Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several friends at work and I agree that although we reload our own ammo, we would never use our own loaded ammunition in our daily carry. We would however load a mock up of the ammunition to test for feeding and reliability. The thought is that in a self defense situation, once the lawyers and prosecutors get going and we end up in a court room, if we have used our own ammo we could be held liable for that as well. If we use a factory provided ammunition, then their lawyers may be able to help in our defense. What is everyones thoughts or experience on this subject?
Thanks

·
Administrator
35,785 Posts
I have always read that it's not a good idea. I read articles as far back as the early 90's that overzealous prosecutors like going after people who reload.....I've read in more recent years though, that it really depends on the state and even the municipality that you live in. Some states, like Texas, would make it difficult to go after somebody because of the Castle laws, or at least that's what I understand. Other places, like Illinois, New York, Kalifornia, and some others, I think it would be a very bad idea.

I would say, if you're in doubt, then it's not worth the consideration. Just buy a box of self defense ammo at the store and don't worry about it anymore.

·
Administrator
41,031 Posts
I'm a reloader, but don't carry my reloads, though I know they are reliable and can do the job. Using them in a defensive situation could possibly become an issue in a courtroom, which I think we can all do without, regardless of the outcome. Carry what your area law enforcement officers carry. Not a lot of room for arguement there.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
If you are using new brass n commercially available bullets it'd be hard to establish unless they were looking for it but mas ayoob advises against it. My feeling is that unless its a woods carry scenario stick with commerical ammo

·
Registered
37,328 Posts
use your own judgement and what you think is best for you!
now that is out of the way!
can anyone site one, just one case where a prosecutor has made an indictment and carried anyone to court for using standard reloaded ammunition in a justified shooting?
By standard i mean not drilling out the hollow point, putting a primer in the hollow point, putting arsenic etc in the hollow point.
shootings are one of 2 things either justified or not justified, if you are found to have conducted an unjustified shooting then it really doesn't matter what the projectile or load was.
most reloads are no more deadly than factory ammo, matter of fact some factory loadings can not be duplicated because you can't buy the particular component used.
Personally i use reloaded personal defense ammo because i can load a more reliable round than i can buy, especially for my particular carry gun, I think every factory manufacture has had a least 1 recall on thier ammo!
I have never had to issued a recall on any of mine.
simple as that.
in my opinion all this thye gonna get you if you use reloads is Old wives gossip thats been spread over the years.

·
Administrator
35,785 Posts
Cases Where Handloads Caused Problems in Court by Mas Ayoob

Here are a couple of examples.....yes, they are from the northern east coast, and yes, I have no idea how old these are.....but they are examples. This is what you could hear, sitting in the witness stand:

“Why wasn’t regular ammunition deadly enough for you” (from the link above)

Stupid for sure, but if it's been used once, it could be used again.

Reactions: 44wcf

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
I don't reload but I will hazard a guess that as long as you didn't have a "hot" load or some magical bullet that could create more damage than what is available commercially then what is the legal argument against it?How is it more deadly than a store bought bullet??Heaven forbid someone use common sense in that if I have to defend my life against someone seeking to do me harm then it shouldn't matter if it was a mercury tipped expanding hollow point with knife blades behind it.

There I go using common sense again and expecting the legal system to recognize(let alone understand)it.My bad.I cut x marks in my BB'S so you better watch out!

·
Administrator
35,785 Posts
I don't reload but I will hazard a guess that as long as you didn't have a "hot" load or some magical bullet that could create more damage than what is available commercially then what is the legal argument against it?How is it more deadly than a store bought bullet??Heaven forbid someone use common sense in that if I have to defend my life against someone seeking to do me harm then it shouldn't matter if it was a mercury tipped expanding hollow point with knife blades behind it.

There I go using common sense again and expecting the legal system to recognize(let alone understand)it.My bad.I cut x marks in my BB'S so you better watch out!

As with politics, common sense has absolutely nothing to do with it. In more liberal areas of the country, it just gives the prosecutor an opening to paint you as a bloodthirsty, evil person. And, some DA's are just looking for the right case to launch them into a higher political orbit.

I can say that, because my dad was an assistant DA for 20 years. :D He saw plenty of that.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Black Text Font Yellow Mode of transport
I have hand-loaded for over forty years and there are so many great hand-loads for personal defense, but I don't carry them in my EDC because they could be ruled on in court as a "man killer". Carry the best factory loads for your EDC and that part of a potential lawsuit can be avoided...

·
Registered
37,328 Posts
again this is testimony in court!
by people that are paid to testify, its not judgements that are won or made against someone for using reloads.
there is a difference (huge) between proscecution and a civil liability case.
you can be sued by someone for shooting them even if they were intending to do you harm, you can sue someone for about anything, but thats not a criminal case.
again use your own judgement, you roll yours , i'll roll mine.
the questoion was asked for opinions, thats mine and as mentioned i have never spoke to an attorney, DA, or lawyer, police officer that has actually been a part of any civil or prosecution where reloads entered into the picture.
just ask your lawyer,a judge that you know, a policeman, not what they have heard but what they have actually seen or been part of.

·
Administrator
35,785 Posts
again this is testimony in court!
by people that are paid to testify, its not judgements that are won or made against someone for using reloads.
there is a difference (huge) between proscecution and a civil liability case.
you can be sued by someone for shooting them even if they were intending to do you harm, you can sue someone for about anything, but thats not a criminal case.
again use your own judgement, you roll yours , i'll roll mine.
the questoion was asked for opinions, thats mine and as mentioned i have never spoke to an attorney, DA, or lawyer, police officer that has actually been a part of any civil or prosecution where reloads entered into the picture.
just ask your lawyer,a judge that you know, a policeman, not what they have heard but what they have actually seen or been part of.
Whoa pardner, I'm with you ! :D I agree, it's probably okay. I just don't personally think it's worth it to not just carry factory ammo. That's just me. ;)

FWIW, one of the examples showed that while he was initially successful in fending off the criminal case, he spend over $100,000 in attorneys fees. And he wasn't done defending himself yet. Sheesh.

Reactions: NYPD

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I ONLY carry rounds I make. [handgun]

Same defense can be that you purposely bought
'man-killing' Black Talons or some other 'people-shooting'
bullets made to kill people....not hunt or target.

No worries here.
This question has been asked almost as many times
as 'what's the best carry gun'.....
It's surely in the archives almost anywhere.
Still, no proof it has ever been the reason anyone was prosecuted.

·
Super Moderator
40,714 Posts
If it is a clean shoot, it should never make it to court. In Florida, if it is a clean shoot you are protected from civil lawsuits as well. I have no problem carrying my reloads. I know they are as accurate or more accurate then factory ammo. They work 100% of the time.

As with everything you have to do what you are comfortable with and know the laws of where you are at.

·
Registered
28,625 Posts
I even go so far as to pick rounds that have "defense" in the name. I figure Hornady Critical Defense is way better than Hornady Zombie Max.
Even if it just means not having to explain why green plastic isn't any more irresponsible than red plastic.

·
Registered
28,625 Posts
If it is a clean shoot, it should never make it to court. In Florida, if it is a clean shoot you are protected from civil lawsuits as well. I have no problem carrying my reloads. I know they are as accurate or more accurate then factory ammo. They work 100% of the time.

As with everything you have to do what you are comfortable with and know the laws of where you are at.
There ya go using words like 'should' as if logic and reason had anything to do with the discussion. Whether you wind up in court has more to do with the color of the person you shot, the prosecutor's conviction ratio, how the newspaper article headline read, and the phase of the moon than it does with whether the shooting was justified.

·
Super Moderator
40,714 Posts
There ya go using words like 'should' as if logic and reason had anything to do with the discussion. Whether you wind up in court has more to do with the color of the person you shot, the prosecutor's conviction ratio, how the newspaper article headline read, and the phase of the moon than it does with whether the shooting was justified.
If it's that bad you are going to fry no matter what you used.

·
Registered
28,625 Posts
If it's that bad you are going to fry no matter what you used.
Nope. The purpose of getting you in court isn't seeking justice - it's to make sure all your money goes to the lawyers. Once you're broke, you stand a shot at getting off - it all depends on whose liar - I mean lawyer - is better at making the jury cry.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Other things to consider too....many brands of defensive oriented ammo have features that handloads don't - low flash powder, sealed primers, available data on how the cartridge handles various barriers, etc. Twice a year I buy a box of 20 Hornandy Critical Defense - I put 10 in the clip and shoot the other 10 to stay familiar with how the round feels. I figure that's $50 a year that's well spent.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I carry my hand loads.I trust them 100%,they work every time,100% of the time.They are more accurate than factory rounds and I shoot enough of them to know exactly what they will do.morayman.............

1 - 20 of 67 Posts