Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my New 24/7 Pro C DS 45 Stainless Steel on the 24th. I Immediately took it to the another gun shop that has an indoor range. I cleaned and lubed it at a table they provide for their customers. I immediately noticed a few things different about this pistol from other 24/7 Pro, and Millennium Pro pistols. It does NOT have Heine Straight 8 sights. It has 3 dot sights! They may be Heine for all I know. They still are dovetailed and have a set screw on both the front and rear sight.
I did encounter some problems, but they were all magazine related. The pistol comes with two magazines, a 10 round that looks very similar 10 a PT145 magazine I saw. It was still in its packaging, so I didn't ask if I could fit it in mine. I sure wasn't going to buy it to confirm my suspicions either.
As I was loading the 10 round magazine, something didn't feel right. I stopped and began to unload the cartridges. My feelings were right, the follower hung up on the third round. It was stuck in place and refused to move without a bit of prodding from a small screwdriver. I took the magazine apart and noticed a slight bit of flashing on the front and back bottom edges. I sanded them down with some 2000 grit sand paper I had with me. I reassembled the magazine and retried loading it. Again it hung on the third round.
I then tried loading the 12 round magazine. It loaded and unloaded without a problem. I then disassembled both magazines to compare the followers. I'm afraid the picture is the clearest, but the 10 round magazine's follower, on the forward end toward the bottom edge has corners that are squarish in shape, whereas the 12 round magazine's follower is rounded and slightly beveled.
I switched followers and reassembled them. They both loaded and loaded OK, so now I was ready to test fire my new toy. I noticed on my first few shots that the 24/7 shot a bit to the left. I examined the front sight and found that it was installed decidedly to the left. I stopped to see if the gun came with any allen wrenches. It does, for the rear sight. The gun shop did have an allen wrench that fit the front sight, but the sight is in so tight that it could not be moved by hand pressure alone. I had to wait until I got home to realign both the front and rear sights. The sights had to be drifted with a punch. I removed the allen screws, drifted the sights, put some thread lock on the screws and tightened them down. I will check with my neighbor if I can test their alignment in his back yard tomorrow. One of the nice things about being in the county.
The first 10 rounds I put through the gun was Winchester 230gr JHP Defense loads at 12 feet. I had one flyer, otherwise it produced a nice tight pattern. I also tried 5 rounds of Remington Golden Saber 185gr JHP. It produced another tight group I could live with.
It has been a policy of mine to run a magazine of defense rounds, at close range, through all new semi-auto pistols before anything else. I never trust a gun of any kind to shoot where you think it will. If I shoot one at close range, and it is striking dead center, then there's a very good chance that as the distance increases, it still has potential for accuracy. Since the front sights were obviously Obamaized, extremely to the left, it was a wise decision to shoot at this range.
My thinking is, as far as JHP's from the beginning is this, if it feeds and functions 100% with jacketed hollow points before it is broke in, then chances are it won't encounter any problems with such after it is broken in. The 24/7 feed, cycled and ejected them without a hitch.
It wasn't until later that I began to have problems with the 12 round magazine. It caused a few of the infamous nose dives that have been observed in 24/7's a while back. I believe I could correct the follower problem with my Dremel tool, but there was another problem that occurred more than once. I had several occasions where the slide closed on an empty chamber. The 12 round magazine had become detached and dropped slightly. I felt it shift in my hand, so I knew what it was doing. It is again, the fault of the magazine and not the pistol. I shot a little over 200 rounds through the pistol over several hours, and did not have a single problem with the 10 round magazine after I had fixed it - and that was before I had fired a single shot through it.
I took a picture that compares the two magazines at the feeding end. In the picture, the 10 round magazine is on the left, the 12 round is on the right. On the 10 round magazine, there is a raised area that protrudes further outward, is a tad longer and is decidedly wider than the one on the 12 round magazine. I'm contacting Taurus on the 25th to see about getting a replacement magazine. It makes no sense trying to repair the follower, when the magazine keeps wanting to dislodge itself - definitely not a good feature when your life may depend on it.
I do want to mention that I fed it a few Fiocchi 230gr FMJ I had left over. They did OK, but the Winchester Value Pack, 230gr FMJ, which I had 3 boxes of, shot just fine. I shot the Winchester Value Pack 230gr FMJ's from 12 to 40 feet and kept them all in acceptable groupings. I shot out a gourd shaped hole that was about 2 inches wide and 3 inches high with about 40 rounds. I know they kept going through the hole I had created, and weren't leaving any trace that they had even passed that way, but then, if no new holes are being created, then you're doing it right.
I had a suspicion the Fobus SP11B holster would fit my new 24/7. It does. It snaps into place snugly. There is a slight little movement that is can make, a tiny rotation from the front to back of the holster. It won't fall out, or touch the trigger. The Fobus SP11B holster I have, has a screw to adjust tension, and a red backing on the paddle. I would test fit one at the store. The Fobus SP11B is supposed to fit the SIG 250C, CZ 40B, Sig 2022, Springfield Armory XD/HS 2000 .9/.40/.357, Taurus Millennium PT 145, and All Millennium Pro's... and apparently the 24/7 Pro C.
I also found that my model of the 24/7 fits quite nicely in a Galco (CON448B) leather holster. This holster also fits my S&W M&P 45 like a glove, as well as my S&W Sigma 40 GVE. BTW, I did a trigger job on my Sigma and have significantly reduced its trigger pull. It will be my car gun, when I go somewhere that I cannot carry, and have to leave it locked up in the car until I return. It is fairly inexpensive to replace and I have learned to trust these pistols. They seem to eat whatever you feed them, don't break, and always go bang. They just have a stiff trigger that many dislike.
It was originally purchased to hold a P99 Compact in 40 S&W. I traded the pistol off, only to regret that I had. The only problem I had with it, was its adjustable sights. They liked to dig into my side. If I had replaced them with night sights the problem would have no doubt disappeared. On a side note, I saw my P99 for sale again where I had traded it. I was tempted to buy it, but something told me to take its slide off and look beneath. The idiot who had bought it didn't seem to realize what the purpose was for serial numbers. They are a unique series of numbers that belong to each and every gun. He, in his wis-dumb, had deeply scratched his initials where it couldn't be seen when assembled, on the barrel, the frame on the inside where the dust cover slides, and the underside of the slide itself. I put it back together, and returned it to the girl behind the counter. I told her that I'd give the guy $50 for it. Someone else bought it sometime later, and I'm pretty sure that they had a surprise coming the first time they field stripped it - and I'll bet they were none too happy.

All in all, I'm happy with the 24/7 pro C DS 45. It will be a welcome addition to my collection. I'm quite certain that it will be on my person whenever I feel I want a bit more of a gun on me.

·
Administrator
18,273 Posts
Re: Report: 24/7 Pro C DS 45

Congratualtions! Hope your magazine issue will be resolved soon!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes, I want one of these in 45 acp, but will not buy until I know for sure (this time) that they have resolved the magazine issue. I had the PT 145 Millenium Pro and had the same issues with feeding. In the two 10-round mags supplied, when 10 rounds were loaded, the first round always wanted to nose-dive; if loading only 9, it would always feed ok.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Oh nice! i believe the 24/7 45c was just released not to long ago..Hope the problems with your 10 round mag get fixed

·
Registered
1 Posts
i am looking for a holster for my 24/7 .45, where did you get yours, was it local or on line? i have had no luck on line. please help. i would prefer the leather one.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Damn! I thought my initial 24/7 range report was detailed.... I salute you sir!

·
Registered
174 Posts
have you been able to compare it to a 4" barreled 24/7, i would really love the comfort the 3" barrel would offer, but when i shoot my millenium my pattern opens up considerably, i think it is the shorter grip not the shorter barrel, i wear a size 18 ring and can't even get my last finger on the millenium grip, i'd love to try the full length grip w/ the 3" barrel.

·
Super Moderator
21,792 Posts
When I use the 12 shot mag that is longer my patterns tighten up considerably. Although I am happy with the shorter mag and the patterns for a small gun.

I had my mag release one time it was do to rapid fire and I felt myself hit the mag release. other then that I love this gun and feel it will be a great carry gun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts