Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have begun my fall projects with the restoration of 2 Remington 541-X military trainers and 1 Springfield Armory 1903-A3. I am starting with the trainers, because it is a simple restoration and assemble. These venerable 22LR trainers last saw the light in 1985, and have been in Armorer foil and boxes since. The peep sight and bolt are packaged separately. The first one I pulled out had a badly stained stock, more than likely happened during packing as the stain follows where the foil was wrapped.
P1030596.jpg
Boy what a messy stock. The stain was simple to sand out, but the sweat/dirt bands on the stock from years of soldier hands keep returning. I tried a dark walnut stain, but that just enhanced the banding. So I sanded it down again, and began to draw out the sweat/oil bands with dry stripper. Then sealed with a light pecan stain, Will follow it up with normal gunstock stain as the week progresses. Since the weather isn't warm enough for tru-oil staining and the curing that has to be done between layers, I will use normal wood stain so I can be done in a week or so.

The second trainer was much easier and I just cleaned the stock, and put a light seal coat on it. Cleaned off rust and mineral build up from the barrel and action, soaked all metal parts in CLP for a night, wiped down and assembled. Installed and zeroed the amazing peep sights. Too bad my old eyes can't really take advantage of irons anymore past 40 yards.
P1030601.jpg

It took me 4 groups of 5 to get the rear sight zeroed at 40 yards. But once set, the rounds were touching in bullseye. Man sighting this old Remington in wore me out. The 541-X weighs 8lbs 5.2oz's. It has a 27" bull barrel. The rifle is 48" long. The trigger is set at 3.5lbs.
P1030604.jpg
P1030602.jpg

The owner is ex-military and law enforcement. Is an NRA instructor and will be using these trainers for his teen training classes. So this is a no charge deal. I will be charging $35 to restore the 1903-A3 as long as no parts are needed. As I will spend that much in materials used for cleaning off 40 or more years of thick cosmoline, before I can start the restoration on that classic. Always fun up here in Silverstring's shop out in Far NW Arkansas.

·
Administrator
17,818 Posts
Very Nice Rifles and congratulations on all of your hard work restoring them! :cool:

Looking forward to reading more about the restoration on the Springfield 1903-A3, as I used to have one.

Reactions: silverstring

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Nice rifles congrats beautiful work you doing on them.:cool:

Reactions: silverstring

·
Super Moderator
13,821 Posts
I always enjoy these installments of "the Silverstring Report, brought to you direct from his shop in far NW Arkansas." Well written prose, great pics, all of it magazine quality articles for which we would otherwise pay subscription prices. Looking forward to more reports on these rifles, SS, and that 1903-A3, too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts