Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a Rem 870 Express 12 ga. w/ standard 5 shot max. mag tube and want to extend the tube with a aftermarket extension kit. I found some Choate models that will extend the mag up to 5 extra shots. There seems to be other brands, but with less exension.

I've read there is a slight modifcation to the existing mag tube to make the extensions fit, but I don't think that should be no problem.

Does anyone have any experience with this type modification.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. After more review, it looks like my 870 is old enough (as I recall, from the late '80s) that there are no dimples, so it shoild be a traight scrrew on and clamp installation .

I have a 28" barrel and am interested in the +5 shot extension. I'm just wondering if anyone has done that and if there are any feed problems due to the long tube length

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
My 870 Express Super Magnum had the dimples and I drilled them out and dremeled it smooth. I still can't get mag tube extensions to work with my 870 Express Super Magnum. I have three different extensions and they will work with my Remiington 1100 but not with my 870.

It seems like the longer spring catches and hangs up where the extension tube attaches to the original mag tube.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've got a plus 3 extension that came on my gun and I can't see where you'd ever want more than 8+1 shots. That being said if you get the +5 extension you're going to have to worry about minimum barrel length too, you might have to get a 24" barrel to keep it from looking weird.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got a plus 3 extension that came on my gun and I can't see where you'd ever want more than 8+1 shots. That being said if you get the +5 extension you're going to have to worry about minimum barrel length too, you might have to get a 24" barrel to keep it from looking weird.
I have a 28" barrel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts