Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of accuracy should one expect to achieve from a Remington 700 .30-06 with Walmart ammo (150 gr Win, Fed, Rem)?

Just started "playing" with it, now getting curious.....

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Most Remington 700's are pretty accurate out of the box. Straight from the box I would expect at least 1.5 to 2 inches at 100 yds. and maybe better with the right ammo and optics. With a little tweaking and the right ammo <1 inch is possible.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks .452.

Getting about 4" at 200 yards with Win, PP's. Got some Remmy's to try next time we get a still day.

Trying to be satisfied as this is plenty good for what I do with the -06 and just keep it simple...........................

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Mine would shoot 2 inch groups at 300 with 165 boat tails and a case of 4831 compressed. Just check more factory ammo's and you'll find a good one for your gun.

·
Registered
29,905 Posts
The "average" Remington Model 700 with factory ammo will out shoot the "average shooter".

It and the Winchester Model 70 are historically the American "benchmarks" for accuracy in that caliber.
:thumb:

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies gentlemen.

Tomorrow is the last day for deer here. After that I'm gonna take it apart and do a much needed sweetening on the trigger, maybe glass bed it. Then I'll start testing different brands of ammo to see what it likes best.

I'm very tempted to start handloading the -06 but many to-do's and adequate accuracy already exists. Testing will be fun and satisfy my current curiosities.

Will post results.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
If you already have reloading equipment I would definitely reload 30-06. I can shoot 1" groups a 300 yds. out of my Win. model 70 with my reloads.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
The "average" Remington Model 700 with factory ammo will out shoot the "average shooter".

It and the Winchester Model 70 are historically the American "benchmarks" for accuracy in that caliber.
:thumb:
I much prefer trained shooter to "average shooter", because it implies that the shooter understand fundamentals, like Stance, Sight Alignment, Breathe Control, Trigger Control, and Follow Through. THOSE are the things that make a good shot good.

Reactions: treg

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
I have a Model 700 ADL Stainless, in .30-06. I have a Bushnell 4 - 12 power scope on it, and it tends to like the heavier bullets. It does best with the plain-jane Remington Core Lokt, 165 grain loads. It does not like either Winchester or Remington 150 grainers. It does group average (1.25 MOA) with the Winchester 180 grain rounds.

Best three-shot group, out of the 165 grain Remy loads, was .900 MOA at 100 yards. This may not be "sniper" grade accuracy, but it is certainly good enough to put meat on the table.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Calling it "Wal-Mart ammo" makes one think that it's a proprietary, or store-branded, ammunition. It isn't. None of the ammunition makers would alter the recipe for a store-brand, while leaving their own name, and packaging, on it.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
Questioning the validity of a name brand ammo sold at Wally may not be a stretch. As a manufacture rep who has done business with Wally, I have first hand knowledge of the things one has to do to meet the Wally Pricepoint. For example, Wally has the best prices on TP. Go look at the size of the cardboard roll tube. It's much larger taking up more space and making the rolls appear to be larger. I'm just saying......

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Since walmart's revelation of supporting NAN, owned by Al Sharpton, we have sworn off buying ANYTHING from there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts