Registered
8,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this link on another forum.

http://fieldandstream.blogs.com/gunnut/2007/10/meet-the-r-15.html

An excerpt:

"October 17, 2007
Meet The R-15

And what, pray tell, is an R-15? Why bless your universally legal 5-round magazine, it's a black rifle made by Remington, except that it's not finished in black, but finished Advantage Max-1 HD camo. This all came about because a few months back, Remington was purchased by Cerberus, a management company that also owns Bushmaster, which is a leading producer of black rifles that are black."

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
ME TOO, ME TOO, ME TOO!!!

:fart: :puke:

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Or to put it another way, they just wanted to put their name on an AR since they could do it cheaper now. Yes, it might get some die-hard hunters into the black rifle camp but...

I'm not saying that anything about the guns or the company is bad, its just the idea.

Steelheart

·
Registered
71 Posts
Not to hi-jack the thread but. Why do AR style rifles cost so much?
I can get a AK for any where from $400 on up
Most AR brands start in the $700.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I thinks is the tighter tolerances involved in the manufactering process. Plus, with some companies, you are paying more for the name on the side. And anymore, there all the extra stuff people want to either buy the gun with out right or add on later.

Steelheart

·
Registered
279 Posts
if you look on bushmasters website you can see the rifles that were in the remington link. apparently when cerberus bought remington which owns bushmaster it was unclear which name the predator rifles would be under.

·
Administrator
18,422 Posts
Whirlwind06 said:
Not to hi-jack the thread but. Why do AR style rifles cost so much?
I can get a AK for any where from $400 on up
Most AR brands start in the $700.
There are more cast and machined parts in an AR15/M16 style rifle than your typical Stamped Sheet Metal framed AK and Barrel Quality is much higher even on the cheapest of AR's. Labor costs for some of the imported AK parts are also significantly cheaper, particularly those coming in from Romania.
:shooter:

I do like Both AK's and AR's and I have my preferences for certain models of both.

Returning to our regularly scheduled thread, it's almost easier nowadays to count who isn't making an AR than it is to count who is! When Bushmaster and Remington were bought by the same company, I sort of expected this.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Actually it's more about the name on the side than anything else that factors into cost. True there is more machining and labor that goes into an AR but have you seen the prices for a Krebbs AK? Not to mention how much they charge for a Galil. I've built an AR for around $500 and if I was cheaper I could do it for less I think the most I have ever spent on an AR was about $700 and that was when I built a 24 inch barrel bushmaster for prairie dogs, And I'm throwing in the cost of scope and bipod with that $700

·
Administrator
18,422 Posts
Being rather Finicky about who and where I get my parts from, I would be hard pressed to build a standard AR15A2 for less than $700, these days. Also, my Sales Taxes are higher and most of my sources are actually in the State of Illinois (PRI), where I reside, so there's no getting around the Sales Taxes.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I agree locality has a lot to do with gun prices as well, I'm lucky that there's agun show just about every month in washington. I can dicker down prices on all the parts I need, Also the Olympic arms rep is there too, I have never gone wrong with their parts. So you can own and AR in Illinois? When I was there over the summer I saw what you need to go through to by shotgun and I felt lucky to live in Washington. But i did like the pizza:)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I only buy Superior Arms AR uppers and lowers. They are made locally (like 50miles from my house), they make them for the military, LEO, other government agency's and they make them for other AR manufactures under their brand names.

Also if you shop around and watch for online sales, etc... you can build an AR starting at $450.00 on up, average cost is about $550.00

Sadly for Illinois, if the elected officials don't change their attitudes about firearms all their gunamkes will be moving to other more friendly states (Like Les Bauer did by moving to Iowa)

·
Administrator
18,422 Posts
Ace said:
So you can own and AR in Illinois?
Presently, yes! And Semi-Auto AK's, too! The State Legislature Chicago Contingent keep's trying to ban them every year, but gets shut down by the downstate Rep's and Illinois State Rifle Association. Happens like Clockwork, every January to June. Class III Full Auto is totally banned except for LEO's under Department Supervision.

As for changing some of the elected officials attittudes, I believe it would be far better to replace them. As Benjamin Franklin once said, "Politicians, like Diapers, need to be changed often, for much the same reason!" :D

Getting back to our Thread, it will be interesting to see, with all the makers of AR's, how pricing settles down, and who will survive. Also, there must be plenty of demand for them, what with all of them getting into the AR business!

As for the Parts for the AR's I've built, most of the Parts I've used have come from M&A Parts and a Gun Show Vendor, who I've dealt with for a long time. Built an M4 style Flat-top with free float tube and Gas Block Rail (no front sight) on a DPMS Lower, last month, for a shooting buddy.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I don't think prices of ars will go down if anything they will go up. The main culprit being the war. I know bushmaster, and armalite, as well as barrett have scaled down civilian poroduction too keep up with government demands.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts