Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After talking to Taurus about not being able to lock the slide open without a mag inserted (with a mag in it's easy to lock open) they are sending a new latch. My question is, is this something I can do myself having only field stripped it. should I find someone to do it or send it to Taurus, it's about $20.00 to send it Fed ex and no charge for the part.Thanks for any advice.
Sorry I forgot to say it's a PT 111 G2

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Which Taurus firearm are we dealing with????

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
AHH, the slide should NOT lock open without a magazine in place unless you push up on the Slide Catch/Lock.
are you doing that?
the slide catch/ lock is engaged by the magazine follower as it raises to the top completely when the magazine is empty.
just a FYI in case you were not aware.

Reactions: muddcatt54

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
olfarhors, yes I am pushing up on the slide lock and keeping it up while slowly releasing the slide. as long as I keep holding the slide lock up with my thumb the slide stays open. As soon as I remove my thumb about 95% of the time the slide will slam shut, in that 5% of the time it does stay open if I set it down it will slam shut.

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
olfarhors, yes I am pushing up on the slide lock and keeping it up while slowly releasing the slide. as long as I keep holding the slide lock up with my thumb the slide stays open. As soon as I remove my thumb about 95% of the time the slide will slam shut, in that 5% of the time it does stay open if I set it down it will slam shut.

have you checked the slide lock cut out in the slide ?
could be its not square or deep enough?
the first TCP that I bought the first 2 that the clerk showed me would do this and after looking closely the cut out was crap!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
olfarhors, if I file on the slide cutout (which there isn't much of one) will that void my warranty. Like you said the cutout is really shallow.

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
olfarhors, if I file on the slide cutout (which there isn't much of one) will that void my warranty. Like you said the cutout is really shallow.
well heck who knows?
taurus can and has been pretty picky about owners doing much of anything with the guns.
I guess it depends on how much they realize, how the repair/attempted repair looks and so forth.
Honestly I guess its about if you want to wait on shipping it, them fixing it and shipping it back ,as well as any charge for shipping you may have to eat, etc-etc-etc.
the 20 bucks you mention for shipping is extremely, extremely low for shipping firearm back as they must go Via next day air by Fed -X or UPS ?
to be completely safe then you might just want to ship to them?
BUT then again they DID sent you the new catch to install, and to properly install it for function it might just require that the latch cut out be adjusted?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts