Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted about this on the MilPro section, but I thought I'd bring it to the smithies.

I got a set of the William's dovetail fire sights for my PT111. The rear Heinie sight came off with a hair dryer and a few taps of a punch, and the new fire sight went on with no problems.

To my surprise, the front Heinie sight is secured with a different size allen bolt than the rear. I don't have a metric allen set and that bolt is larger than my smallest allen key, and smaller than my second smallest... so I assume it's metric.

Is that the case? And does anyone happen to know what size allen key I'll need? And why would they use a different size allen bolt on the front?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
High5,
The screws on the millpro pt111 heinie sights ARE metric. The back one is larger than the front. I got an allen wrench with my gun but it only fits the back sight. If I remember right, the front sight takes a 1.5mm wrench. I will check it out tonight and let you know tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
just take it in to your local auto parts or hardware store and ask them if they have a allen wrench set you can try before you buy......lol just kidding DO NOT DO THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!but you might leave it in the car and ask them if you can take a set out to the car to see if it has the right set.but do not let anyone see it.they might call the po pos.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rwcreigh said:
just take it in to your local auto parts or hardware store and ask them if they have a allen wrench set you can try before you buy......
I read that much and was saying to myself, "ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FREAKING MIND!"

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
reloader said:
Got home and checked the front screw and it takes a 1.5mm allen wrench.
Thanks for checking. I'll have to find a 1.5mm now. Out of all my bicycle tools, I have nothing that small.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've brought just the slide assembly into a local autoparts store, they didn't mind one bit. Was trying to find the matching allen.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Check at Lowes.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Replacing the front sight has been a very annoying process. and it's still not over.

now that I have a 1.5mm allen, I still can't get the little screw out. Heating it and soaking it with PB Blaster didn't work. So, I decided to drill it out with a dremel, and all that did was piss it off. I got part of my front sight off now. I may have to take this thing to a drill press and drill out the screw.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Put a cutting wheel on that dremel and just saw it in half horizontally, be very careful on the last little bit then stick a small screwdriver under it and pry it up, giving you a little more room to cut the rest without worrying about cutting into your slide. Can angle your cuts to a V to make it easier when you get to the bottom.

That's what I did!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I Spoke with Williams Sales guy on the phone. He confirmed the Fire Sight (Fire-sight) allen wrench heads are American sized. The Front sight takes a .050 american allen wrench, however the math gods have blessed the rear sight because a metric 1.5mm will work just as well as its american sized counterpart.

·
Registered
61 Posts
They must have different suppliers for their set screws. I got a set for my 24/7 C 45 and the front blade screw was a 1.3mm and the rear was different than that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts