Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always pocket carry my TCP in a Blackhawk holster. I never keep anything in my pocket with the gun.

Today my son grabbed my keys and dropped them in my pocket. In that brief moment the keys were in my pocket one of the extra rings looped around the trigger. Luckily I had enough sense to pull the gun and keys out together. I hate to think what would have happened if I just pulled the keys out.

This was a real life reminder to not put anything in your pockets with your carry gun. I think it is time to replace the holster with one that is not so stretched out to help prevent this from easily happening again.

·
Administrator
35,713 Posts
Does the Blackhawk holster not cover the entire trigger guard? If it doesn't, I would re-think that holster.

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
Wow! Never occurred to me that such a thing would happen, I just didn't want to ever have to fish for the right object when the poo was being flung.

Danged good lesson, thanks!

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Glad you were paying attention. A lesson for all.

·
Super Moderator
40,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does the Blackhawk holster not cover the entire trigger guard? If it doesn't, I would re-think that holster.
It does cover the trigger completely. It has just stretched out enough to allow the empty key ring, that I happened to have on the ring, enough room to slip in there. I put a few stitches in there tonight and it tightened up nicely, still going to keep an eye out for a replacement.

·
Administrator
35,713 Posts
It does cover the trigger completely. It has just stretched out enough to allow the empty key ring, that I happened to have on the ring, enough room to slip in there. I put a few stitches in there tonight and it tightened up nicely, still going to keep an eye out for a replacement.
Yikes. Glad you didn't have a mishap. That could have been bad.

I am left handed but shoot right handed......so my keys go in my left pocket, and my pistol is in my right. I always take out my change when I'm carrying, I could see a small coin get inside the trigger guard and that just wouldn't do at all. ;)

·
Registered
477 Posts
Scary, glad you had your witts aboutyou.

Reactions: Fishinkeylargo

·
Super Moderator
40,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am anal about not putting anything in my pocket with the gun. When my son walked by and dropped them in there it definitely caught me off guard. Glad I did not panic.

Reactions: btleslie

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
A good piece of advice to everyone.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Yep - gun and pocket holster is all the RF gets period. Time for a look at the 2 I use. Good result and thanks for posting!!

Reactions: Snug9mm

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Thanks, My pocket holster is on the cheap side and this has got me looking for a different option.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for sharing that. A lesson learned by you now is something learned by more. Just a reminder that things can happen not by our doing that can cause a problem. Glad you were able to keep a cool head and handle the situation.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Another reason why I have a soft homemade plug between the trigger and trigger guard. I can draw and push the plug out in one motion. This thread made me look again at my pocket holster, though. Good post.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Thanks for sharing that with us.Nothing else goes in my gun pocket.I don't see how that could happen with my LCP or the holster it is in.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Glad you had the best safety on when it happened, and by best safety, I am talking about the one between your two ears!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not highjack too much..... What do you recommend in a pocket holster for a TCP with the CR laser that will completely cover the trigger guard?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts