Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was inventorying ammo a few weeks ago, I noticed I had a fair amount of 20 gauge shotgun shells. I realized that I had not used my 20 gauge pump in about 10 years or my 20 gauge single shot in more than 30 years.

I originally purchased the pump for general hunting. Over the years, my interest changed to strictly deer hunting. About 10 years ago I bought a lightly used Rossi single shot rifled slug gun for deer hunting. It's a tack driver. The 20 gauge pump got put in it's case and into the back of the cabinet.

I paid about $125 for the pump sometime back in the 1980's (used). It's a Westpoint Model 168 manufactured by Steven Arms. Since I don't have a home defense shotgun, I figured why not shorten the barrel of this one for the purpose.

Step 1: I made arrangements with a buddy who works in a machine shop to shorten the barrel for me. The plan was that I would remove the barrel from the gun and drop it off to him. After watching many Youtube videos I attempted to remove the barrel. It wouldn't budge. I finally found a video of a guy who had the same gun and it appears that the barrel was never intended to be removed from the receiver (at least not easily). He disassembled his down to the barrel/receiver assembly by completely disassembling the entire gun. I did not want to do that.

Step 2: I read a bunch of instructions on gun web sites about shortening a shotgun barrel using a hacksaw. I followed all the instructions. Measured carefully. Marked the cut-off point with tape. Then I put a hose clamp around the barrel to guide the hacksaw blade. I used what I thought was a sharp fine tooth saw. It took some time but I finally got through the cut. I removed the hose clamp and tape and found that I made a nice straight slanted cut. It was Bubba'd.

Step 3: Told my machine shop friend what a mess I had made and gave him the gun.
He took it into his shop and put a vertical belt sander to use on it. Came out looking pretty decent when he was finished.

The barrel started out life at 28 inches. It is now 19-7/8". (The spacing of the vent rib supports is what dictated I go with this length.)

Instead of sitting forgotten in my gun cabinet, it now leans against the wall next to my home office desk ready if ever needed. Before and after pics:

·
Registered
19,001 Posts
:unsure:...you either did that really fast or the clock has stopped.

·
Premium Member
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The furniture could use a little TLC. But I'm happy with the way it turned out.

·
Super Moderator
35,152 Posts
I started out hunting with a 20, an old 870 Remington wingmaster. After buying a 12, I got all into 12 gauge. Well, a good bit of my hunting was for waterfowl and then steel shot came along. 12 was the gauge that made sense. But, I rediscovered the virtues of the 20 on doves. I bought a Remington Spartan SxS, then upgraded to a CZ Redhead. I love that thing. I have a safe full of shotguns and can't waterfowl hunt anymore. I just don't have the energy for it due to a blood cancer that keeps me anemic. Old age sux. The last shotgun I acquired was a Mossberg shockwave, for self defense of course. It's a handy little 20 gauge beast. :D

I could sacrifice a hunting shotgun by cutting it down, but I think I'll pass. Yours does look rather cool, though. :D

Reactions: 2111USMC

·
22,542 Posts
Nice! Now it needs a red dot, a bayonet, a mag tube extension, and a bayonet! 😁 But not a pistol grip. Those are too scary.

Reactions: 2111USMC

·
Super Moderator
36,488 Posts
Knowing my skill with a hand saw of any kind, my friend would have gotten it right off the bat. Good plan to place it in service! I would have preferred a 20 gauge for home defense duty, but the Maverick Security & Field combo in 12 Gauge was too good of a deal to pass up.

·
22,542 Posts
I can't see; did you have a front bead put back on it?

·
Super Moderator
35,152 Posts
Knowing my skill with a hand saw of any kind, my friend would have gotten it right off the bat. Good plan to place it in service! I would have preferred a 20 gauge for home defense duty, but the Maverick Security & Field combo in 12 Gauge was too good of a deal to pass up.

12 really, though I went with the 20, is the logical choice. Nothing at all wrong with a 20, though, for home defense. If you find the recoil of the 12 offensive, there are alternatives in ammo. Buckshot isn't real bad, but boy, I don't think I'd get along with a slug without a shoulder to back it up. 🤣 I can handle 20 gauge slugs, but I don't like the 12 gauge slugs even with a shoulder to attenuate them.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
507 Posts
I've long been a fan of 16 gauge and 20 gauge shotguns for sport, small game and home defense. Your modification really looks good and at home defense range should pattern compactly. Let us know how it patterns when you get a chance.

·
Premium Member
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can't see; did you have a front bead put back on it?
It had a two bead system. One bead at the end of the barrel and another about midway back. The bead that was at the midway point is now only about 6 inches from the end of the barrel. With the vent rib, I think I can probably aim it pretty well the way it is. (Actually, I think I could probably hunt with it if needed.)

Waiting for the temps to go up and some of the snow to melt before I take it out to the range.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts