Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still under self imposed WuFlu quarantine and in need of rescue guns to keep me occupied, this 742 is now my latest Fluff & Buff.

I've always admired the looks of Remington firearms and this 742, chambered in .30/06 Springfield, was a real beauty when new. 'BY' barrel markings have me thinking the build date was back in 2004.

At first it was exported to the European market. A Euro gun Bubba shot it a few times, took it apart for a cleaning at some point(loosing a few small parts in the process) causing it to become a 'Jam-O-Matic'. Eventually Simpson LTD imported it back to the U.S.A., ending up in my hands.
Wood Rectangle Flooring Hardwood Composite material

When they don't work right, guns like this end up being treated like a piece of cordwood.
Fixture Wood Trigger Rectangle Gun accessory

Moisture got between the heel plate and stock, lifting both wood and finish.
Wood String instrument String instrument accessory String instrument Wood stain

The bolt's dust cover missing.
Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Wood

The bead on the front sight was busted off.
Wood Rectangle Beige Metal Font

What have I gotten myself into?

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,537 Posts
Truly a wonder what people put a fine firearm through. However, from previous posts I know you are up to the challenge. At the end a new beginning and a Phoenix will rise from the ashes.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Truly a wonder what people put a fine firearm through. However, from previous posts I know you are up to the challenge. At the end a new beginning and a Phoenix will rise from the ashes.
Hunting years ago on a ridge in Pa. a hunter shot his deer,it went down the ridge and he lost his footing while carrying a Browning medallion high gloss in 7mm-08,rife went flip flopping banging every rock in site for about 100 feet .I assisted him recovering rifle and deer .Rifle was destroyed and deer was super tenderized ! I stopped hunting the ridge that year and stayed in the flatlands .

·
Registered
37,206 Posts
The Remmy 742 was a very nice looking gun, especially the BDL model.
I was in the gun business when they were popular and with all due respect most everyone called them the Jam-A Matic.
the things just would not run reliabally unless spotless clean and well lubricated.
The ever popular ( like will anything else kill a Deer) 30-06 with the 220 grain Remington core lokt (had to be the round tip so it would shoot through the woods and bounce off trees!) was the name of the game for hunters here!--LOL
they became such a problem with hunters that many went to the 740?? the pump action in the same type weapon.
the strangest weapon that we ever got in to the gun shop was a Remington 742 that was labeled as a 30-06, we sold the weapon only for it to be returned a few days later with a customer mad as hell!
seems the weapon was actually chambered in 270!--Like WOW!
when he tried to shoot the 30-06 ammo it would not chamber.
gave the customer back his money and apologized, contacted Remmy and they asked us to hold on to the gun, the very next morning the FED-X guy was waiting on us to open to pick it up!
Remmy send us a case of 30-06 ammo for the problem and refunded our money for the weapon.
only factory gun i have ever heard of like this.
the later model 7400 was a better operator.

Reactions: Lomax

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool. Thanks for the proper date. Mine appears to be lacking bolt latch detent pins and spring.
Tool Font Musical instrument accessory Microphone Hand tool

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the finished photos!

Reactions: Lomax

·
Premium Member
5,999 Posts
What have you gotten yourself in to? It seems you've come down with a case of riflitis, which is a more defined case of gunitis. It isn't too much of a health concern, but it may cause your wallet to shrink.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I searched Simpson's online inventory for a 742, I initially settled on a nice looking gun until I had it in hand. It looked like someone tried to buzz off the basket weaving with a D/A sander. I looked over three more 742's and chose the least beat up one. I've parts on order and found an owners manual online. We'll see what happens.

Reactions: jwc007

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was in the gun business when they were popular and with all due respect most everyone called them the Jam-A Matic.
the things just would not run reliabally unless spotless clean and well lubricated.
The ever popular ( like will anything else kill a Deer) 30-06 with the 220 grain Remington core lokt (had to be the round tip so it would shoot through the woods and bounce off trees!) was the name of the game for hunters here!--LOL
they became such a problem with hunters that many went to the 740?? the pump action in the same type weapon.
the strangest weapon that we ever got in to the gun shop was a Remington 742 that was labeled as a 30-06, we sold the weapon only for it to be returned a few days later with a customer mad as hell!
gave the customer back his money and apologized, contacted Remmy and they asked us to hold on to the gun, the very next morning the FED-X guy was waiting on us to open to pick it up!
Remmy send us a case of 30-06 ammo for the problem and refunded our money for the weapon.
The Remington 742, introduced in 1959, was never meant to become a military firearm. It is a finely machined hunter's rifle made to tight tolerances. It also wasn't intended for continuous rapid fire as some would torture their AK or SKS.

So after bagging your game, it's so much easier to spray the gun down with some sort of Wonderlube and toss it back in the closet 'til next season. Although the rifle has takedown capability, it's a pain to remove the barrel for proper cleaning of the receiver and bore. Each of the half dozen used 742's I inspected at Simpson's were all filthy mongrels and I doubt anyone of them could fire off a four round mag w/o faltering. If the 742 were an ''Everyman's Gun'', it needs to be easier to tear down and clean. The 742 shooter's without Jam-O-Matic problems know how to properly disassemble, clean and lubricate their rifles. I may not get this rifle to run properly, but I'm hopeful I can bring it back to life.

·
Administrator
18,554 Posts
The Remington 742, introduced in 1959, was never meant to become a military firearm. It is a finely machined hunter's rifle made to tight tolerances. It also wasn't intended for continuous rapid fire as some would torture their AK or SKS.
Very True! Were I to hunt Deer with a semi-auto rifle, I would do it with my SKS at short ranges or my L1A1 FN FAL equipped with the requisite 5 round magazines.
Also, I've hunted Deer with my old Remington 1100, fitted with a Slug/Riot Barrel.
Not a fan of the Remington 742 here, but I do wish you the best of luck with your Remington 742 project.

That's quite a heavy Bullet for Deer. In my use of the .30/06, I've found the CCI/Speer 165 grain SPBT perfectly adequate for even the largest of Whitetails and all were clean kills.
Back in the mid 1980's, I took a nice Bull Elk with a 180 grain Federal Loading and dropped him where he stood. I've also cleanly taken Deer with a Custom 7x57mm Mauser loaded with CCI/Speer 145 grain Bullets in a handload. Now that said, I understand that some may need to shoot through brush, but lighter bullets will often get the job done.

Reactions: olfarhors and Lomax

·
Registered
37,206 Posts
That's quite a heavy Bullet for Deer. In my use of the .30/06, I've found the CCI/Speer 165 grain SPBT perfectly adequate for even the largest of Whitetails and all were clean kills.
Back in the mid 1980's, I took a nice Bull Elk with a 180 grain Federal Loading and dropped him where he stood. I've also cleanly taken Deer with a Custom 7x57mm Mauser loaded with CCI/Speer 145 grain Bullets in a handload. Now that said, I understand that some may need to shoot through brush, but lighter bullets will often get the job done.
No arguement here!
BUT!--this were good old boy hunters from georgy and you just couldn't tell them any different, completely down to using the spire point as opposed to the round nose (so they could shoot through the trees)
the other popular thing was a clippy thangs that was extended so they could hit the Deer as it ran through the woods and flung them round nose booletts through the trees--you know cause the round nose would let them not bounce off trees!
I used a 150 grain BT spire point from my 300 Win mag and caught hell from the 30-06 220 grainer guys--LOL

Hand Arm Facial expression Vertebrate World

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
The pump version is the model 760. I absolutely love mine!

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Very True! Were I to hunt Deer with a semi-auto rifle, I would do it with my SKS at short ranges or my L1A1 FN FAL equipped with the requisite 5 round magazines.
Also, I've hunted Deer with my old Remington 1100, fitted with a Slug/Riot Barrel.
Not a fan of the Remington 742 here, but I do wish you the best of luck with your Remington 742 project.

The 742 has been a decent departure from the other Fluff & Buffs I've had on my bench. It's been quite the challenge so far.

The SKS and FAL are among the easiest semiautos to field strip & maintain. These are firearms more in line with design features needed in an everyman's rifle. If my dog had thumbs, I think she could tear an FAL apart for cleaning.

Fieldstripping this rescue 742 required a solid mounted 5'' padded vice, a custom sized wrench, a heat gun and a lot more grunting than I like to do on my part.

This Remington probably won't be a favorite of mine. It's a quality made, interesting firearm. It just needs more effort than I like to expend for proper cleaning.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I'm waiting for parts to come in next Monday afternoon. Meanwhile I found a couple decent 742 links to study.

Time to work over the furniture.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The original finish was a Dupont clear finish marketed for bowling pins. Tough stuff, yet the finish has lifted in several places.
Wood Varnish Wood stain Shotgun Trigger

Wood String instrument String instrument accessory String instrument Wood stain

Reactions: DeltaBravoKS

·
Super Moderator
38,554 Posts
^^ hmmm...tough stuff means tough to remove?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
^^ hmmm...tough stuff means tough to remove?
Not hard to remove at all. I wanted to salvage the remaining finish because of its checkered panels. A light dusting with a detail sander and some 320 grit to level out the bumps.

Wood Kitchen utensil Wood stain Hardwood Varnish

Four coats of Tru Oil followed up with a 0000 wool & wax job.
Hand tool Wood Tool Tableware Kitchen utensil

This should work out nice.
Musical instrument Guitar String instrument Wood Musical instrument accessory

Musical instrument Wood Line Wood stain Gas

1 - 20 of 27 Posts