Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I emailed about purchasing a couple of spare extractors and this is the response I got:

Hello Brian,

Good afternoon. It is a great day at Taurus USA. My name is Veronica and I would be happy to assist you with your inquiry.

Thank you for your interest in our firearms. We currently do not have the extractor available for purchase. The extractor is a restricted part because to access the this part the firearm would need to be taken past the basic fieldstrip in the owner's manual.

Is there anything else I can do to further assist you?
Thank you!
Veronica
Customer Service Chat Agent | Taurus Holdings, Inc.
100 Taurus Way, Bainbridge, GA 39817
Taurus USA

I received the same response when I asked about the firing pin safety plunger springs....

·
Registered
37,123 Posts
ahh YEP!
thats pretty standard for several years now, actually I had to ship a PT1911 back several years back cause it was brand spanking new and had a soft extractor that after about 6-7-8 rounds fired would get so loose that it would not extract, so instead of shipping it back was going to just buy an extractor and do it myself!
they didn't have a 1911 extractor instock!
ahh yea lets see those things do take up a lot of space in the warehouse don't they?
anyway i shipped it back for them to repair and it was gone 9 weeks!
and now for the good news --taurus extractors are NOT industry standard, so if you want to keep it series 80 then you kinda gotta use one of theirs.
good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have experimented with a Wilson Combat extractor, but the firing pin safety plunger didn't like it. So I purchased a Colt FPSP and spring, and while the extractor was ok with it, the firing pin didn't like it. So I bought a Wilson combat firing pin and if I use all of the new stuff instead of the old stuff I can somewhat make it work. If the extractor breaks, or if I lose that non-standard safety plunger spring, I guess I will buy the little spacer and convert it from an 80 to a 70 series. Seems odd that Taurus has to be so difficult....

·
Registered
37,123 Posts
I have experimented with a Wilson Combat extractor, but the firing pin safety plunger didn't like it. So I purchased a Colt FPSP and spring, and while the extractor was ok with it, the firing pin didn't like it. So I bought a Wilson combat firing pin and if I use all of the new stuff instead of the old stuff I can somewhat make it work. If the extractor breaks, or if I lose that non-standard safety plunger spring, I guess I will buy the little spacer and convert it from an 80 to a 70 series. Seems odd that Taurus has to be so difficult....

yes!
if you check out the size of the hole in the extractor that the plunger goes through and the plunger and plunger spring they are all smaller than standard.
I had a friend that had a problem with losing his plunger spring when the disassembled the gun to clean it throughly and came to me for help!
I looked and thought ,damn that looks about the same size as a spring on a ball point ink pen, and you know what it was.
I cut it to length, put it in, tested the pistol and it worked.
I then told him to immediately get the correct spring for it, i bet he still ahs the Bic Pen spring in it, although i would have just made it a series 70 if it had been mine. anyway, hope you get the problem worked out.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Sounds like a good reason to buy another, then you'll always have spare parts.

Reactions: CorpOffRoader

·
Registered
G2c PT145 MilPro
398 Posts
For no other reason than curiosity, since I don't own one, what's a series 70/80? Isn't a PT1911 a PT1911?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts