Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, local store finally stopped limiting sales of .45 acp to those going to the range. Looking to purchase .45 acp. Choices: Winchester "Winclean" 185 gr or Remington UMC target 230 gr. For those who have used both/ either, which is better? Cleaner?

Thanks to all who respond!!

· Registered
38,457 Posts
well I will assume that this is for target practice?
and so the Win clean is likely cleaner (and more expensive), but really either will likely work fine, the 1911 is basically set up to run on 230 FMJ but mine run on everything from 175 -230 just fine.
its really a matter of how much it cost and whether you fancy a green box or a white box.
the gun is color blind and i doubt can tell the difference in either.

· Registered
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Target pratice and home defense.

· Super Moderator
42,113 Posts
Probably buy the least expensive one for target work. When I got my PT 1911 SS I bought a small case of Remington UMC in 230 grain and am still reloading those cases three years later.

· Registered
38,457 Posts
yea, its rare that one is going to use the same ammo for target/ range and self protection.!
you will want to shoot a bit of your protection rounds to make sure they function perfectly at the range but they will be expensive for target use,and the FMj is not ideal for self protection in my opinion.
I would look at one of the new modern 45 acp rounds for personal protection.
Speer gold dot, Hornady XTP, FTX, or Federal hydra shok, gaurd dog, etc.
some people say that the 45 acp in FMJ is fine as protection round but believe me the penetration of the big slow round is much under rated, there is collateral damage to be considered when using these.

Reactions: mingaa

· Registered
18,268 Posts
I buy Winchester .45 in 230gr.
My pistols seem to handle that bullet better and accuracy goes up.
I should mention that I reload...........I use a 230gr bullet, Win brass and W231 powder and Win primers.
I guess you could say I am a Winchester fan. It's nothing fancy or exotic but it always works and is consistent.

This is just my opinion of course based on the fact that I am all-knowing and all-seeing. :wave:

· Registered
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea, its rare that one is going to use the same ammo for target/ range and self protection.!
you will want to shoot a bit of your protection rounds to make sure they function perfectly at the range but they will be expensive for target use,and the FMj is not ideal for self protection in my opinion.
I would look at one of the new modern 45 acp rounds for personal protection.
Speer gold dot, Hornady XTP, FTX, or Federal hydra shok, gaurd dog, etc.
some people say that the 45 acp in FMJ is fine as protection round but believe me the penetration of the big slow round is much under rated, there is collateral damage to be considered when using these.
Actually, I do have Hornady 185 gr FTX hollow for home defense, but dang they are pricey for target work!

· Registered
168 Posts
I have to agree with the above poster about round nose bullets in 45 being a bad choice for self defense. They tend to go through the person you shoot to anyone or anything behind it. Hence the reason I would recommend some hollow point (Federal HST 230gr in my case) for self defense then load up on any target ammo that shoots about the same. I personally buy the cheap federals at wallyworld at around $33 a 100 when I can get them.

Used to be $29.97 but now they have gone up...

33,640 Posts
WinClean is good ammo, but there might be some minor problems one might encounter.

Some on the Internet have said that the WinClean works well most of the time. There were some cases of primers being a problem for striker fired pistols. Some of this has to do with, usually, the newer primers being lead stefynate free, the newer leadless primers need a healthy whack to set them off. Pistols with hammers seem to have more energy in their springs and hammer.

On the other hand there is this. www.rnettles.com/Primers.pdf

For personal use the Remington and UMC have worked well for my Ruger P97.

For personal defense you'll want a premium hollowpoint of some kind that works reliably in your pistol.

Winchester makes the USA practice rounds. These are also to be included for practice consideration.
Q4170 Full Metal Jacket 45 Automatic 230
USA45A Full Metal Jacket 45 Automatic 185
USA45AVP Full Metal Jacket 45 Automatic 230
WC451 Super-X 45 Automatic 185
WC452
www.winchester.com

For a cheap but reliable self defense round Winchester has the USA brand in a quality JHP.
Product Symbol: USA45JHP

Description:

•Jacketed Hollow Point
•Consistent Accuracy
•High Energy Deposit

Suggested Use:

Features:
Sure Functioning, Optimum Energy Deposit, Accurate, Controlled Recoil

Cartridge: 45 AutomaticBullet Weight: 230Muzzle Velocity: 880Ballistic Co-efficient: 0.166Barrel Length: Rounds Per Box: 50Rounds Per Case: 500

Remington has this. From www.brownells.com.

105-201-727WB
Rem Ammo 23696 UMC Pistol 45 Auto 230gr JHP 50bx
Mfr Part: REML45AP7

$29.39

Back Order

Out of Stock

Cartridge: 45 Auto (ACP)

Application: Target, Training

Brand Style: UMC

Bullet Style: Jacketed Hollow Point (JHP)

Bullet Weight (Grains): 230, ...

click details to view more....

Details
Q&A
Reviews (0)

105-201-728WB
Rem Ammo 23689 45 Auto 230gr JHP
Mfr Part: REML45AP7B

While normally I would go with a more expensive premium ammo for my guns these rounds can be had with 50 rounds per box normally as opposed to 20-25 rounds per box. Since the country is seeing hard times, people need to save as much as possible without sacrificing quality for defense, these are recommended.

· Registered
30,024 Posts
The .38 special was designed around and is most accurate with 158 grain bullets.

By the same token, the venerable .45 ACP around the 230 grainer.

I prefer 230 grain ammo regardless of the brand.
:r_c:

· Registered
38,457 Posts
The .38 special was designed around and is most accurate with 158 grain bullets.
By the same token, the venerable .45 ACP around the 230 grainer.
I prefer 230 grain ammo regardless of the brand.
:r_c:
Common misconception!
the 1911 and 45 ACP WAS designed around a 200 grain Ball ammunition.
IT was the Armies insistance that moved it to 230 grain ball.
OF course we ll Know that Govenrment is always right, just research Military Intelligence and that will explain a lot.-LOL
Lets see I believe they were the same group that decided to make changes in Stoners AR-15 after accepting it and thereby making a good old Jam A Matic in Nam?
although the 1911 & 45 do work wonderfully well with a 230 grain, -- as well as 175-185-200.

· Registered
38,457 Posts
Actually, I do have Hornady 185 gr FTX hollow for home defense, but dang they are pricey for target work!
Yes they are, as is really any modern factory hollow point.
I can't buy the FTX projectile but load the same projectile minus the flex tip the XTP in the 185 grain and it shoots wonderfully in all my 1911's.
The XTP is actually one of my carry round sin the short barreld 1911's thta i have, the projectile has just always worked well for me in that caliber.
Most of my full sized 45's carry the Speer 200 grain Gold Dot in them, another nice round in my opinion.

· Registered
38,457 Posts
I use Hornaday 45 Auto+P 230 gr. They call it law enforcement.
Normally "Law Enforcement" marked on a box generally only indicates that its packed 50 rounds per box, instead of 20-25, its cheaper in the 50 round boxes per round.
Normally has nothing to do with the round itself as its the same ammo that they pack in 20/25 round packs.
FYI

· Registered
16,335 Posts
Given the current statement made by Remington about leaving NYS if the new laws are imposed, I'd go with Rems just to show support.
As far as each company's rounds, I buy the white box Winchesters when I can get them, if not I get the Rem UMC's. My biggest "mistake" was getting a 100 ct box of Rems Wallyworld had on the shelf for 33 bucks and I bought 2. When I got home I noticed the box was labelled JHP's, not FMJ's. They shoot remarkably well out of my PT1911.

Reactions: olfarhors

· Registered
38,457 Posts
Yea its amazing to me how soem people see things!
for instance its bad for the economy to cut out a zillion Govenrment jobs doing things like secretarial work, loading trucks, watching screens as people walk through scanners, but its not bad on the economy to try to shut down the gun industry that provides mega bucks and mega jobs throughout most of America.
OF Course the economy isn't the main problem with gun bans but better believe it has a tremedous impact on dollars revolved through our system.
How many places/people do you know /see that work in gun shops, shooting ranges, give self defense classes, hunt?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.