Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally! New sights!
I have complained about the Heinie Straight Eight sights since I bought my PT 745.
There are after market replacement sights for the 745, but most are costly in my opinion. I just didn't want to spend $75 or more for new sights.
I called Taurus customer service and ordered the replacement sights for the Heinie sights. They say it's three dots but really you leave the front sights on and just replace the rear with a two dot sight.
The sights cost a grand total of $18.75 including shipping. I think the shipping cost was about the same as the sight. So If anyone lives close to Taurus they can get them for about half that.
Anyway all it takes is a small allen wrench (don't know the size). Take the screw out and slide the old sight to the right as looking from the rear. No forcing was necessary. Same for installing it. It slipped right in. No play. Perfect fit.
I imagine this will apply to the other Taurus Mill Pro's. Although the sales slip indicated it was for a Taurus 1911. the part numbers are, SCREW: 26025221
REAR SIGHT: 26027399
The screw is included with the sight although the old one will fit. Never hurts to have an extra.
I'll give a range report this week as I need to enter my entry for the Jan. Shootout. I hope they give me an edge. There are some real lead chunkers competing this time.
Pictures are included.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I like! Especially for less than $19 bucks. If I shoot the fiber optic rods out of my firesight again, I might just go this route. Thanks for the heads up, BBG.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Hey BBG,

Good deal. I also did the same thing, but haven't swapped out the sights yet.
Also, they supplied me with the exact same part numbers that they provided to you for my PT609 9mm Taurus.
Looking forward to hearing how the 3 dot setup worked out for you at the range.

Rob

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'm really interested in hearing how this two-dot rear sight does at the range. It would seem that if it has the same dimensions as the Straight 8 rear sight, and you don't replace the front sight, the the POA to POI comparison would be the same. Just lining up three dots instead of stacking two dots. My PT-145 (with Straight 8's) tends to shoot a little low (it's been tested from a rest). I've been looking at the Wilson Combat 3-Dot sights - about $35 at Midway. Now this Taurus 2-Dot replacement sight looks interesting as well. But I hate to buy either of them until someone reports back here what the impact is on the POA to POI - up, down, or the same. Anyone?

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Thanks for the post and especially with the pictures!!!:)

·
Registered
80 Posts
BBGun - I have been interested in doing this as well for my PT-745 and your post is perfect timing. Many thanks for the info !

Reactions: BBGun

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Anyway all it takes is a small allen wrench (don't know the size).
I believe that your sights take the same screws as the MilPro dovetail series.

If that is correct, then the REAR sight takes a 2mm Allen/Hex wrench and the FRONT sight takes a 1.5mm Allen/Hex wrench.
One bit of advice - especially for the 1.5mm wrench - get a good quality set such that the wrench will not slip and round itself or the screw.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I'm really interested in hearing how this two-dot rear sight does at the range. It would seem that if it has the same dimensions as the Straight 8 rear sight, and you don't replace the front sight, the the POA to POI comparison would be the same. Just lining up three dots instead of stacking two dots. My PT-145 (with Straight 8's) tends to shoot a little low (it's been tested from a rest). I've been looking at the Wilson Combat 3-Dot sights - about $35 at Midway. Now this Taurus 2-Dot replacement sight looks interesting as well. But I hate to buy either of them until someone reports back here what the impact is on the POA to POI - up, down, or the same. Anyone?
The set screw on the rear sight is likely metric 2.0mm and the front 1.5mm; I would not buy Wilson Combat sights as I suspect the dovetail cut they are intended for is different. I also suspect that all the Taurus Heinie sight dovetails are the same. Get the Taurus sights or those designed for a Taurus such as Williams Fire Sights which are MUCH MUCH brighter and easier to see than regular painted 3 dots.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
The set screw on the rear sight is likely metric 2.0mm and the front 1.5mm; I would not buy Wilson Combat sights as I suspect the dovetail cut they are intended for is different. I also suspect that all the Taurus Heinie sight dovetails are the same. Get the Taurus sights or those designed for a Taurus such as Williams Fire Sights which are MUCH MUCH brighter and easier to see than regular painted 3 dots.
I've got a Wilson Combat front sight, and although it's made for a 1911, the dovetail is the same size. Because the top of the slide on a 1911 is rounded the sight has to sit up a bit higher to accommodate the arch, so on the flat topped milpros you'll get a .020" gap under the sight. As long as you allow for the gap in your overall height measurement they work fine. They don't use a set screw so some fitting may be required. Another member posted a thread about a year ago with pics of his PT145 with Wilson Combat's front and rear, so evidently the rear will fit too. I don't know about it's height, though, but I would assume you'd get the same .020" gap. I don't know for sure, though.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I saw a few guns I liked at budsgunshop but the ones I liked had the Heinie sights and I like the Novak ones better can you change them out on the PT 111, PT 840, and the 609TI?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I saw a few guns I liked at budsgunshop but the ones I liked had the Heinie sights and I like the Novak ones better can you change them out on the PT 111, PT 840, and the 609TI?
Hi Kaiged1,

If you want the std 3 dot sighting, I would suggest calling Taurus Customer Service. When I called to order my 2 dot rear sights to replace the rear single dot for my PT609B, they seemed to indicate that the sight would only work with the "blued" version and not the titanium, TI version. They didn't specifically state that, but it was sure inferred, from when they were looking it up for me. Also, I was told that the sights I ordered would work with the PT111.

Rob

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
There are MANY threads in the MilPro forum detailing the site options and procedures for swapping sights. I use Williams Fire Sights (as I said before) on my wife's PT111. It took about 5 minutes to change them out. The only challenge will be using the right allen head set screw drivers. The OEM set screws are metric and the WFS screws are SAE. I mention what they are in several other threads (can't recall of the top of my head).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts