Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a Marlin 336 in a trade a few months ago and don't know much about rifle ammo. I picked up a box of 30-30 Remington Premier Scirocco bonded 180 gr yesterday on a whim and now I can't seem to find any information on this cartridge in 30-30. I don't even see 30-30 listed on the Remington website.

Does anyone have any experience with these rounds in 30-30 or any other caliber?

·
Registered
36,334 Posts
Not familiar with it!
I am familiar with factory load only in the Core-Lock , think both the flat tip an hollow point were listed as the Core-lock?
loaded other projectiles in non tubular feed 30-30s but they of course were not factory.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
I'm not familiar with it either, like the previous poster, I have shot the Remington Core-Lock and it gave me
some nice target groupings. My Marlin loves the Hornday Levevolution (I know that's not the way it looks
on the box). The Hornday is expensive but gives my 30/30 a little more umph and performance at longer
ranges.

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
Our deer are small and in the terrain 125 yds is a long shot (Any further and they are "Way over there on that other hill" so I use the Remington 150 corelokt for factory ammo. The heavier bullets would be fine for black bear but might "in and out" on small deer, not to say it's a bad thing, just make sure that's what you want it do to.

Reactions: .452dia

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Swift™ Scirocco Bonded bullets have a progressively tapered copper jacket that is locked to a lead core with proven Swift bonding technology for controlled expansion and more than 75% weight retention at any velocity. A polymer tip combines with a boattail base for reduced air resistance and drag. High ballistic coefficients ensure match- grade accuracy.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I've searched sources and can find no listing for Remington 30-30 ammunition with a 180 gr. Scirocco bullet. The bullet is listed in other high performance rounds, 300 magnums, all of them, but not 30-30. Are you sure you read the label and head stamp right?

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
The 150 gn. Remington Core-Lok is about as good a bullet to use on Whitetail as any. I also handload them and have had great results.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've searched sources and can find no listing for Remington 30-30 ammunition with a 180 gr. Scirocco bullet. The bullet is listed in other high performance rounds, 300 magnums, all of them, but not 30-30. Are you sure you read the label and head stamp right?
I asked the guy behind the counter to show we what he had in 30-30 he handed me a box of corelokt, a box of accutip, and a box of Scirocco. The were all marked 30-30 on the box.

I haven't checked the head stamp yet, but when I opened the box to inspect the rounds they seemed to be right, but I didn't have anything to compare them to but my memory.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I would see if they will group OK and if so; Hell Yes use em....

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well finally got around to checking the head stamp. They are actually 30-06 rounds. And looking at the box again it appears that someone placed a label on the box that said it was 30-30. When I pulled the label off it looks like the printing was smeared on the original print on the box.

My father in-law offered to give me $25 for the box though so Ill grab a box of the right stuff.

I don't think it would have loaded into a 30-30 so no harm no foul I guess...

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Check out the Hornady LeveRevolution rounds. Plastic tapered tip rather than blunt. Better ballistics at distance. Make the effective range in excess of 200 yards. No more expensive than the Core-Lokt. I'd also give a good butt chewing to the gunshop guy who sold the ammo to you.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Check out the Hornady LeveRevolution rounds. Plastic tapered tip rather than blunt. Better ballistics at distance. Make the effective range in excess of 200 yards. No more expensive than the Core-Lokt. I'd also give a good butt chewing to the gunshop guy who sold the ammo to you.
I've got a box of the Hornady but haven't had the chance to shoot it yet. I've heard good things though.

And I have already taken care of the "but chewing". Both the guy behind the counter and the manager!

Reactions: hombre243

·
Registered
29,909 Posts
Well finally got around to checking the head stamp. They are actually 30-06 rounds. And looking at the box again it appears that someone placed a label on the box that said it was 30-30. When I pulled the label off it looks like the printing was smeared on the original print on the box.

My father in-law offered to give me $25 for the box though so Ill grab a box of the right stuff.

I don't think it would have loaded into a 30-30 so no harm no foul I guess...
Oops!

Attachments

·
Registered
36,334 Posts
QUOTE]

Hmm? does the gun shop sale chamber extenders or really large hammers?-----------------:p

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Yikes! I have hunted a 30-30 for years. I used to hunt core-lokt for years. This year, I switched to Hornady American Whitetail, this year, because I could't find Core-Lokts this year in 150gr, which is what I generally hunt. Don't know where you hunt, but the 30-30 will surprise you. Don't listed to the negative talk about the round being underpowered. At 1" high at 50 yards, I get a 2" drop @ 175 yards with 900+lb energy. Translation: on paper it should take a deer clean to 175 yards. In the real world, I wouldn't know. 120 yards is about as far as I have ever been tempted to shoot. The kill was clean, both lungs. Charts show that the leverlution Hornady rounds are clean out to just over 200yrds. I have never shot a leverlutuon round, so I can't testify about those. I can tell you that the 30-30 has still taken more deer than the next 5 best selling rounds combined, and it has a relativly mild recoil. Seeing that I personally can not take a clean kill at 175 yards, then the round / caliber is beyound anything that I or most people would be able to honestly do. At the range, it is easy to sight in. As a matter of fact, if you sigt in in at an easy 26 yards, you will probably be surprised that you will only need mild tweeking, (for dead on) at 100 yards. Cool little 30-30 trick.

BTW: The photo of me in blaze to the left, that is my Rossi RioGrand 30-30 in my hands. I have a Simmons 4x32 scope on it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts