Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone with one, how's it doing? I've got a chance to get one for a reasonable price but I'm kinda hesitant with it's past bad press. This will be one of the gen 2s. Anyone having problems?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Anyone with one, how's it doing? I've got a chance to get one for a reasonable price but I'm kinda hesitant with it's past bad press. This will be one of the gen 2s. Anyone having problems?
I don't have one. I would like to have one. Pretty hard to come by in California.

Remington didn't bring them to SHOT and another industry show earlier this year. I spoke to one of the guys that works for them at the second show. He told me that they hadn't officially discontinued it but the writing was on the wall.

If you want one get it while you have the opportunity.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
812 Posts
I toyed with getting one....but when I watched the breakdown process, I decided to keep the Rubic's Cube I already have.

·
Registered
36,457 Posts
I don't have one. I would like to have one. Pretty hard to come by in California.

Remington didn't bring them to SHOT and another industry show earlier this year. I spoke to one of the guys that works for them at the second show. He told me that they hadn't officially discontinued it but the writing was on the wall.

If you want one get it while you have the opportunity.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk
Yep, you don't see many of them in stock around here and from what I hear they don't exactly fly off the shelves when they are in stock.
I guess all the bad press at first?

Reactions: CJS3

·
Super Moderator
13,880 Posts
Early reviews blasted the difficult takedown, and even more complex and easily screwed up reassembly, of the R-51.

Between Remington's disastrous first release of their little pistol, and what Remington did to Marlin rifles (condescendingly called "Remlins" by Marlin aficionados) when they took over that company, the only new Remington I would even consider buying (outside of their shotguns) would have a "700" in its model number. Add to that morrcarr67's post above, and even though they look really cool - they remind me of the hand phasers from the original Star Trek TV series - I, personally, wouldn't own one.

As always, the preceding is my personal opinion, and I'm not what you would call an expert. YMMV.

·
Administrator
17,914 Posts
IMHO, save your money and pass.

There are so many other better designed firearms out there, I can't see this one as even being a choice.

I had high hopes for them when they first came out, as I found the external design appealing, but with the current track record, no.

Reactions: TrucksNCoffee

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
IMHO, save your money and pass.

There are so many other better designed firearms out there, I can't see this one as even being a choice.

I had high hopes for them when they first came out, as I found the external design appealing, but with the current track record, no.
Well, I guess that would depend on what the gun is for. For me, I like strange and unusual designs; kind of like myself. The Pedersen locking system fits that bill for me. I want one for the sake of having a gun with this design. It would never be carried and would probably only be shot once or twice a year just for fun.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I have one and it is a gen 2. I have not had ANY problems with it. It is fun to shoot and plenty accurate. The take down is a little unusual, but anyone of normal gun handling ability can deal with it. If you are happy with the price and like it, I would say go for it.

·
22,495 Posts
Remington is proving that they learned every lesson from the British Motorcycle Industry, except that it was a how NOT to.

That company is in sad shape. If you want it as a curiosity, because of the unusual design, that's a reason that could make some sense to me. Other than that, fuhgedaboutit.

Reactions: morrcarr67

·
Registered
522 Posts
Remington is proving that they learned every lesson from the British Motorcycle Industry, except that it was a how NOT to.

That company is in sad shape. If you want it as a curiosity, because of the unusual design, that's a reason that could make some sense to me. Other than that, fuhgedaboutit.
I would agree. I have a BNIB Gen 2 R51, simply because it is so unique. I'll likely never even fire it.

·
Premium Member
11,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well when you snooze you looze. I can still get one, just at a higher price. I was looking for a single stack CCW piece and I may go with my backup, a G2S.

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
After reading the posts in this thread it is obvious that many of us feel Remington makes a pretty lousy handgun. May I suggest that the folks that believe this might wanna take one of Remington's 1911s for a ride.

I have a stainless Remington R1 Enhanced 1911 in .45 acp. It is a fine gun. As far as fit and finish it is maybe even a notch above Springfield. I say this not because of something I've read on the internet but because I also own a stainless Springfield Range Officer Target in .45 acp and often shoot it side by side with my Remington. As far as accuracy the Remington is as good as any 1911 that I own.

The R51 may not be a gun that everybody wants but don't judge all Remington handguns by the results of just one.

Don

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Super Moderator
36,396 Posts
^^ Yep...that's what people do with Taurus! ;)

Reactions: loudviking

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
After reading the posts in this thread it is obvious that many of us feel Remington makes a pretty lousy handgun. May I suggest that the folks that believe this might wanna take one of Remington's 1911s for a ride.

I have a stainless Remington R1 Enhanced 1911 in .45 acp. It is a fine gun. As far as fit and finish it is maybe even a notch above Springfield. I say this not because of something I've read on the internet but because I also own a stainless Springfield Range Officer Target in .45 acp and often shoot it side by side with my Remington. As far as accuracy the Remington is as good as any 1911 that I own.

The R51 may not be a gun that everybody wants but don't judge all Remington handguns by the results of just one.

Don
I would agree with the 1911 R1 being a fit and finish fine selection as is mine.

It's funny this thread and both of these pistols are being discussed because my 1911 R1 was a replacement for my early R51 that never worked and I never shot.

After sending my R51 back to Remington because the slide would get stuck while racking it, after over a year I think it was, I took them up on their new offer of having them send me an R1 1911 instead of waiting any longer for the R51 Gen2.

I really liked the feel and the look of the R51 and would like to finally shoot one at some point! :)

Which reminds me, I have both of the magazines still from the R51. I'll entertain offers for them both (in a PM) if anyone is interested in having a couple more. I did debur the magazine lips as they were so raw edged that they would keep the rounds from moving well. If this PM/magazine thing violates any rule, admins feel free to remove.

·
22,495 Posts
I've heard reasonably good reports about their 1911s. These days, if you can't build a decent 1911 with all the manufacturing expertise floating around on the 1911, you should give up and make Prius bumpers.

There have been issues with their homegrown handgun designs. Read between the lines here, and you'll see it's common knowledge. https://www.handgunsmag.com/editorial/review-remington-rm380/137786

They bought the design of the RM380 from Rorbaugh and tweaked it a little. And Marlin fans have been divided on quality since Remington bought the company.

And then there are the Model 700 trigger issues. Remington seems to have had some issues of late. I don't think I'd say pretty lousy handgun, but I would say I don't trust them the way I trust some of the other names in the business that are known for quality.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Super Moderator
36,396 Posts
I would agree with the 1911 R1 being a fit and finish fine selection as is mine.

It's funny this thread and both of these pistols are being discussed because my 1911 R1 was a replacement for my early R51 that never worked and I never shot.

After sending my R51 back to Remington because the slide would get stuck while racking it, after over a year I think it was, I took them up on their new offer of having them send me an R1 1911 instead of waiting any longer for the R51 Gen2.

I really liked the feel and the look of the R51 and would like to finally shoot one at some point! :)

Which reminds me, I have both of the magazines still from the R51. I'll entertain offers for them both (in a PM) if anyone is interested in having a couple more. I did debur the magazine lips as they were so raw edged that they would keep the rounds from moving well. If this PM/magazine thing violates any rule, admins feel free to remove.
Post them in the Classifieds if you wish to sell them and put a price on them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts