Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some pics of the remington 158gr lswchp +p ammo that I did some backyard ballistic with test media 4 1 gallon water jugs cover with 4 layers of a cotton undershirt test weapon taurus model 85UL 2" inch barrel distance was 10 feet from the muzzle to the first water jug both slugs were recover in the third jug if you look at the 2nd picture you will notice the slug on the left expanded to .55 whole the slug on the right expanded to .57

Attachments

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Thank ya , thank ya very much! :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
17,895 Posts
Very Interesting! Thanx for posting.

·
Administrator
35,398 Posts
Yep, thats why this load is still very popular. I carry it in my 38 snubby revolver as well, and it's a proven stopper.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Wait, wait, wait... They aren't bonded, plated, fancy jacketed, Teflon molly coated, plastic thingy in the end, and you are trying to tell me that an ammo design from decades ago still works?!?!?

Clearly you must be mistaken since it's not the latest laser guided science in an expensive projectile...

;)

(I’m trying to find a mold to cast my own of that same bullet and then load them to the same velocity…)

·
Administrator
17,895 Posts
(I’m trying to find a mold to cast my own of that same bullet and then load them to the same velocity…)
Most of those are swaged of a medium soft alloy, not cast. Casting HP bullets for expansion is tricky business, alloy-wise. The best of luck in your quest! I would like to find ready made 158 grn LSWC-HP's just to load in .38 Special. Speer and Hornady used to sell them, but have not seen those in a long time.

http://www.speer-bullets.com/ballistics/detail.aspx?id=224

http://www.hornady.com/store/38-Cal-.358-158-gr-SWC-HP/

Seating any of these soft projectiles is a delicate operation, so as not to deform them during the seating process.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
19 Posts
Shot a few in my S&W 637-2- whoooooa What a handful, made my hand sting ----so would not want to be hit with one! Much better from the old Ruger GP100. Love that round...might paint the end bright green and call it the FBI Zombie load...maybe not. LOL

·
Administrator
17,895 Posts
Well, I'm already casting these from lead with about 5% tin added:

Soooo, I don't think I will have too much trouble... ;)
Very Nice! :cool: Done any expansion testing yet? Hollow point Mold or Drilled? Finished Bullet weight?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Great job!
Hey, are these the ones that stopped the FBI shootout in Miami????
You bet!
Good photos!
;)

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
The lead in the Remington ammo for this load is a bit softer than in other commercial rounds of its type. The exception might be Buffalo Bore rounds.
Federal® Nyclad™ also Kimosabe.

Reactions: Qwiks draw

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Very Nice! :cool: Done any expansion testing yet? Hollow point Mold or Drilled? Finished Bullet weight?
I don't have a range that allows for improvised targets as they want paper only. They are all cast from a MP-Mold and those are some top notch high qualtiy molds if you are interested in starting up. The top one is a .452" H&G 68 clone of the 200gr bullet but with the HP it drops at 185gr. The other is a .432" 240gr that I'm trying in my S&W 629. I get leading pretty bad if I don't size them a little fatter than usual thus the .003" over bore size. I don't load them to max loads just to be sure I don't make too much pressure. The bullet weight can vary with alloy but I use pretty much as close to straight lead with just enough tin added to make the lead fill out the sharp edges in the mold. I would love to buy the Corbin S press and their HP bullet swage dies but that setup is pretty pricey and casting is just cheap and easy. NOE Molds also make some good looking HP molds but I haven't bought one of those yet.

Federal® Nyclad™ also Kimosabe.
I love the old 158gr SWCHP .38 Nyclads and keep wishing they would bring them back. They brought back the 125gr RNHP .38 Nyclads so I keep hoping...

·
32,564 Posts
Not sure if Federal will bring back the Nyclad 158gr. model. In documented shooting those penetrated almost too deep and expansion was iffy. Part of that had to do with the lead in the bullet being a bit harder,not much, than the 125gr. model.

The nylon coating also was part of this.

It would still be good one to bring back though. There are a lot of advantages to a them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not sure if Federal will bring back the Nyclad 158gr. model. In documented shooting those penetrated almost too deep and expansion was iffy. Part of that had to do with the lead in the bullet being a bit harder,not much, than the 125gr. model.

The nylon coating also was part of this.

It would still be good one to bring back though. There are a lot of advantages to a them.
If i could find some federal 158gr lswchp nyclad i would love to test them from my snubby

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Here are some pics of the remington 158gr lswchp +p ammo that I did some backyard ballistic with test media 4 1 gallon water jugs cover with 4 layers of a cotton undershirt test weapon taurus model 85UL 2" inch barrel distance was 10 feet from the muzzle to the first water jug both slugs were recover in the third jug if you look at the 2nd picture you will notice the slug on the left expanded to .55 whole the slug on the right expanded to .57
Looks like that "old" classic still performs very well indeed!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts