Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a very nice Remington wing master 870..it's a 2 3/4 chamber. Did I need it not really but always wanted one... Anyway need some help! I got to thinking rather than buy another gun for the house... Why not just put a 18 inch Barrell on it and maybe even a pistol grip. Wouldn't hurt the gun and I could switch it back if I ever got back into hunting. SO what choke would you all suggest on that 18 inch Barrell??? I know that Remington and Mossberg both make a bunch of 18 or 18 1/2 inch barrels with different chokes available. I also know that these barrels will be 3 inch but I can only use the 2 3/4 rounds.

Thanks in advance for your input...

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
I think I've got an IC in my 870 with the 18" barrel. It came with a 26" or 28" barrel and I got the shorter one on either eBay or Gunbroker.

I'll have to look and see which choke is actually in the gun. Wide Open better in my opinion.

Reactions: harley 1986

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
For home defense it matters not. Just make sure it will handle slugs.

Buckshot spread at 7 yards will be 2" - 10" depending on ammo regardless of the choke.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I recently picked up a very nice Remington wing master 870..it's a 2 3/4 chamber. Did I need it not really but always wanted one... Anyway need some help! I got to thinking rather than buy another gun for the house... Why not just put a 18 inch Barrell on it and maybe even a pistol grip. Wouldn't hurt the gun and I could switch it back if I ever got back into hunting. SO what choke would you all suggest on that 18 inch Barrell??? I know that Remington and Mossberg both make a bunch of 18 or 18 1/2 inch barrels with different chokes available. I also know that these barrels will be 3 inch but I can only use the 2 3/4 rounds.

Thanks in advance for your input...
For a 18" defense shotgun, I would go with no choke. My 870 has no constriction and it shoots great, I have shot a 4" group at 100yards with Wolf slugs.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
No need for any chokes in a 18" - 18 1/2", you're not going for long range shots in home defense. With my Mossberg 500 and a reflex sight on top, i threw a pair of rifled slugs through the same hole at 100 yards. But at 7 yards being average defense situation, you should be fine running any ammo you want without much collateral damage. I only run 2 3/4" #8 shot in mine for home defense, even though i can use 3" rounds as well. Since the wad won't let those pellets spread too far below 25 yards, i don't see a problem laying someone out with a belly full of bird shot.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THanks to all.... been a long time since I did anything with a scatter gun and when I starting looking at barrels this choke issue came up.. I find it interesting that never really worried about a choke when I was young seems like everything was "full" choke and that was life. My old Winchester model 12 is a 16 ga FULL choke and its had everything run through it including slugs.. OLD SLUGS.. I guess all this new ammo really makes the difference.

Again thanks

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
I was just given a 1971 Winchester 37A that has Full Choke stamped into it. Gotta love having extra options on everything these days.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was just given a 1971 Winchester 37A that has Full Choke stamped into it. Gotta love having extra options on everything these days.
Thats a good old school shotgun, nice to look at too.... thay are a lot of fun and keeps you honest, one shot at a time.
I have/had a 20 ga HR the son walked off with but I kept the Iver 410.. enjoy it.

·
Registered
34,139 Posts
Open cylinder or no choke is the way to go for home defense. Also, I would not personally shoot slugs through a barrel with a screw in choke. I know some folks do, but if that choke gets the least bit loose and you get barrel gases down into the threads on the choke, you can peel that barrel back just like a banana.

Reactions: stallard

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Open cylinder or no choke is the way to go for home defense. Also, I would not personally shoot slugs through a barrel with a screw in choke. I know some folks do, but if that choke gets the least bit loose and you get barrel gases down into the threads on the choke, you can peel that barrel back just like a banana.
BigSkiff-- whats a screw in choke?? just kidding I do have a Benili NOVA with the screw in chokes -- oh wait I have never fired that gun yet (dont even ask!) ... damn never mind I better stick with the old school stuff its easier to keep track of .... again thanks

I thought I would google chokes so I found this one and became confused Understanding Shotgun Chokes, A brief explanation by Briley

so then I looked again and found this one, I understood this one... Guide to Shotgun Choke Tubes

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I bought a 870 Wingmaster in 16 ga. with an IC choke at a garage sale several years ago for $85.00. The action is still smooth and tight, but the guy that had it must have stored it in a case while it was damp as the bluing is thin and has a tweed pattern on it and the toe of the stock was chipped. I checked on buying a new stock and they wanted 1/2 again more than I paid for it, so I waited and found one at a gunshow for $20.00.

I know that 16ga. shotguns are not real popular now days, but I do love the 16's and they will do all the 20's wwill do and also almost as much as a 12ga. The main problem is that 16ga. ammo is scarce at least up here!

Maybe I need to look around for a short barell for it????

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
I'd suggest one with rifle sights on it myself. That or a ghost ring site.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bought a 870 Wingmaster in 16 ga. with an IC choke at a garage sale several years ago for $85.00. The action is still smooth and tight, but the guy that had it must have stored it in a case while it was damp as the bluing is thin and has a tweed pattern on it and the toe of the stock was chipped. I checked on buying a new stock and they wanted 1/2 again more than I paid for it, so I waited and found one at a gunshow for $20.00.

I know that 16ga. shotguns are not real popular now days, but I do love the 16's and they will do all the 20's wwill do and also almost as much as a 12ga. The main problem is that 16ga. ammo is scarce at least up here!

Maybe I need to look around for a short barell for it????
Midway has 2 full pages including 16 ga....

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Sorry I'm so late in replying again after I said I would look at the short barrel I got for my 870 express. It is stamped CYL and does not have the REMCHOKE feature....so cylinder is what came on the one it got. This one has a bead front sight.

I also have a 20 barrel for my 1100 that has rifle sights and REMCHOKE. I go this on one of the auction websites also.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Again thanks to all... I decided to leave. The Wingmaster alone and bought a nice 870 mag express at a pawn shop. I peeled all the camo "shelf paper" off and picked up a adjustable stock in black with a fore grip. So my search is on for a 18 - 20 inch barrel... Should be a pretty good house gun.. Thanks to all

1 - 16 of 16 Posts