Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Academy has this ammo for $29.95/100. Its 380 mc. Looks like regular fmj, but its not on the Remington website.
I remember Shur Shot shotgun shells years ago. Anyone have any problems with it?

·
Registered
32,083 Posts
I've shot a ton of Shurshot shotgun shells and never had any problem. I only recently noticed the Shurshot brass cartridges. In any event, I would not have a concern about them. I'm just a little surprised they would have another second line along with the UMC.

·
Registered
36,588 Posts
Academy has this ammo for $29.95/100. Its 380 mc. Looks like regular fmj, but its not on the Remington website.
I remember Shur Shot shotgun shells years ago. Anyone have any problems with it?
Not familiar with it nor have i seen any of it!
could it possibly be a copper plated projectile?
which would make it less expensive and different than UMC?
a few companies are now going that route to reduce prices , most people never know the difference.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I don't think its copper plated- it looks like regular fmj. The id number is S380AB. The head stamp has the R.P and 380 auto on it.

It was the cheapest thing out there today besides steel cased Tula. I don't want any more of that.
I'll be shooting this week- so I will know how it shoots and cycles in my gun.

·
Registered
36,588 Posts
Copper plated will look exactly like a FMJ usually.
there is a small statement on all the boxes that i have seen of other copper plated ammo that states "copper plated".
the brass is normally the same as regular FMJ/ RN loadings.
take a knife and scrap a bit of the projectile and see if you see lead?
I am just guessing as i have not seen any of the sure shot.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yep olfarhors- I scratched one and it looks silver color underneath- not copper. So its copper plated?

I didn't know the difference.Guess that target wont know either-

·
Registered
36,588 Posts
Yep olfarhors- I scratched one and it looks silver color underneath- not copper. So its copper plated?

I didn't know the difference.Guess that target wont know either-
OK , a wild guess on my part, but now we know!
thats the only thing that made any sense for Remington to introduce a new economy line to compete against the UMC.
there is more and more of this stuff showing up as its about as cheap to produce as lead projectiles and it doesn't lead the barrel and looks like FMJ so most folks never pay it any attention.
I use copper plated projectiles in virtually all my reloads, works great.
MY 38 Super loads are pushing 1200 FPS and they shoot like a dream, nothing wrong with the plated stuff.
thanks for the info.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
I just ran up to Academy here in Houston to see if they had it. Sure did. It's FMJ, not plated. Beats Walmart by $5.00 / 100. Labeled "95 gr MC" with a R-P head stamp.

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
If its that much cheaper and good, I'll look for it in .45 acp if they have it.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
The folks that work at the range I go to were saying that there is ammo out today that have some steel in the bullets, and that they are copper coated. These type of bullets will ricochet. The range is now checking people's ammo to make sure that they do not have any steel in the bullets. They are looking for certain brands, and also, if unsure of the brand, they will run a magnet over the bullet to see if there is steel in it.

Have any of you heard of this issue?

Rob

·
Registered
32,083 Posts
Most steel core penetrating bullets (armor piercing) are rifle bullets, usually surplus whether vintage or new and some European caliber handguns may also have some steel cored bullets. I would not expect any other than some 5.56 and .308 in any American made ammo.

·
Registered
32,083 Posts
It says it is MC which makes me think it has an actual jacket, not made of solid copper, but a lesser expensive metal than copper that is just copper plated.

Most likely it is not a FMJ (full metal jacket) or TMJ (total metal jacket that fully covers the bottom of the lead bullet. I suspect if you were to salvage a spent bullet and look at the bottom of it, you could see the lead core.

·
Registered
36,588 Posts
In my experience the copper plated projectiles will have a much thinner , lighter covering of the copper than a FMJ or TMJ, a simple knife ran across the ourside of a copper plated bullet will peel the coating off and show the swagged lead inside very easily, usually FMJ or TMJ thn coating (jacket ) is much thicker.
I don't see many if any steel cored projectiles round here?
and of course steel being much lighter than lead then it would be a longer projectile if the same weight as a conventional projectile, much like an all copper projectile.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
During the "break-in" period of my Taurus PT609, I used Remington, Shurshot, 115 gr 9 mm.
I had problems with this ammo initially.
My slide would not stay back after the last round was fired, and it also had a few FTE's.
But, when I tried other ammo though the gun, it worked fine.

I will say that after I shoot a few 100 rounds of other ammo, and then cleaned the gun, I went back to try using the remaining Shurshot rounds. They worked fine.

Rob

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Update: I went back to get more yesterday, and it was up to $36 /box of 100. Oh well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts