Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reloaded a few .45 acp, my first. Took them to the range and fired most through the PT1911, and a couple through my XD 45. Most fired without a hitch, but three of them did not fire in the 1911, even after two hits. The man next to me had several guns with him, one of which was also a PT 1911. He and I discussed the possibilities as to why the rounds did not fire..no powder..bad primer. I told him that I weighed each finished round to insure all were close, so I knew there was powder in them. He then took the non-firing rounds, loaded them into his 1911 and they fired without a hitch. I wonder if I need work on the 1911 :???: :???:. Any help from you guys would be greatly welcomed. Keep in mind the 1911 is near new, only about 100 rounds through it so far.

·
Administrator
40,374 Posts
I have a Ruger that just doesn't like CCI primers. Quit using them and cured the problem. Some primers are harder than others. You might start there before you consider having your 1911 worked over.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Make sure the primers are seated firmly, that is a extremely easy problem, after 20 years of doing it I ran into some last weekend for my 357 that weren't seated completely, different problem there, wheel won't spin. With pistol the first smacks maybe just setting the primer in so his first smack lit it off.

David

·
Registered
384 Posts
I agree with Smokewagon and Davidk0031 that it is a primer related problem. It appears that your PT1911 didn't strike the offending primers hard enought to set them off where your shooting buddies gun did. Everyone to there own likes and dislikes, but I use Winchester primers in all my loads and have never had a failure to fire that was primer related.

·
Registered
147 Posts
You didn't say, did the primers on the rounds that didn't fire have any strike marks on them? I had (have) problems with a brand new 24/7 OSS that had 5 rounds out of 200 that did not fire and had no marks on the primers even after 3 and 4 pulls. If the primers had no marks then it is probably a gun problem, if they did have marks it could be the primers themselves.

What primers are you using? CCI seems to be good primers, but they are a bit harder than some, that is why i like them for my 223's for the AR, that way you don't get auto fires as the bolt slams home. It is possible your 1911 isn't hitting hard enough, but i think i would try some different softer primers first before taking the gun to the Smith and especially before sending the gun back to Taurus for 6 to 8 weeks and then being told "We can't find anything wrong."

I have had very good luck with Wolf primers. I have used about three thousand of them now in my 40 cal my 1911 45 and my 223 AR. Everyone of them has gone bang without a miss so far.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am using Winchester Primers. Also, checked before firing to insure primers were seated properly and they were. The gentleman who fired the rounds checked this as well. Also, the primers had striker marks(dents) from my gun, and actually double marks as I took them out, reloaded into magazine and tried to refire. Then the other gent placed them into his 1911 and they fired. Maybe my firing pin is not hitting deep enough but as I said before, other rounds fired in this gun all fired w/o any trouble. I am reloading more this weekend and will report further. Again as always, thanks for all replies!!!

·
Super Moderator
35,452 Posts
The firing pin and return spring on a 1911 is extremely easy to replace and parts are dirt cheap.

·
Registered
96 Posts
1 do not know a whole lot about these 1911s
how ever if you follow the adice given more than likely you'll find the cure. another question just popped in my mind, and i do not know if it could make a difference, are you using one manufacturers brand of of brass or are you using mixed brass when you load a lot of 45s?

good luck, dan

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I also had a failure to fire problem with my PT1911, the cause was.... high seated primers.

I was used Lee hand priming tool for the first time and didn't seat some primers deep enough. (I never had FTFire problem before using the press to prime the cases).

The round that FTFire would go off on either second or third strike. What was happening is first strike seatedthe primer deeper (so if you look at it after it would be seated properly and would have a dent), then the second (or even third) strike would set the primer off.

Later when I checked the remaining ammo from the same batch I notices a few primers were high just a little bit but that was enough to cause a problem. They must be seated just bellow or same hight as the case to function properly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have always used cci in everything I load from 380-50AE. Hand gun.

Tonight is the first time I used some rem and win, will see how they do in a day or two.
so far the PT1911, SF1911, XD45 AnD THE BE45 all shot good with the 185gr JHP i just put together, as a matter of fact the 45's have ate just about everything i have feed them.

As for checking rounds to see if you missed a charge it is hard to tell when only using 5gr powder. Veriant from case to case and bullet weight makes it hard for me to catch it even using a dig scale. when in dout i pull it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys for all your advice. Someone asked if I was using all one Mfg. Cases. The answer is NO. Most are Winchester but a few picked up at the range were of a different MFG. I failed to check that when I had the miss fires. I will try and be more careful to use all the same casings.

·
Registered
356 Posts
i used cci primers when loading for trap shooting had miss fires more then i liked switched to winchester and never had a problem so i never went back to cci. i use a Lee hand primer tool and works great for me never had a problem with any
not going boom

·
Registered
25 Posts
Back from the range, the rem primers all went bang as did all my cci, but in the past 35 years I have never had any cci not go off, just tried the rem because they were free. Old but free. Also used some old PB powder in the PT1911 and it all went off fine, load was light but the gun did great.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I us CCI primers, never had a problem with them. The only time I have not had one go off was if I did not sit them deep enough. After the first hit with the firing pin they would go off on the second or third time, mostly the second time. Just one of the banes of reloading.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts