Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ll probably be inheriting a model 65…..my father( 83 yrs old, 140 lbs) called last night from Charlotte to tell me he had received his concealed carry card (didn’t know he had applied for one!) and to celebrate had just purchased a stainless model 65 so he could “scare off the bad guys”. I don’t have a problem with his logic, just with his choice of weapon. I’m a bit concerned over his selection, thinking maybe a smaller more manageable caliber would serve him better. Logic says, yea, you can shoot 38 specials instead of the hotter 357, but if that’s the case, why not just buy a 38 special? I think he has way more gun then he needs or can handle. So I’m thinking I need to get him a replacement the next time he’s up to visit. He doesn’t really carry, just keeps it in the car, and wouldn’t shoot a gun enough to become totally familiar or proficient with it. My preference would be a revolver since it’s a bit more straight forward for the novice shooter than a semi. So any thoughts on the matter guys (and girls if any) on a good user friendly revolver?

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'd spend some time talking with your father before getting him a smaller gun. Since he took it upon himself to purchase a gun and get his permit it looks to me like he is aware of the dangers out there and did what was nessesary to protect himself. I don't think a .357 is to much of a gun, is there such a thing. I'd ask him about shooting and if he's shot any guns recently and what drew him to the .357.

I wouldn't suggest anything smaller then a .38 for self defense and the gun he has can surely shoot the milder load. Looks to me like he made a good choice. If anything I'd say spend some time with him and go to the range, spend your money for the range time and ammo and see for yourself how he does before thinking he's to old or weak for the .357. Old folks can still surprise their juniors. ;)

·
Registered
166 Posts
For a defensive revolver I would stick with a .357 and just shoot 38 specials out of it. My wife shoots a .357 all 107 lbs of her. She can handle hot .357 loads and 38 special. I wouldn't want here protecting herself with any smaller caliber revolver round then that.

For a user friendly revolver shoot a beefier revolver chose one that is made to shoot .357 and keep it loaded with a less hot round in the .38 special. I think your father chose well.

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
Ok, so he has about 17 years on me! But, I have a 357, which for practice I shoot 38's thru it. I have arthritis, mashed fingers, and a shoulder that gives me enough pain to take pain pills. But I found that the kick from the 38's was nothing to speak of, 357's were a little more, but nothing that could not be handled.

Honestly, I got the 357, because it was cheaper to buy than the 357 of the same size, and it held one more round. Oh and there are light loaded 357's on the market too.

Now admittedly, I also shoot a 45 Colt/410 Judge but if my hands and arms can handle it his will probably be fine.

Yeah, I agree you need to shoot with him and see how comfortable he is with the gun. NOT for him, but for you, so you can rest easy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts