Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a gun owner for over a year now so I am far from being an expert. Maybe it was good that I waited until I was 38. I feel that I keep my composure alot better than when I was in my twenties. Anyway, that's moot for my point.

The other day I was at the shooting range with my buddy (formally in the airforce). We had a blast shooting my 20 gauge Mossberg, .22 Henry & Savage. Along with my new PT111 and P85. When we got back to my home he asked if we could go over to my neighbor's so he could show us his rifles. I said that was fine. We go over and my neighbor is like sure. He starts pulling out his rifles and hands my friend a bolt action. My friend then says, "Ah, this one is loaded". Not only loaded, but chambered and three more in the magazine. He was like "Oh, must have been my son".

All I could think of were his kids and grandchild that are always there. I mean, I know I've made my freshman mistakes, But I quickly rectify them and learn for the next time. He and his son have been shooting and handling firearms way longer than I, so shame on both of them. Even if his son did hand him a loaded weapon, he should have still checked it before it went into the gun safe.

It kills me when I get made fun of or get certain looks because I try to go by the book when guns are involved. I mean I got it good for taking a hunter's training course and they didn't and feel that they don't have to because the clerk at Walmart never bothered to ask if they ever hunted before. Also, I get it for unloading my rifle everytime I head back to the vehicle after a hunt.

God forbid though if something should ever happen to anyone in that house. But what really pains me the most is that we are really good friends, and it is a very delicate situation when you want to correct someone of a dangerous situation in their own home when they feel as though they are always right :mad:

·
Registered
130 Posts
The best you can do is throw out a subliminal suggestion and hope he catches on. Its good that you follow the book and it doesn't matter if people make fun of you for it, gun safety is one of those things where doing things by the book may not be cool but it saves lives. A few years back at the gravel pit that I shoot at there was a death, he was a middle aged guy and he was dead in his car with his pistol in his hand. My roomates grandparents found him because they only live up the road from the pit, the thing is forensics showed that he did not commit suicide but it was an accident and he was by himself which makes me think if he had been with someone maybe he had lived. This guy may have shot and handled guns for his whole life but not clearing the chamber was a dire mistake for him on this day, one "oops" is enough to ruin many peoples lives and it is unfortunate. Recently a friend of mine was breaking down his .45 and he shot himself through the stomach and it blew a big hole in him, after a few days in the hospital and the removal of some intestine he has made a full recovery. Now if he had cleared the chamber properly he would not have to tell that story.

I never drive with loaded weapons in the car with the exception of my carry pistol which stays on me all the time. I unload my shotgun and my .22 and any other weapon I may be transporting not only because its the law in my state but its also much safer. The point is just keep doing things by the book and don't go shooting with people that have poor habits and you will be ok. Good shooting and enjoy your guns :)

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
A former co-wroker told me a story once about his step son. He got him a new 30-06 for Christmas this past year. He was chambering it and running the rounds through the mag unloading it and what not. He was treating the new rifle as a new toy and playing with it as he shouldn't have. Well, once he was done, he unloaded it, and laid it on top of his guitar amp. Later that evening, he came in and threw his back pack on top of the amp with the rifle on it. The gun discharged, punching a hole in each side of the tub his mother just minutes got out of and stopping just shy of the headboard where his mother lay after her bath.

As I'm told, this guys handle guns day in and day out and have forever. That just goes to show that you should never let your guard down. There are several of my personal rules broken in this scenario that could have, if not prevented, contained the accident into something a little less scary and into a well learned lesson.

·
Registered
790 Posts
When it comes to firearms, I guess I'm really anally retentive when it comes to safety. I can't stress enough how cautious and careful one must be when handling firearms. I know a great debate exists on whether the government should control permiting by requiring mandatory classes and training. While legislating this may not be the answer, everyone who owns and handles firearms should take the responsibility upon themselves to get proper training before they carry a weapon with them anywhere. And upgrade and refresh your training every few years. It seems the "accidents" happen to those who usually know better, and have many years of experience with guns. This is one area you canot disregard or take shortcuts.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Rule #1 Never Never Hand someone a firearm without clearing it first !
Rule # 2 Treat ALL firearms as if loaded

·
Registered
876 Posts
If they don't clear the action, then I do. I do it without comment. Maybe next time they handle a weapon, they'll do the right thing. People don't like to admit they made a mistake. That's fine, especially if I taught them something or just gave them a quiet reminder.

At least I know the status of the weapon, and can handle it safely, which is the goal.

tman

·
Registered
299 Posts
WHEW!!! Thanks for starting this thread! Even those of us who have handled guns for decades need to be reminded. Complacency can settle in unnoticed, and COMPLACENCY KILLS! :mad:

·
Registered
625 Posts
I learned a really hard lesson a few years ago and it has stuck in my mind every since. I had just purchased a Mossberg 695 slug-gun. It's a bolt action shotgun, with a rifled barrel. I was hunting with some friends and deiced to load the weapon before we left the parking lot. When I released the bolt and chambered the round, the gun went off!!! Right there in the parking lot! Luckily, I had the presence of mind to keep the barrel facing up and away from everyone. Later I found out that Mossberg had a recall on these guns for that very reason. We arer all lucky that nobody was hurt.

A gun is a tool, and it can be a dangerous one if put in the wrong hands. It sounds like your neightbor needs a gentle, or not so gentle, nudge in the right direction. I don't know about your state, but here in Texas it is actually ILLEGAL to have a gun loaded where a kid could get it.

Todd

·
Registered
108 Posts
If they don't clear the action, then I do.
Even if they clear it in front of me, if they close the action before handing it to me I clear it again.
My rules are simple:
Rule #1. Every gun IS LOADED.
Rule #2. Refer to Rule #1.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BoneDigger said:
A gun is a tool, and it can be a dangerous one if put in the wrong hands. It sounds like your neightbor needs a gentle, or not so gentle, nudge in the right direction. I don't know about your state, but here in Texas it is actually ILLEGAL to have a gun loaded where a kid could get it.

Todd
Hey Todd, I ran into my neighbor today. He was excited to show me a new pistol he bought (really nice 1911 Kimber compact). After he removed the magazine and checked it, I still pulled back the slide and double checked it. I also brought up the incident (gently of course). He informed me that he did indeed have words with his son about the loaded gun. I do take his word on it. He is an all around decent guy, who's friendship is valuable to me (just not at the expense of my life).

In P.A. we are handed two pamphlets on gun storage/safety. Child (or minor) liability is also addressed. It is a big deal.

I will admit that when I first started. I made plenty of freshman mistakes. I am guilty of not being sure if all rounds in my gun were fired. So I pulled the trigger while nonchalantly pointing the gun to the ground (dumb move). I would handle my gun on the range when someone was at inspecting their target (mistake two). How many times have I dropped my gun (I need glue). Thank goodness though that (knocking on wood) my mistakes have not been costly. I have however learned, as I try to do on a daily basis.

Last year I got into a major fighting match with a relative. One of the things he said to me was "Why don't you go into the house, get one of your guns and kill me!". Believe me when I say this. That is always the furthest thing on my mind. I refuse to allow myself to be baited into such a mindless act. I honestly hope that I never have to make such a decision. Aside from the preservation of my life or the life of my family (and maybe a really, really hot chick :eek: )

·
Registered
299 Posts
The incidents described here fall into a category I call, "expensive lessons learned cheap."

·
Registered
10 Posts
You did right. The only loaded firearms any where near me when I'm not on the firing line are my carry piece and my Rem. 1100 that sits next to the bed (no kids, yet).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts