1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dears all,
I'm new user from Italy.
sorry for my bad English.
I have a Taurus PT 1911 OPERATOR ( with rail) .45ACP after 800 shoots the safety grip dont work and the trigger dont have blocked from safety grip and if I ppull the trigger without touch the grip safaty the hammer go down and the shoot go.
I need to know where I can buy original taurus grip safety or a perfectly equivalent.
On midway or brownells are present more type but I dont know which model is compatible with the PT1911.Any of you experts can help me?

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
You definitely have a problem there if it fires without engaging the grip safety. I suggest you find a competent gunsmith, or contact Taurus for a way to return it for repairs. Good luck and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
24,546 Posts
Welcome to TA from Minnesota USA.

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
I doubt very much if it is the grip safety itself. I have never seen one "wear out" of fail like that, but I have seen the parts that the safety works on fail.

If for some rare reason it was the grip safety almost any after market model from Brownells, or Midway would work as a replacement.

Just as a wild guess it sounds like it is a misadjustment of the sear spring arm, That flat spring with the three leaves, that may be the culprit. They are easily readjusted and cheaply replaced.

Reactions: RichO and olfarhors

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks to all.
for leftcoastrebel, I proceed to check sear spring arm, and flat spring. I add on pictures of my grip safety. On picture with red arrows I want understand why some model of another grip safety on midway are different in place where I shows with arrows.

Cattura3.PNG different.png

Attachments

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
Have you field stripped the pistol and inspected the grip safety to see if the arm has worn or broken ?

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Sounds like your PT-1911 needs to go back to Taurus for repair. Something has changed, or is broken.

Any 1911 grip safety will work with the PT-1911, but they all must be fitted to the pistol. It is not hard to do but it is best if a good 1911 gunsmith does it.

·
22,061 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Yes, some grip safeties are different in the area you marked with the arrows. Some companies make minor changes to fit a grip safety, and some make bigger changes.

Any grip safety you buy will need some fitting. I've never done it, but the videos on youTube make it look pretty easy.

Why not send it back to Taurus, and let them fix it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
unfortunately in Italy Taurus is not present like in USA. On TaurusUsa web site I dont found online store for spare parts or email for order parts. Do you have info about shop for spare parts.
Local distributor in Italy is PRIMARMI. I send email for request info about process for order taurus parts ; but in Italy everything flows slow.

I attached picture of my grip safety grip safety.PNG

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
The arm on your grip safety does have an odd contour, looks like a piece may have broke off.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
Welcome to TA from Jacksonville, FL. I find it interesting how many international Taurus owners come here for help/suggestions.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Hello and welcome Brix. The grip safety simply prevents the trigger from being pulled back far enough to discharge a round. In a safe manner. I would remove the grip safety and inspect the sear spring, which consists of 3 fingers or springs. The left finger is the actual sear spring, the center is the disconnector spring, and the right finger is the grip safety spring. I would do the following:

Remove right side grip

Study the 3 pics in this link. You ill see in the first pic the "tab" on the grip safety which blocks the safety. As the grip safety is "gripped", it rotates up and allows the trigger to be pulled to the rear. Look at the next photo. From the right side you can see the grip safety tab blocking the trigger bow. Look at the third pic. The grip safety has been pushed in (gripped) and now the tab has rotated up far enough to allow the trigger to be pulled. Compare yours to these pics. How exactly does the grip safety work? - 1911Forum

Sometimes the only problem is that more tension needs to be added to the right finger. Here's what I would do next:

Cock the hammer and remove thumb safety. Slowly let hammer back down

Keep grip safety secured to pistol with rubber band or similar item

Remove main spring housing pin

Lower the mainspring housing (msh) enough to remove grip safety. The sear spring assembly will remain in place by the pressure from the mainspring housing

Visually inspect spring and where each finger is making contact. If all looks well,

Remove MSH and sear spring

The three finger of the sear spring all join at at the lower piece of metal of the spring. Near the lowest part, bend the right finger outward, towards the shooter if the pistol were being held to shoot. Before bending, make note of its position. It might take more bending than you think it will to actually change it's tension

When you are satisfied you have actually increased the tension, reinstall, reassemble, test.

Remember to leave the hammer down when reinstalling the MSH and to cock the hammer when reinstalling the thumb safety.

·
22,061 Posts
Not everything! I've been there mostly northern Italy, around the lakes, and one visit to Rome) and the Chianti was never too slow! :D

Thanks for including a picture! The tab that actually blocks the trigger looks a little different than most. Here's what most of them look like:

p_087867000_1.jpg

The tab that's sticking to the right blocks the trigger when the safety is NOT gripped. On most I've ever seen, it's straight. Yours doesn't look like it's straight. It doesn't look damaged, so that must just be how Taurus makes them. I'll wait for someone else who actually has a Taurus 1911 to come along and tell us if that's normal, and hopefully what other part might work.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
If he has to send it to Taurus, what would be the cost of doing that and the paperwork involved. ......I would look for a good gunsmith there in Italy and see what he can do for you.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Not everything! I've been there mostly northern Italy, around the lakes, and one visit to Rome) and the Chianti was never too slow! :D

Thanks for including a picture! The tab that actually blocks the trigger looks a little different than most. Here's what most of them look like:

View attachment 103046

The tab that's sticking to the right blocks the trigger when the safety is NOT gripped. On most I've ever seen, it's straight. Yours doesn't look like it's straight. It doesn't look damaged, so that must just be how Taurus makes them. I'll wait for someone else who actually has a Taurus 1911 to come along and tell us if that's normal, and hopefully what other part might work.

The grip safety arm on my PT 1911 doesn't look like OP's. The arm on OP's looks like there is very little material to block trigger bow.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
The arm on your grip safety does have an odd contour, looks like a piece may have broke off.
I didn't see this pic initially. Looks either screwed up or a weird angle. It looks chewed up as though someone pulled hard on the trigger several times without disengaging the gs. Would like to see a nice side shot. Believe I wrote a whole bunch of stuff for nothing. Oh well. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
35,739 Posts
If he has to send it to Taurus, what would be the cost of doing that and the paperwork involved. ......I would look for a good gunsmith there in Italy and see what he can do for you.

Welcome to the forum from Northern Illinois. My wife and I did a self guided tour from Milano to Como and then down to Roma. Definitely on my list to return to a beautiful country with gracious people, beautiful scenery and history and wonderful food!

I'm in the camp of seeking out a gunsmith skilled in working on the 1911 platform. The beauty of the design and it's longevity is that both the skill and the parts are not far from most parts of the world. Let us know how it works out please.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Plus 1 on the videos above.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you to all.
you are very kind and technically prepared. here are the new images
3.png 2.png trigger bar.png
no it seems there has been a problem of abrasion with the trigger