Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had Sons cleaning their guns after range use and found Heavy dark residue on front of cylinder(where barrel and cylinder meet).Just want to know what works best for cleaning off. The piston is a 972 6" ss.Want to keep looking as good as possible.Thanks.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Try Hoppe's #9 it works for me....

1.1 USA.gif

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
For my 617SS I use Hoppes and if that does not take it off I use a piece of a greenie and Hoppes and it comes off just fine. Is your finish a shiny finish or matte? Mine is matte and the greenie does not damage it in any way. Crocus cloth will also work.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Birchwood Casey's Lead Remover cloth works well on stainless firearms.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I usually use CLP, rub it on, clean the rest of the gun then back to the cylinder.
However, if it is really bad (thick), I soak a cleaning patch in Hoppes #9 and drape it over the bad areas.
Usually breaks it down pretty well after a couple hours

·
Administrator
39,924 Posts
I've found that vinegar will remove those carbon rings pretty easily on stainless steel. All the above suggestions are effective too. And of course, they all require a little elbow grease! :thumb:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hoppes, a scotchbrite pad and a little elbow grease works quite well. For heavy build up, try a bronze brush with the Hoppes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also use birchwood-casey on my S&W 686. Works great! Once you clean it the first time, everytime there after just wipes off (with the birchwood-casey)as long as you clean it after every shooting session.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would be careful scrubbing with anything but chemical cleaners. If you plan on keeping your revolver for a long time you will remove metal while polishing and this could lead to a change in the dementions of the cylinder. Granted, this will take several years to show up. Just my opinion, sorry.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
A little heavy application of Hoppe's should do the trick, let it sit on the residue for a while to break it down. If that doesn't do it, you can try non-chlorinated brake parts cleaner. But i would consider that a last result because the smell of that stuff can get pretty harsh.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts