nice slider :thumb:

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Nice 945!