·
Super Moderator
35,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Not only did they take his guns...

Based on the court order, Kohfield – who served two tours of duty in Iraq -- was committed to a veterans hospital for 20 days and was barred from participating in subsequent protests in Portland.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
This man took an oath to defend his country form enemies foreign and domestic and has
Voicing to protect yourself, community from a soon to be terrorist group the tyrannical gov. supports gets you ….
Well, i don't know if this guy is mentally stable or not but i know that people need to be armed when around antifa or the liberal gov in the north west. Both are not being held accountable for their unlawful actions against the citizens of the USA. The very reason we have 2A.
His voicing of his concerns and his conviction may have gotten him elected to office next year but today it's getting him a 20 day stay in a rubber room.. Being EX military he should have known better. Actions and words that can get you court martialed in peace time can get you rank and metals in war time.
If he is not a nut and found to be sane and just exercising his rights to free speech and poor judgement, he needs to get rich form the litigation. Civil rights violations, unlawful incarceration, property seizure, mental anguish and whatever else you can pile on for misuse of this sorry "red flag" STUFF

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Everybody has the right to remain silent. Very few have the ability.

Talking trash and general alpha male chest beating can be construed as threats these days. The problem with trash talk and making threats is that someone might think you are actually serious and act accordingly.

The moral of this story is don't run off at the mouth.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
I don't like red flag laws any more than anybody else here does, however the article does not give all the information. I saw another article this morning about this and I will try to find it to put up a Link. That article stated that he was only committed to the VA hospital mental health clinic for one week, he voluntarily asked to stay there 2 more weeks. He is also suffering and being treated for bipolar and PTSD. His father told the VA investigators that his son was capable of killing someone And he did not doubt his son would do it.

Now we all agree that stopping the mass Shootings needs to be A priority for everyone And that mental health problems are the number one cause. If this man is mentally unbalanced then it doesn't make any difference how many tours he did to wherever or what he did while he was doing them. Mentally unbalanced is mentally unbalanced and he should be given all the care assistance and support we can give him but until his mental state improves he does not need a firearm.

I don't know the truth, the whole story, or what being left out of the situation. I just hope for his sake he can receive everything he needsTo recover and join the rest of society.

Don

·
21,944 Posts
I don't like red flag laws any more than anybody else here does, however the article does not give all the information. I saw another article this morning about this and I will try to find it to put up a Link. That article stated that he was only committed to the VA hospital mental health clinic for one week, he voluntarily asked to stay there 2 more weeks. He is also suffering and being treated for bipolar and PTSD. His father told the VA investigators that his son was capable of killing someone And he did not doubt his son would do it.
If verified, this would change things quite a bit.

The thing about this story is, Antifa is an organized, violent organization. They have inflicted violence on everyday Americans for their political beliefs. That is the definition of a terrorist organization. Saying you are ready to defend yourself against a terrorist organization should not be controversial.

But if the statements Don passed along are correct, that does change at least my view of the situation.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts

Talking trash and general alpha male chest beating can be construed as threats these days. The problem with trash talk and making threats is that someone might think you are actually serious and act accordingly.

So the opposite side of the argument is able to "Run their Mouths" with impunity while we have to shut up and take it? I don't think so.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
So the opposite side of the argument is able to "Run their Mouths" with impunity while we have to shut up and take it? I don't think so.
It's like that quoit I have seen a few times. "we are at an awkward stage right now, to late to do anything about them and to soon to shoot them"
They will shoot themselves in the foot if given enough rope.
Let's hope we don't have to help a brother out until then. I thank my maker that I don't live around this trash. To bad they don't live around me. We have police that up hold the law and would bag and tag these political goons.

·
Registered
14,598 Posts
This is my exact post in another forum regarding this incident:
The guy is definitely not the sharpest tool in the shed. I believe his mistake was conflating a simple self defense with the shot heard round the world. If attacked, I believe everyone has the right to protect themselves up to and including the use of lethal force. Where he screwed up was that he indicated he would not only kill but would slaughter antifa members JUST because they were antifa members. So little Sebastian is masking up to go protest and this guy sees him and thinks he's now "in season". Um... Yea. that's not self defense or protection, that's premeditated murder. I side with the state on this one.

·
Registered
17,052 Posts
It's like that quoit I have seen a few times. "we are at an awkward stage right now, to late to do anything about them and to soon to shoot them"
They will shoot themselves in the foot if given enough rope.
Let's hope we don't have to help a brother out until then. I thank my maker that I don't live around this trash. To bad they don't live around me. We have police that up hold the law and would bag and tag these political goons.
My guess is that left unchecked in the more liberal cities, eventually Antifa members will actually kill someone, and at that point, the gloves will come off. If (when) that happens, I wouldn't want to walk out on the street with a black mask on because those black masks might well be the next form of "target identification". And who would be able to defend them? If someone came at me, dressed like they dress, with a metal pole, I think I'd have a pretty strong case for "reasonable fear for my life" if someone else had been killed under similar circumstances.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
This is my exact post in another forum regarding this incident:
The guy is definitely not the sharpest tool in the shed. I believe his mistake was conflating a simple self defense with the shot heard round the world. If attacked, I believe everyone has the right to protect themselves up to and including the use of lethal force. Where he screwed up was that he indicated he would not only kill but would slaughter antifa members JUST because they were antifa members. So little Sebastian is masking up to go protest and this guy sees him and thinks he's now "in season". Um... Yea. that's not self defense or protection, that's premeditated murder. I side with the state on this one.
I don't have enough information yet to side with anyone, but I noticed the same things in his statement that you did. I can certainly see how it could be construed that way. Using reasonable force for self defense against an immediant attack from a particular threat, sure, but taking out the whole organization?

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
My guess is that left unchecked in the more liberal cities, eventually Antifa members will actually kill someone, and at that point, the gloves will come off. If (when) that happens, I wouldn't want to walk out on the street with a black mask on because those black masks might well be the next form of "target identification". And who would be able to defend them? If someone came at me, dressed like they dress, with a metal pole, I think I'd have a pretty strong case for "reasonable fear for my life" if someone else had been killed under similar circumstances.
You could make the argument regarding the bolded that this is a legitimate case of self defense, considering a metal pole could be used as a deadly weapon. It appeared though his comments went beyond that.

·
Registered
18,486 Posts
In other words...:huh:...don't talk about it, just do it? :unsure:...not sure what they're encouraging here.

·
17,575 Posts
It was the "I have a detailed plan to wipe out ANTIFA". That goes beyond self-defense.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
I think this is more of a 1A issue. It's a well-established fact that you can't shout "FIRE!" in a crowded movie theater. And in the past week or so there have been several news stories of school kids threatening to shoot up their schools, and how the police identified and arrested them. These days, no matter who you are or where you are, threats like this are going to be met with police action. Only politicians can get away with "rhetoric", and on this subject maybe not even them.

So far as the "Red Flag Law" and civil commitment, these are covered by civil laws, not criminal. Same reason OJ was found not guilty for killing his wife but ended up losing the wrongful-death suit. And civil commitment has been around ever since Washington state began to put sex offenders in prison because they might re-offend, maybe even before that. Until someone challenges them in court and wins, they will be something to be reckoned with.

And, this happened in Portland Oregon. Reading his statements it's hard to think of any other place that would be worse for him.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Free speech doesnt mean free of consequences.
Well it kind of does. From the GOV anyway.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts

While I agree with what you're saying, there seems to be little or no penalty for doing essentially the same thing if you are Antifada or a member of the entertainment industry, etc.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts