Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought 100 rounds of Remington U.M.C. Handgun (not Target) L357M12 125 grain semi JHP and I think I'm having buyers remorse... Can anyone let me know whether this ammo is decent or not? I generally carry Federal C357B 125 gr. JHP's in my 627. Ballistics-wise I know they are comparable, but why do I feel like I bought 100 rounds of crap? There is very little discussion of U.M.C. when I googled it, so I thought I'd pose the question here. Thanks!:)

·
Administrator
40,857 Posts
Bought the very same thing awhile back. Shot about half of it. No problems here. I like the stuff. Certainly does some nasty things to water filled milk jugs! :thumb:

What is it that makes you think there might be something wrong with it?

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Hey asque2000, your right you did buy crap...so you best let me take it off your hands so the nightmares stop.

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well A. It was super cheap $49.00 for the 100. B. when trying to find reviews some folks said the primers in U.M.C. ammo are sub par. And C. I've seen a few recalls from remington ammo (but admittedly it was because they put .357s in .38 sp boxes).

I guess ammo is ammo?

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I've bought the same ammo in .9mm and .38 Special and have always been pleased with the ammunition.

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
I bought a box of those thursday and mine has the lot# for recall but i'm gonna keep them cause my .357 is what i got them for . If all i do is target practice with them then thats fine . I just wanted some ammo that would work for me and that was all available at the time .

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Well A. It was super cheap $49.00 for the 100. B. when trying to find reviews some folks said the primers in U.M.C. ammo are sub par. And C. I've seen a few recalls from remington ammo (but admittedly it was because they put .357s in .38 sp boxes). I guess ammo is ammo?
A. Price is right. B. Almost always going to get some mixed reviews. C. Look at your ammo carefully but you have a .357 so? D. I notice that you have not listed a specific problem that you have experienced, so what's the problem...why having buyers remorse...just go out and enjoy yourself...like you said, the ammo is inexpensive so you are not out that much if it turns out that you don't like it.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
I have a lot of the UMC ammo in .38 sp, 357 mag and .45acp as well as .380. Seems to have good power, functions over all better than most Winchester and the powder is about equal to the Winchester as far as being dirty.

I have quite a bit of it in range and defensive rounds, never had a misfire with it. The ballistics on the Remington UMC are identical to the Regular Remington in the Green and Yellow in the same weight and configured cartridges and considerably less money.

I do prefer the Federal Champion just a little over the UMC as it is a little less money and I think it burns cleaner, as to accuracy, I like them both, but since Walmart today was out of both, I didn't get any.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
In 6 years of being active on gun forums, I think all I have ever heard anyone say negative on UMC is they are a little dirty, but there are plenty of others just as dirty or more so than UMC. I still think I prefer them over most European and Asian ammo.

·
Registered
209 Posts
The short answer: I've shot a lot of this ammo and for the price it's hard to beat. It's also given me a lot of re-loadable brass over the years.

Upsides: In the Rugers it ran 1400-1450fps in a 4" GP100 I chrono'd several years back. My Colts ran about 75-100fps slower. Either way, the ammo was fairly accurate and gave a good punch in the hand so you knew you were firing something powerful. I've not run into problems with hard primers with my revolvers. It seems to be no dirtier than WWB and S&B .357M I've shot.

Downsides: Bought a box a couple years back and when I dumped the ammo out on a mat to inspect it, I noticed that 4 out of 5 rounds had little to no crimp. We inspected the remaining boxes of the same lot# and noticed the same, so we returned all of it back to the vendor. Haven't run into the same problem since. Bad lots of ammo happen with every manufacturer from time to time.

Potential problem: .357M needs to be crimped fully into the cannelure for safety reasons. Under heavy recoil, the bullets could fall out of the case and lock up the revolver. Less likely but an even worse scenario, the bullets could fall deeper into the case, driving pressures beyond a safe range. The variability of the crimps also vary the working pressure of the cartridge, making for a very inaccurate box of ammo.

Lesson confirmed: Whenever buying factory ammo, I inspect the ammo before loading it into one of my firearms. Been doing it since my smallbore 4-H days and see no reason to stop.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts