Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just recently purchased a 1998 Taurus 66 SS 357. I got it at a very good price but it has rust stains and maybe light pits on the cylinder. I have tried #0000 steel,wool,to no avail. Any ideas what wouldn't remove them? It's a great shooting, mechanically sound gun. It's just these spots on it. Thanks

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
I would try soaking the affected area with whatever CLP or penetrating oil that you have for at least a couple hours and then see if you can rub the rust stains out with the steel wool. As for pitting, there isn't much that will help with that, but keeping a light coat of CLP or silicone on the surface should help minimize any further rusting.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 7.0 LTE using Tapatalk

Reactions: Cariwine

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Andy, I just saw a wonderful video on removing rust from a gun on YouTube. The only thing you use is a copper penny and light oil... I don't know how to download the link, but you can look it up. Cleaning a gun with a copper penny...hope it helps!

Reactions: muddcatt54

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Since it is stainless, you can use a fine sandpaper, just try to go in the same direction over the whole thing. After that, steel wool to finish it off.

Pitting is permanent unless you sand it out, unless it really bothers you, I'd just clean it up as best you can and shoot it.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Phosphoric acid will eat the iron deposit but will not harm stainless. Then buff it up with ultrafine scotch bright pad. Do not use steel wool contain carbon/iron as it will embed iron particals in the stainless and cause discoloration. Stainless steel wool is available but $$$.Never use any thing that contains or has been used on iron/carbon steel on stainless.

Reactions: PreacherRodgers

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I use Kroil and #0000 on blued guns. Never tried it on ss.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Andy, I just saw a wonderful video on removing rust from a gun on YouTube. The only thing you use is a copper penny and light oil... I don't know how to download the link, but you can look it up. Cleaning a gun with a copper penny...hope it helps!
Thought of the same thing. Here is one:

Reactions: switchbow
1 - 9 of 9 Posts