Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know what got me to thinking about this, probably the MasterCard commercial. But anyways.......

REMEMBER WHEN:

Master Card used to be called Master Charge

When the "X" Phone Company was called Southern Bell

Sinclair gas stations

Hardee's had cartoon characters too.

When you went to KFC, your choices were fried or nothing - and it came in a red and white bucket.

Mac Donald's had a hamburger, a cheeseburger and a Big Mac...and that was it.

Oil came in a cardboard can and you had to put a can opener/spout on it to use it.

Come on, I'm not the only old person here! :cool:

What do you "remember when" ?

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
I remember when landing on the Moon meant something, and watching it on
a large console color T.V. and the pride Americans felt.
That was a different time.......

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
I remember when kids would trick or treat for Unicef, us gals wore dresses to school every day-even if it snowed, learning the Dewey decimal system & how to use the card catalog at the library, gas was 25 cents, madras shirts and bell bottom pants, the Beatles, troll dolls, the corner newspaper & tobacco shop that sold candy to us kids, MASH, the Red Skelton show, the milkman delivering milk, babysitting for 5o cents per hour, stores were closed on Sundays, having a Ford Falcon wagon to take my drivers test in, being stationed in Germany while in the Army and the Berlin Wall was still up, using a data deck of cards 12" high to run a computer program in grad school, my first slide rule, my first calculator that cost hundreds of dollars, my first new car - a Fiat Spyder that cost $5k, running 10 miles a day and being skinny, DH having hair! :)

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
I remember when kids would trick or treat for Unicef, us gals wore dresses to school every day-even if it snowed, learning the Dewey decimal system & how to use the card catalog at the library, gas was 25 cents, madras shirts and bell bottom pants, the Beatles, troll dolls, the corner newspaper & tobacco shop that sold candy to us kids, MASH, the Red Skelton show, the milkman delivering milk, babysitting for 5o cents per hour, stores were closed on Sundays, having a Ford Falcon wagon to take my drivers test in, being stationed in Germany while in the Army and the Berlin Wall was still up, using a data deck of cards 12" high to run a computer program in grad school, my first slide rule, my first calculator that cost hundreds of dollars, my first new car - a Fiat Spyder that cost $5k, running 10 miles a day and being skinny, DH having hair! :)

Was all this before or after the Wheel was invented........:)

Love ya!

·
Registered
18,580 Posts
I remember when I didn't own any guns. Okay...:unsure:...so it mighta' been just 'coz I was too young but still...:mellow:...I refer to those days as "the dark times".

·
Registered
16,960 Posts
I remember gas for 17 cents a gallon, a Baby Ruth bar the size of my leg for 5 cents,
milk was 60 cents a gallon and the first house I lived in my dad paid $9,000 and it was a nice house.
I am so old everything was uphill, in the snow, barefoot with a 50mph wind in our face.

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
Was all this before or after the Wheel was invented........:)

Love ya!
There definitely were no wheels like this - and I still can hardly believe these really work! :)
wheels2_112-m.jpg

·
Registered
18,580 Posts
I remember when bread and dairy products were delivered to your door and most doctors still would make house calls.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I remember when Bobby Kennedy and MLK were murdered.
I remember watching the news each night covering the Vietnam War.
I too remember gas and candy and soda being so cheap.
I remember buying cigs for my mom as a little boy.
I remember walking all over the town at all hours of the day and being safe.
I remember riding my bike with the banana seat and high handle bars and riding wheelies for a long time!
I remember when McDonald's sign said "1 Million Sold."
I remember eating at Wendy's for the 1st time-so strange eating a square hamburger!
I remember the family gathering every week to watch the Wonderful World of Disney and watching The Wizard of Oz every year when it came on.
I remember life was so much more simple and peaceful before computers, internet, cell phones.
And I still remember the time, face, and name of the first girl I kissed - Jill Maxwell. I had one of my friends hold her down while I kissed her. We were in the 1st grade. Nowadays I'd be expelled, possibly be taken away from my home, and have to go through some kind of mental treatment and program. Oh boy how life has changed!

·
Registered
29,862 Posts
I remember gas for 17 cents a gallon, a Baby Ruth bar the size of my leg for 5 cents,
milk was 60 cents a gallon and the first house I lived in my dad paid $9,000 and it was a nice house.
I am so old everything was uphill, in the snow, barefoot with a 50mph wind in our face.
Here's me with my 5 cent Butterfinger...those were the days!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
I remember penny candy and a large assortment of it too !

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
I remember when you could cruise all saturday night in dad's car, put $2 of regular LEADED in on the way home and have more in the tank than when you took it.

I remember when hippies, yippies and assorted freaks were UNUSUAL.

I remember when having 16 kb of total memory was luxurious (and NO hard drive).

I remember when you programmed with a shoe box of punch cards. AND I remember what fun and games could be had with the left over "dots" that were punched out.

·
Registered
14,649 Posts
I remember milk in glass jars being left on the steps. I remember watching this big tube with a point shooting into the sky and later seeing michelin men walking on this empty rocky place and planting a flag, later to hear they were astronauts on the moon. I remember long lines at the gas stations. I remember having to remove the window from the storm door and tunneling through snow to get out of the house just so I could shovel all the snow away from the door. I remember OJ rushing for 2003 yards.
I remember having a proper Sunday dinner at my grandparents each Sunday and having to watch Lawrence Welk before seeing the disney movie. I remember how-ard co-sell and the Wide world of sports.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Being born in the UK after WW11, I can remember a time BEFORE television.

I can remember living in a house with no electricity. It had coal gas lights, cook stove and oven and out only entertainment was a wet cell battery radio.

I can remember when milk, coal and fresh veg were delivered by horse drawn carts.

I can remember when the street lights were gas and a guy used to come round every evening and check them.

I can remember when cops actually walked the beat and knew everybody and all us kids on their beat.

I can remember when every boy was expected to carry a knife to school.

I can remember when public transport was electric trams that ran on rails in the middle of the street and were powered from overhead lines.

This has got my old body tired and it is time for a nap!!!!

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

And dammit, you were happy it was like that too! :cool:

Reactions: TrucksNCoffee

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay, so I remember waking up at 5 am Saturday morning and watching the 3 Stooges and then the Little Rascals. After that, The Thunderbirds. After that the rocky & bullwinle show followed by the Pink Panther. The road runner had his own show and own theme song.

By 11:30, cartoons were over for the week and it was time for chores or to go outside to play. Sometimes you would have an ABC weekend special with a Benji move or similar.

I do remember sitting with the family watching the Wonderful World of Disney!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts