Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hear about this? It's all the talk on some boards. I own two of these rifles and won't let Remington TOUCH one of 'em. The triggers are well maintained and do not malfunction, can't make 'em malfunction. They're set to a crisp 3 lbs. The general consensus seems to be that if well maintained, clean, no rust, they will give no problems.

The story comes from NBC, so consider the source. They'd LOVE to be the media that takes down America's oldest rifle maker.

Remington 700: Massive Fix for the Country's Most Popular Gun - NBC News

Here's Remington's latest response.

Remington Correction of CNBC Reporting

·
Super Moderator
19,678 Posts
Actually, I have heard about this. Seems I saw some ads in some of the recent issues of gun magazines for the recall. While I despise No Body Cares, as much as the next gun guy, it didn't originate with them. It's legit.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
This is actually somewhat old news... it was agreed to months ago, but only now is the effective date. I sent my 700 that was subject to the recall back to Remington 3 or 4 months ago. Remington's website supplies more information and has a tool where you can enter your serial number to determine if a specific rifle is impacted or not. My understanding is that they don't replace anything rather they clean/remove excess sealant that may or may not cause an unintentional discharge. I was concerned about sending mine, afraid the exceptional charactoristics of its break might be adversly affected. I'm glad that when I got my rifle back in 9 weeks on Reminton's dime the trigger is still great IMO. Was I in early and got mine back quicker than I could of if I sent it now? There's no way to know, but my experience then was fine.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
I read that the XP100 was included in this whatever it is, I wouldn't let then fiddle with mine. They probably would make the trigger pull much heavier the the 1 pound it currently is.

·
Super Moderator
35,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They ain't touchin' my triggers! My grandpa bought my M722 in the late 50s. It's been in my possession since about 1968. About 20 years ago, I had the trigger set at 3 lbs by an experienced gunsmith. It's wonderful. I keep it clean and lubed. I've TRIED to mess with it, get it to fire when I released the safety, ain't happenin'.

My M7 has been set to 3 lbs, also. It's stainless, easier to keep clear of corrosion and clean. Neither gun gets rough treatment, though. I think that's the key. The ones that have caused problems were either brand new and misadjusted at the factory or neglected and dirty/rusty.

The guns affected are nearly every Remington built since 1948 including the old 721 and 722s, the M7, etc. I didn't see the 600 mohawk listed, but it's probably one of 'em, too, if the M7 is. I'm pretty sure the M788 is NOT one of the affected guns. It had a different trigger, and rather crappy trigger.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
The settlement covers more than a dozen models, specifically the
Model 700,
Seven,
Sportsman 78,
XP-100,
and 725.

My 788 is not listed although my XP-100 is.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
It made the local news here this past weekend. I cant remember the last time something noncriminal or anti 2A with guns made the news.

·
Super Moderator
35,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Back from my blind where my model 7 functioned as usual. Oh, it didn't have to shoot this trip, bummer, but it didn't fire when I kicked the safety off, never does. :D

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I've called Remington several times this year about my R51 and one of their phone menu items is about the 700 model...

·
Super Moderator
35,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After the R51, i'm wondering if this deal will put 'em under? They have some sort of problem with the 887 shotgun, too, I think. Times aren't the greatest over at big Green. The 700 rifle, though, and its siblings are about my favorite, though. They're consistently accurate and beautiful to the eye. There are plain ones, but the BDL is pretty snazzy. My old 722 is a forerunner and the M7 owes its lineage to the M600 Mohawk which is based on the 700, but a very short action.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts