Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a Judge Public Defender and have quite a few 250 gr cast lead SWC

I am looking for a good plinking round and want to keep it around 900 fps

I currently have Unique, Bullseye, & 2400 powders.

Any Judge owner have any suggestions?

thanks

·
Registered
896 Posts
Im not a judge owner so take this FWIW,

I really suggest you get a reloading manual. They are worth every penny. Make sure to get 2-3 of them. I recommend Lymans 49th. Covers a bit of lead.
I think Lymans also has one specific for lead. I forgot the name. Of course, Im saying to get these if you dont have any at this time.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im not a judge owner so take this FWIW,

I really suggest you get a reloading manual. They are worth every penny. Make sure to get 2-3 of them. I recommend Lymans 49th. Covers a bit of lead.
I think Lymans also has one specific for lead. I forgot the name. Of course, Im saying to get these if you dont have any at this time.
thanks Josh. I guess I should have been more specific. I am new to the forum and that was a prtty short question. I have lots of manuals (lymans 49th is my favorite) and have been reloadinf for quite a while. I am looking for more specific loads for the Judge. Some say the 45 is not as accurate b/c of the cylinder size so I was curious to see if anyone had any Judge specific loads.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I have a Judge ultralite I bought when they first came out. My old unique load was 7 grains under a 255 grain semi wadcutter. A plinking cowboy type load.Titegroup is powder of choice for plinking loads now because it is not direction sensitive in the large case SD on velocity runs usually really low. From the time the Judge came out I have been reading that they will not group well with 45's. At 25 yards mine groups around 2" to 3" off hand with 45 colt and 45 acp rounds. I have a Tracker in 45 acp and the full moon clips work in the Judge. I bought mine to carry on a zero turn mower to shoot snakes. It stays loaded with Winchester AA #8 or #9 shot and does a wonderful job on copperheads. Any of the cowboy loads shoots good on mine and any of the other Judges we tried them in. Shot more solid bullets doing testing to see if the internet BS about them was true than because myself or friends were carrying them that way. As usual most of the bad was from people that do not own or shoot one.

·
Registered
420 Posts
At 25 yards mine groups around 2" to 3" off hand with 45 colt and 45 acp rounds. I have a Tracker in 45 acp and the full moon clips work in the Judge
So Redneck you don't get any cylinder binding using the moonclips with 45 auto in a Judge? I've considered trying it, but haven't tried it yet.

My SS full size shoot 45Colt pretty accurately at 25yards. I can get a good tight group in center mass. Just picked up a Poly PD and did not get the same accuracy, but I've only had one outing with it.

Glad you decided to give the Judge a try Jed!

·
Registered
810 Posts
Since they first came out my perception was that a reduction in accuracy would be the understood tradeoff with these multi-caliber/.410 shotgun pistols (Judge and S&W's Governor)? By that I mean as compared to firearms designed around only the pistol caliber and a separate short barreled .410 shotgun.

Kind of like those combo DVD/VCR/TV sets that use lower quality components and throw them into one package for 'convenience'? One can end up with the worst features of each unit viewed independently?

·
Registered
337 Posts
I reloaded .45 Colt with hard cast and know for sure the Unique is the best choice. It was made just for this use. (Smokeless in an original Black Powder cartridge)
You'll love it. I can't give you data as mine was for a Ruger Blackhawk. I would keep it in the 800 fps range or less with 250 grain bullet to avoid battering the Judge.

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
I picked up a Judge Public Defender and have quite a few 250 gr cast lead SWC I am looking for a good plinking round and want to keep it around 900 fps I currently have Unique, Bullseye, & 2400 powders. Any Judge owner have any suggestions? thanks
I seen a 'ol boy with brass 410 shells he had reloaded using cast SWC of a unknown weight for his derringer. Said that that put the bullet closer to where the rifleing started and made it shoot better.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I read where the moon clips for the 45 acp Tracker will not work in the Judge, but have yet to see one they did not work in. We used them in 3 different Circuit Judge rifle/shot guns with no problems shooting 45 acp hard ball, cast , and jhp. Shot the same loads in the Judges.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
With a few spare minutes humor an old man on some of the things I see written about the Judges. The thing about using brass hull/case 410 shells both with shot or bullets. The cylinder for the 45/410 judge is chambered for the 45 colt round. The end of the chamber stops a 454 round from being chambered. The smaller diameter of the throat can be seen on some 410 hulls after firing. To size a brass case/hull small enough to chamber past this throat is possible. Where the problem would come in with the Judge is the case expanding on firing. The throat being smaller form a slight step. The case/hull would probably stick. Also unless a powder like Titegroup is used ignition in the long case without a over powder card/wad can cause ignition problems.
The issue with using the Tracker 45 acp full moon clips came up on a different forum a while back. At the time a friend knew I owned both the Tracker and the Judge. He saw the question and ask if they worked. When I had time I dropped a moon clip of 45 acp rounds in the Judge and shot them with no problem. From then until now we have fired several hundred 45 acp rounds through different Judge handguns, and Circuit Judge rifle/shotguns. The 230 grain loads usually shoot about the same groups the 45 Colts shoot. Cast bullets shoot better in some guns than others, as do jacketed in some guns.
The Taurus Judge is no different than any given model of gun made by Taurus, Ruger, Smith or any other company. Guns are like women, no two are exactly alike, even twins. There are likes and dislikes, some women are picky, and some easy to please. Some guns shoot anything, some are one pet load only. I have a old Smith Target revolver in 45 acp that loves cast semi wadcutters in 255 grain. That is normally a 45colt bullet, it shoots patterns with hardball. Another old Smith shoots hardball great. My Trackers in 45 acp shoot both. Try different loads and see what the gun likes. Forgive spelling and my ability to slay the queens English. I speak redneck fluently.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Thanks TOR, I'll have to pick up a few tracker moon clips and have a little fun! :D

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have two loads that I have had outstanding results with. I've never chrono'd either but they have been very accurate for me. If you search my posts, I have a post in the Judge sub-forum with some targets. I took out a coyote with one of these loads in the 20 yd range with a head shot.

First load is with some LRNFP 250g projectiles I bought that have the poly coating making them DARK gray:
6.0g Win231
OAL 1.58

My preferred load that's easier to load and much easier to roll crimp since in has the grooves on the bottom, is one I cast myself. It's the Lee TL 230-452 LRN.
6.8g Win 231
OAL 1.58

I bought this mould for .45acp and my 1911s but it makes a nice 45C bullet too. I do resize my .45acp rnds to .451 but leave the 45C at .452.

Brad

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
OK folks, I am vocal about things when I try them and they work or do not work. Was raised to be quick to admit being wrong the same way. After reading all the pro and con about the 45 acp rounds in the Judges and trying it my self I was satisfied it was OK. A friend ask me about something he was reading about how thin the cylinder walls on a Judge are. After measuring cylinder walls on Judges, Trackers, and several other revolvers I also took the Taurus manual and looked at their velocity, bullet weight guide. Then took several reloading manuals and cross referenced pressures. The difference between the colt and acp pressure range is enough that with the thin cylinder walls of the Judge it can be dangerous. With Smith coming out with their version that is rated for the acp it would be to Taurus advantage to OK the use of the acp. They have full moon clips already, I believe the thin cylinder walls is the reason.
Taurus knows what the pressure limits of the cylinders are, if they don't yield to the pressure of competition that in itself proves me wrong. Don't shoot the acp rounds in Judges unless Taurus changes their stand. Pass the crow. TOR

·
Registered
203 Posts
Just to clarify. I was using a 230g projectile I originally cast for .45acp and used it in .45 colt brass using .45 colt data. I did not nor have I ever shot .45acp rounds from my Judge.

Brad

1 - 14 of 14 Posts